Pope Benedict XVI Resigning as Pope!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Lorac, Feb 11, 2013.

1. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

It's quite rational. If he feels he can't to the job with 100% commitment then he is within his right to step down and let someone else lead the one billion Catholics around the world.

Drama? You bet, he's the first one leave his role not by death but by stepping down in almost 600 years. If that's not drama and news worthy, I'm not sure what is, a Kardashian? And although he has alluded to it in the past, I don't think many close to him knew it was even going to happen.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am certainly not close to him but I am not surprised by this decision. I was surprised when he was elected. I heard he is the oldest Pope to be elected in what, 200 years? Hope the cardinals keep the age and state of health of the candidates in mind this time. Ratzinger wasn't the paragon of health even before he was Pope. This job requires a lot of energy and vigor.

3. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I remember reading at the time of his election that it was believed he was chosen as a sort of interim Pope between John Paul II and another, younger Pope who would lead for many years.

It was quite clear at the time that Benedict wasn't expected to live very long and that his brief tenure would be used to determine the future course of the Church.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh so they thought he was elderly, frail and being Pope would do him in even sooner? Nice cardinals. :lynch:

OK, that's not what they may have literally thought but still. :eek:

Oh well, they had 8 years to get their ducks in a row.

5. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

This was mentioned on CNN this morning.

It will be interesting to hear the name of the new Pope. Usually something significant to the name choice the new pope takes.

6. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

the job of a pastor/priest is very consuming often leaving inadequate time to nurture a marriage and be a good parent.

Sounds like you did indeed say that.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

bahahaha!!!:lol:

PDilemma said often, not always.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Just curious, when you say Anglican, is that Episcopalian?

I remember that, as well.

9. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

The Pope sez he'll do the cooking if Ziggy does the laundry. Can a German and a Polish man share an apartment without driving each other crazy?

:cueoddcoupletheme:

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  10. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Yeah, great morals. In Germany, if a Catholic and Protestant want to get married in a Catholic church they have to agree to raise their children in Catholic faith. The Catholic church doesn't recognize gays, they preach to women in Africa where the HIV rate is extremely high, not to use protection when having sex. They don't support equal rights for women and forced millions of people to accept their faith as the only faith. And as far as I know, though I might be mistaken on that, they're the ones responsible for the "witch hunt".
    But yeah, they really have great morals. :rolleyes:

11. bek

bek Guest

I never said changes would lead to corrupt leadership. I said that I worry about corrupt leadership getting carte blanche to change teachings.

We have had corrupt Popes/leaders throughout time. How could we not considering the power in our Church. However all of these folks were bound by Church teaching.

So i.e these folks might be outright hypocrites, but they never "repudiated the official teachings." For example there were popes who went out and had affairs/illegitimate children. But they never got up and announced to the world that premarital and adultery were not mortal sins. Why because these folks are bound by Scripture and Tradition.

The pope for example no matter how much he may want to cannot repudiate the Nicene Creed. He can't say the book of James is no longer Scripture. He's bound by quite a lot of things because of Scripture.

And what i worry about is if you take away that yes straight jacket! Than you give a lot of very corrupt people far more power than they had before.

For example during the Reformation so much corruption in the Church so many corrupt popes. But I remember one day as a Protestant reading the Council of Trent on faith and works, and I was amazed by the use of Scripture and how perfectly James and Paul were correlated together as it talked about we are justified by faith, but faith without love means nothing. Beautiful stuff. And its beautiful because it came really not from those folks but rather from the tradition of the Church. And it was the Tradition of the Church that was speaking in that bright moment.

Not any of those folks bright ideas.. That's what I go to, and that's what I look at. Those folks are bound to reiterate it.

And for the record tradition relates to faith and morals. Practices can change. Priestly celibacy is a practice and its really a little tradition. It can change whenever the church feels its necessary to change. It is not part of the rule faith, it is not dogma.

When I talk about Traditions/teachings I'm talking about these wonderful teachings on love. Reading folks like St Francis, Theresa of Liseaux. Reading church teachings on how the poor and the marginalized really should be treated. Examples like Archbishop Romero. These are things that I find as Catholic meaningful. 2,000 years of contemplation of the meaning of God and who He is....Its amazing stuff. And its stuff that draws me far closer to the Lord.

