Pope Benedict XVI Resigning as Pope!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Lorac, Feb 11, 2013.

1. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I really don't think there is any credence to that. The Catholic Church has endured bad press before and will continue to endure it. And the College of Cardinals is not a legislative assembly that can make suggestions to/requests of the pope. That is not how it works. The majority of them reside and work in their own countries. They gather in what is called a consistory, but only an "extraordinary" consistory requires the presence of all of them and those are rare. The meeting to choose a new pope would essentially be an "extraordinary consistory" but is called a conclave.
  2. bek

bek Guest

The Pope is a head of state and as such has immunity. He actually loses immunity if he gives up said position. I think there is a scandal maybe coming he doesn't feel like he can handle. But I'm sure there's always stuff going on there. Islam is bigger than Catholicism (although not Christianity as whole) but I suspect Catholicism is by far the largest/most organized religion. As such it no doubts attracts those seeking big time power in its midst.. (I'm not as naive as folks thing. I just trust the Lord being in charge inspite of those folks)

I think the pope was thinking the Church couldn't afford another incapicitated pope.
  3. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I think that, if there was a God, anyone who posted on Page 14 of a thread "I haven't read the thread" and then proceeded to give an opinion would be struck by lightening.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You are right. But only to an extent. Because if this thread has 14 pages for you, then you are doing wrong. ;)
  5. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Yes, more than raping children and then covering it up apparently is what the Vatican is saying.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that Cardinal Ratzinger was one of the most powerful people in the Vatican during that time, especially when Pope John Paul II was more or less a vegetable for the last few years of his life. Ratzinger was instrumental in the cover-up of the worldwide child sex abuses.

It makes me want to puke thinking back how many times as children we had to sing "Suffer Little Children" and the Vatican meant it literally. :scream:

:sheep:
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I would have thought lightning would be more appropriate, but if you insist, lightening it is:

His wife has been implicated in the Vatican bicycling team doping scandal. :sekret:
  7. bek

bek Guest

Look allezfred I have no doubt the Lord is going to judge those involved with this scandal and those who covered it up very seriously. In terms of Ratzinger who knows how much power he had however a lot of the sex abuse stuff was going on for a long time. In terms of the sex abuse stuff the Pope was dealing with it from the very beginning and new rules are in place but in terms of the other stuff that is new. The pope giving his own decreasing health is I'm sure concerned if the Vatican is that corrupt.....
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

9. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

He was Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. It's not like he just showed up in 2005 out of nowhere. :lol:
  10. MacMadame

Well it's 15 pages now but her comment was on page 14 for me. I'm using the defaults. Is there a better way?
  11. bek

bek Guest

That is true. I'm frankly really hopeful someone outside the vatican will be elected Pope. Someone who can clean up things. The only problem with this is that it also means they may not know the inner workings of what's going on. But I think the Church desperately needs someone with clean hands and a sterling reputation. However the church needs a get tough personality too.

Someone like Cardinal Tagle of the Phillipines may be great. None of the baggage of his previous folks and a reputation of having a real respect concern for the poor...

It is right though that Pope John Paul II was very weak and it seems Benedict's job was to be the one investigating these things. I'm being unfair to the former Pope..

I'm glad the abuse stuff came out no matter how much it hurts. These type of things will come out because its forcing the Church to change.. I will say this my faith isn't based on the holiness of leaders. Its based on Christ. We have had good, bad, and evil leaders..Christ said this would be the case.

Perhaps a younger person is necessary who isn't associated with all of these issues.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  12. PDilemma

I hope for someone younger, non-European and who has to cancel a return ticket because he has not been working in the Vatican.
  13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I called it on page three, bitches!!! :lol:

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

15. MacMadame

Ha, I first read this as Vatican blasts Sekret Sources!
  16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

It would if it could.
  17. MacMadame

The Vatican is powerful but it doesn't have access to Sekret Sources!
  18. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

We need a survivor of the priestly pedophilia to go in and take care of business.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Show 40 posts per page.

It will never happen.

It's gonna be another European, white technocrat.
  20. bek

bek Guest

Well the popes were all Italian for a long time and that changed. There's some talk though Tagle is not a great administrator which is what we need. Benedict wasn't a great one. It very well might be Canadian.

Talk is the person who was getting the second most votes in the last conclave was a guy from Brazil. There was talk about Turkston but he gave an interview pretty much campaigning acting like he already won. And well the surest way to leave a cardinal is to entire into the conclave a Pope.

