Pope Benedict XVI Resigning as Pope!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Lorac, Feb 11, 2013.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Vatican's new spin on Cardinal O'Brien's resignation:
    http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/22645

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Church Chat :shuffle:

3. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

True enough, except I was talking exactly about priests in their 50s versus 70s-80s. But that's just my experience.

I agree with Angelskates.

4. bek

bek Guest

Well I'd like to see the Church be more open with what's going on. I'm not sure I agree for example with if there is a secret file that file only being known to the current Pope when we are electing a new pope. In general I think less secrecy would be a very good thing.

The Church could change its rules on the priesthood allowing married priests. I'm not necessarily against the current rule but it can be changed...Things like that.

The liturgy can always be changed. Practices etc.

I have a really strong background in theology and Scripture. There are things about the Church's teaching that I struggle with but always on those things I can see where the Church is coming from in Scripture and Tradition... I feel Catholicism has by far the best theology.

Now before people start calling me arrogant I'll say this, why would anyone be any particular religion if they didn't think their religion had the best theology...? I will agree that sadly the church doesn't always live its theology....

I became Catholic because inspite its members the Church after all is a hospital for sinners and those sinners certainly include me. I believe in our Church and I believe the way our Church at the very least decides its teachings is the most Scriptural way to do so.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  5. michaelfsfan

michaelfsfan Princess Glee (TM)

6. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

I'm still shocked by the whole Cardinal O'Brien scandal - he's the cardinal for my diocese. I was confirmed by him, all my siblings and cousins were too and he's been our bishop for as long as I can remember (I even remember him giving me a prize at school on prize giving day). That being said, I think his resignation message kind of says it all. It seems especially shocking considering his outspoken stance on gay marriage. He was even given a "Bigot of the Year" award by a gay rights charity here last year.

7. bek

bek Guest

Catholic teaching is based on tradition/Scripture. Given the Church's traditional teaching on said subject the Cardinal probably wouldn't be able to advance in the Church if he argued for anything different.

8. Vagabond

I doubt he wanted to marry any of the young men involved. :shuffle:

9. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Even though he did so dishonestly? The man has admitted his guilt:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21649475

10. Vagabond

:rolleyes: It's my understanding that the victims actually came forward some time ago, not just in the last few days. And no one can really believe that he thought other people were making up allegations very similar to what he actually did while the victims of his conduct remained silent.

Details, please.

:watch:

:blah: His failure to make a specific public apology to his victims and to admit that they were men is intolerable.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. :lynch:

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

A Cardinal who on record as supporting priests being allowed to get married, because of issues with celibacy, but was named bigot of the year for opposing same-sex marriage, who is being exposed as a priest who hit on at least one seminarian and three priests.

I wonder if he ever met J. Edgar Hoover.

12. bek

bek Guest

No kidding he did it dishonestly! Where was I saying he was being honest? I was stating where the hypocrisy would come from. His wanting to move up in the Church. So saying doing what needs to be said. Its not shocking that people would say one thing and do the opposite in order to move up in their career...

Perhaps he may have still believed it but was having a hard time living. But the hypocrisy isn't shocking.

13. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

God I loved that show!Before my time, but I caught it on reruns

14. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I disagree--someone doesn't have to be a militant homophobe in order to advance in any ecclesial structure. All that one has to say is the issue is a sensitive one and socially contested, so we need to dialogues while also upholding core Church teachings. That leaves doors open to move in any number of directions without demonizing any particular side.

Far too often those who are the most outspoken against same-sex relationships are hiding their own same-sex sexual activities.

15. skatesindreams

16. skatesindreams

17. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

My bet is Odilio Scherer of Brazil. He's relatively young by papal standards (63), the pope was supposed to make a big trip to Brazil this year before his resignation. The biggest expansion of the church right now is in Latin America and Africa. That being said, the other choice I think is Peter Turkson of Ghana, again, younger by papal standards, could help bring an even bigger presence to Africa where they have big potential for expanding their base, and I believe he is on the more conservative end of the church. If they want to keep it in Europe Erdo of Hungary, Barbarin of France are potential picks, and of course if they want an Italian Cardinal I think Angelo Scola, Angelo Bagnasco and possibly Amato, but I don't think they want to elect anyone who is older than 70. I believe Ratzinger was more of a transitional pope after such a long papacy that preceded him that they'll want someone who will be in that role for a generation. I could be wrong, they could go with someone who could be a complete surprise.

They could go with Marc Oulette of Canada... :scream:

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There is no way they will elect a black Pope. Scherer maybe but my bets are on somebody European.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I heard the Canadian is on the short list.

20. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I'm Canadian and that thought makes me :scream:

21. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Another Canadian Catholic who shudders at the thought of Oulette as Pope. So does my 80 yr old devout mother.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Cell phone jamming devices--crackdown on indiscreet cardinals

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why?

24. skatesindreams

Everything I've heard about him indicates that he is extremely conservative; particularly about all issues involving women.

25. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Quebeckers cool to Cardinal Ouellet’s papal candidacy.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...inal-ouellets-papal-candidacy/article9563750/

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

He's probably going to win then. :p

27. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

So one of my racist Appalachian hillbilly relatives mused on Facebook this morning that if we had a conclave to elect presidents in the U.S. we never would have "got stuck" with a black president.

I am now wishing for Cardinal Turkson of Ghana to be chosen. Just for the sake of seeing what kind of meltdown these people, all of them Catholic, have.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  28. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

That's funny because, if we'd had a conclave, whose to say we wouldn't have had a black president ages ago and a woman at some point too. ;)

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I agree with your sentiment but unfortunately the African bishops are amongst the most conservative ones. :/

30. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

The only possible good outcome if Oulette were to become Pope is that perhaps it would further unite the women of the church to actively protest the exclusion of women. His actions certainly have here in Canada.