When I ask myself on things of doctrine or how I should live my life I look towards the traditional teachings of the Church. At times our leaders hypocrites but then I try to do as Jesus says "what they say and not what they do." And I know at times I to am a hypocrite.

Yes we have had corrupt leaders, and people who will answer to the Lord for their actions. However we have also had folks throughout time who in their own imperfect way have lived the teachings of the Church...Or at least truly attempted too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

One of the men being mentioned to replace him is from Montreal. Now that might be interesting--a non-European pope.

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Ratzinger appointed half of the cardinals; JPII the other half. It'll be the same crap, different guy.
    I don't expect the Church to change at all with this. It'll remain the backwards, elephant of an institution it always has been.

For the record, I grew up Catholic.

MacMadame and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I like doing the laundry but hate cooking. That's perfect!

And German men are hot and awesome. :)

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think they should become the latest crime fighting due "Ziggy and the Pope".

16. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

The hit theme would be titled "Ziggy Stardust and the Bishop of Rome".

17. bek

bek Guest

There are two African cardinals on the list as well as a few Latin American popes!

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It's the Episcopalian church in the US and in a few other places, but the Anglican church or Church of England everywhere else.

19. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I must admit that when I heard this news, I wondered if there is something scandalous about to break (maybe involving the Vatileaks affair: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatileaks_scandal) and if the current Pope is leaving to avoid having to deal with the fallout.

20. Prancer

I remember reading at the time of Pope Benedict's election that the next Pope would likely come from Africa or Latin America because that is where Catholicism is expanding. That was part of the prediction about a younger Pope leading the Church into the future.

I wouldn't bet on either one, though.

21. bek

bek Guest

I think an African pope could happen.... He actually wouldn't be the first though Pope Victor I was from Africa...(Although don't know what his skin color was...) In fact there were a few from North Africa...

22. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Hmmm. The rate of pedophilia among priests is actually slightly lower than among the general male population.

Why would you want to receive the sacrament of marriage in a Catholic church if you weren't going to raise your children as Catholics?

I've always felt vaguely sorry for the children of ministers that I've know. The community keeps them under a microscope other children don't have to endure. I'm totally okay with the priesthood as a vocation that excludes marriage. I'm totally NOT okay with it not being open for women.

Pope Benedict made me very nervous when he was first chosen, but from time to time he really surprised me with tiny steps towards loosening some of the rules of the church that I don't like. His stand on the use of condoms was a big story at the time.

Random thoughts from this thread...

I'm hopeful and will be following with great interest as the next Pope is chosen.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Listened to some speculation today with regards to the push to elect either an African or a Latin American Pope. A short list was read but I am so bad with names, I immediately forgot.

24. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

25. Prancer

I couldn't have cared less about receiving anything from the Catholic Church and only considered the idea because it was something that my husband wanted.

I had no intention of raising my children as Catholics, however; that would have been hypocritical and dishonest of me, IMO, since I don't believe in Catholicism.

I would imagine that there are quite a few couples who intend to have interfaith marriages, too, and would want the blessing of both the Catholic Church and their own churches, and the freedom to raise their children with both faiths.

Speaking as the child of a minister, I am quite happy that my parents met, married and had me, even if it did mean that a few narrow-minded people thought I should be some sort of role model. I don't figure that I had it any worse than the children of politicians, schoolteachers or other community-pillar types whose children have to endure the same sort of scrutiny.

Really, if we are going to require celibacy of anyone who has a demanding job with lots of stress or who might have children who might be subjected to community scrutiny, most of us should just give up on the whole idea of ever having sex or a family.

26. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Child sex abuse rates amongst priests and the general male population are not really known. But there isn't much indication that rates are lower with priests (one study showed an abuse rate of around 10% of priests in one year. In other years the number was lower). What we do know is when issues were discovered with priests, those priests were allowed continued access to children--particularly children from vulnerable populations. And that was approved all the way from the Vatican.

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's never going to happen. :p

28. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I know you're supposed to give up something for Lent but this seems a bit much.

kwanfan1818, Andora, Kasey and 13 others like this.
  29. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

:lol:

30. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

It's not a blessing. It's the sacrament of marriage. And you should only receive any sacrament if you are a practicing Catholic with proper intentions. Otherwise it would be sinning.

I would hope that some time in the future there will be a Pope from Africa. Hopefully she'll be a woman- technically- you don't have to be an ordained priest to be the Pope.