In terms of the next pope being American-not going to happen. But I know a couple of archbishops who are Mexican born in the USA. Not going to be pope this time but I can't help wondering if in the future one of them might have a shot... One of them Archbishop Gomez removed Mahoney etc from public service....
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The Church needs someone younger, energetic, and forward-thinking to lead it into the future.
    Given the age and position(s) of the electors, that seems very unlikely.
  22. bek

bek Guest

I actually understand the concerns about a long papacy. The pope can't really be deposed and you may be stuck with him for 30 plus years. Not to mention. Plus it can make the church to much surrounded by one public figure. Not to mention the issue of experience. Benedict may have offered the third way by retiring. Only Nixon could retire, and some are saying only Benedict had the "orthodox" credentials to okay resiging.
  23. skatesindreams

One can honor and be respectful of history and tradition, without being completely resistant to change and growth.
    I hope that such a leader can be found.

I'm not a Catholic, yet I would hate to see the Church become an anachronism in the 21st century.
  24. MacMadame

Eh, I don't see that having less pages makes much difference in my reading enjoyment. I guess I was looking for something that doesn't exist. :lol:
  25. bek

bek Guest

While an American isn't likely some of wondering if O'malley who has a reputation for cleaning house may have a shot. Although OMalley apparently is not good administratively.

The problem with going with someone very young is we don't know a lot about how they will handle running things. Also they really need someone with a well known record... IMO....
  26. PDilemma

27. bek

bek Guest

28. PDilemma

That is correct, those over 80 as of Thursday when the papacy becomes vacant are ineligible to vote. According to one article I read about conclave rules, those over 80 are there for the opening, the taking of oaths (for secrecy's sake) and one of them leads prayers, then they leave the chapel.
  29. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Why? That hasn't worked recently.
  30. skatesindreams

I believe that Pope John Paul II was 58 when he was elected.

The youngest Cardinal is 53; hardly a teenager, or inexperienced!
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  31. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Among the responses:

:hat1:
    once_upon and (deleted member) like this.
  32. PDilemma

Yes. And I think we may very well see another younger Cardinal chosen. I just feel like we will get another surprise pick this time. Ratzinger was not at all a surprise eight years ago and speculation was that the cardinals would prefer an older man as a short term pope to follow the extremely popular and long reign before. I don't think, for all their faults and there are many, that the cardinal electors are stupid. They have to sense that for the future of the church someone younger, energetic and untainted by the previous scandals (or with a track record of addressing them head on in his sphere of influence) would be a wise choice. We have had a long stretch of elderly popes with Benedict's reign and the latter years of JPII's life combined.
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It means you don't have to load anywhere near as many pages.
    MacMadame and (deleted member) like this.
  34. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Okay, now I'm confused. I don't load pages individually - one click and I get to the next one. Does it take more bandwidth to have fewer posts on a page and more pages?
  35. MacMadame

It probably does, milanessa because each page has some fixed content that's always there. But the difference should be negligible for us because we have to stop and read the page and will always take the most time. (It might not be for the servers because they have to serve thousands of pages at a time.)

Anyway, I was annoyed with someone who came into a thread saying "I haven't read any posts, but ..." and said something about how rude it was to do that in a 14 page thread. Ziggy's response was that I was doing it wrong if the thread had that many pages for me.

So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to me to switch how many posts are on a page. Because it's sure not going to stop morons from coming into a thread with hundreds of posts and say "I haven't read the thread but..." :lol: But if it makes it easier to find old posts or see keep up with the flow of conversation or something..... that would be cool.
  36. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Considering the shape the poor man is in, more than likely, but that made me smile nonetheless. :)

I was still up when the Pope made his final Sunday Address to the People in St. Peter's Square and since it's History, tuned in. Two things...

The *people* in attendance!! I mean...Wow!! There was literally not a speck of space left for one more person there yesterday.

Having never seen or heard one of these, we're not Catholic, I was fascinated listening to the Pope speaking to the various Nationality groups in their own language. Now, I do realize for the most part whichever language he was speaking that he actually did not know was spelled out phonetically for him to say on the sheaf of papers he was reading from, but it was still pretty amazing to listen to.

Now, can someone please do a step by step explaination of how things go from here? I realize once Thursday comes, there won't be a Pope until the Conclave votes on one, but what happens between now and then?
  37. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If you have more posts showing on a page, it means less time spent clicking the next page link and loading pages.
  38. Norlite

Norlite New Member

We can strike Britain's Cardinal O'Brien from that list.

He has resigned following allegations of inappropriate behavior going back years. He won't be making the trek to Rome.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-k-car...nclave-after-misconduct-allegations-1.1170394

Also, this election might come sooner than thought

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...Pope-changes-law-to-allow-early-conclave.html
  39. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

My pages load instantly, even on my ancient phone. I don't really see the big deal about how your page views are set. :shrug:
  40. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

By instantly you probably mean 'after one second.' And that's on top of the time spent having to move a mouse to the next page link and then click it.

Think of all the seconds are you wasting. :drama: