Poodles on Parade: 2012 Westminster Dog Show tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Feb 13, 2012.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

2. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the nights when Manhattan truly goes to the :dog: :dog: :dog: !!! :lol:

I actually love seeing them trot from the hotels to Madison Square Garden. :)

A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend is the security chief at one of the main hotels in the area, he says having all those dogs in one building is actually a riot. They're usually very well-behaved but every once in a while ya get one that is just SO excited to be at the Big Show that it ends up humping a leg or tinkling! :lol:

And of course the little fou-fou diva dogs that virtually get carried in on silk pillows, they're hysterical! :rofl:

3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

4. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Meh. Another frou frou favorite.

Goooo, Whippets! Chanel, who could be twinsies with my girl, :swoon: Miss Dog, won Best in Breed today, and I hope she can :kickass: [tonight?] and duplicate her Hound group victory from 2010.

5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie...Oi, Oi, Oi!!!!

eta: look at who's trying to impersonate my Aussie :yikes: Coup d'etat by a Poodle

Those poodles are trying to take over all the groups....now they want to be a Herder!

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My Alaskan Malamute will be watching (and so will I.):)

7. rfisher

All part of our evil plan to take over the world! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Whippets are pretty awesome. I was out in western OK on a biology field trip when this guy drove up with a couple of whippets in his dog box. He opened the tailgate to the truck and they jumped a blackeared jackrabbit in about 20 seconds. These are big jacks; almost as big as the dog and as fast as a cheeta (will not quite but almost). It was a thrilling race till the jack made it to a hidey hole. We were split in cheering for the dogs and the rabbit to win the race.

skipaway and (deleted member) like this.
  8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:eek: It's called blood lust.

9. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:lol: When it's a nature show, I tend to root for whichever animal is the "star" of episode. When it's hyenas, it's tough, but I still manage ... usually :( for the put-upon "low level" ones who end up having just the picked over bones and hooves for dinner.

10. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Less lucky were the rabbits who managed to squeeze under the fence and into my yard while I was still in Bama. No hidey holes inside the yard, and small bunny brains aren't so good under pressure. They either panicked and had heart attacks (as I hear rabbits will do when petrified), or were murdered :drama: by Miss Dog and her trusty sidekick Peyton.

Either way, the end result was the same. Never has a doggie door and full access to Chez Beefcake all day long been less desirable than those two moments in time. Rabbit's foot isn't so lucky when it's attached to the leg, fresh, and hidden between one's couch cushions.

11. rfisher

I'd say not. :lol: They're just doing what they were born to do.

12. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Hope I've got these right. The Wirehaired Dockie won the Hound. The peek won the Toy group. Martha Stewart has a group winner coming up, a Chow.

13. rfisher

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2012/results/group/non-sporting.html

results. USA only showed one hour tonight.

The whippet placed 3rd in the hound group.
    Dalmation won the non-sporting. That's never good because people get all 100 Dalmation happy eyes and they can be very difficult dogs to deal with and take the right owners. A lot of them end up in rescue or shelters. :(

14. JAF

JAF Well-Known Member

15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Rachael Flatt weighs in on twitter:

Took me a second to recognize that OES is Old English Sheepdog and not Obscure European Skater :lol:

16. rfisher

:lol: I take it her dog is named Fred.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Bite your tongue. :scream:

:lol: Me too.

18. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Peke Peke Peke Peke!

See, you jinxed the poodles with the thread title.

And while I get all the continuing Uno love, Stump is my favorite WKC winner. I loved him the first time I saw him compete before his retirement/comeback--the first Sussex Spaniel I ever saw. Meanwhile my brother's coworker is friends with the owners of Hickory, last year's winner. Demonstrating I am far too weird about dogs, I considered asking him to ask coworker to ask Hickory's owners if Hickory gives authographs (pawgraphs?)

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

IIRC, she has two sheepdogs named Fred and Ethel.

20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

My 3 favorite Westminster winners were Josh the Newfie, the '87 Shepherd (just because I worship the breed) and that adorable little Papillion that fit into the cup. :lol:

Watching the taped coverage now with my Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, my Schnoodle, and my Akita Newfoundland mix. They're all ignoring the tv though. :lol:

ETA - and just finished up the tape. Go Shepherd Go!!! :dog:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

My fave was Josh as well and Uno the beagle.

The toys are next, not my favorite. The hounds are :kickass: :dog:

22. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

As much as Richard Simmons can be annoying, I do give him tremendous credit for when his love of this breed comes up in interviews/appearances, he's always saying that while he's a Dalmation owner, he can also take care of them and provide them w/the enivronment they need to have to be happy. He also always makes sure to mention they're a breed that is prone to deafness and hip dysplasia and unless you're prepared/capable of handing a breed w/those possible problems and can also be high strung, then do yourself and the dog a favour and look at another breed.

That's the sign of a true Dog/Animal Lover there.

I completely forgot WKC was on tonight until halfway through The Voice. Catching the repeat on Animal Planet right now and couldn't help but LOL at the Peke trying to go around the ring. :D My favourites aren't up until tomorrow night in the Sporting Group, although, I did like the look of that new breed for this year from Norway. Also love the American Eskimo and Bichon.

One of my favourite WKC BiS moments was when the Bichon won a few years ago and that lil guy was so excited, when they popped him into the bowl, his front legs were just flying up and down. :D Also loved it when the Newfie won, Uno and that gorgeous German Shepard of a few years ago.

Looking forward to tomorrow night!! :)

23. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I think that Dalmation was superb. But I have a feeling that it's a done deal that the Peke is going to win it all tonight.

BTW, we were pleased to see that our breed, the English Toy Spaniel, made the cut in the Toy Group. Our breed never gets any respect, so it was nice to see the breed do well.

We also liked the Lowchen.

24. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Overall, I think we've got a great group so far going into BIS. Really looking forward to tonight.

Wesminster is like the Superbowl in our family. Sadly, I have no pups to watch it with me, only my overgrown Maine Coon who flops on the back of the chair and glares at me when I pet her.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It's Dalmatian. Again, not my favorite. Liked the German shepherd and the rough collie. Looking forward to the working group tonight. Newfies! Malachy the Peke is great, darn it. He is going to Patrick Chan it, innit.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  26. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Our german shepherd was very interested last night. Stood in front of the tv, cocking her head, and grumbling. She even tried to look behind the tv to see where the dogs were. :lol:

Kruss and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE German Shepherds, so I was so excited last night. :)

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

29. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Wheeee! One of my neighbors won Best in Breed. I had no idea she had show dogs; she owns a grooming parlor, so she's always got a yard and houseful of dogs, but none of them ever struck me as anything special :shuffle:.

30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo