Pope Benedict XVI Resigning as Pope!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Lorac, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Coming back to the Argentinian church's involvement with the military junta, whilst nobody has been able to produce solid proof of Francis's collaboration with them, there were priests who had the courage to speak up against them, request them to respect human rights and so forth. Francis wasn't one of them.

2. D&Sfan4ever

D&Sfan4ever Living in a Snark

True, but there is a reason for that, most of them are dead.
    He tried to save as many as he could while trying to stay alive, others were not so careful. I still go to lay some flowers in my second cousins' (twice removed) grave from time to time.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

On Gay Priests, Pope Francis Asks, ‘Who Am I to Judge?’

If Pope Benedict XVI were dead, he'd be rolling in his grave. :shuffle:

4. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I'm hoping that some extremist doesn't go after him. Hoping that, next, he'll allow priests and nuns to marry. And allow marriages outside the church building, as in, in a park, at a reception venue.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I hope that these "enlightened" attitudes spur Pope Francis to "wise decisions and right actions", for the good of the Church and the world.
    (Paraphrasing a prayer from the Episcopal prayer book).

6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I don't understand how what he said is really that groundbreaking in terms of philosophy. It's always been "love the sinner, hate the sin." But I suppose lots of folks have forgotten about the "love the sinner" part. :p And no one but God can judge.

I mean, it's certainly unusual and very very cool coming from the Pope, but he's mostly breaking from tradition. He's not breaking the rules of the religion necessarily.

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

His position is a big step forward from the condemnatory statements made by his predecessor.

8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Sorry, but :rofl:.

9. beepbeep

beepbeep Finally convinced Fabian to shave

He said it to a camera team. I'm in crappy internet land, so finding a video is close to impossible. Search for Papa and Globo TV, you should get something.
    Over here, getting any kind of news on TV that didn't involve the Pope was next to impossible :mad:

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  10. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Sorry, but I fail to see the humor in that. The church needs to make itself more palatable.

11. missing

missing Well-Known Member

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Thanks for the link.

I sure do like this pope way more than the last one!

13. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

He's the best since Pope Paul VI for me. Benedict was actually less conservative than John-Paul, but he didn't have the appealing personality.