Poll: Where do YOU want 2011 Worlds to be held?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Bryan, Mar 16, 2011.

Where do you want to see 2011 Worlds held?

1. Lausanne

60 vote(s)
    25.2%
  2. Turin

26 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Malmo

18 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. Moscow

79 vote(s)
    33.2%
  5. Tokyo in October

12 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Just cancel this year's competition altogether

43 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. Bryan

Bryan New Member

With all the Worlds discussion in Great Skate Debate, just thought it'd be fun to run a poll and see where we, the fans, want to see 2011 Worlds held.

Just assume that any European city will hold a late spring competition.

My personal choice would be Lausanne. Even though Switzerland just held Europeans, it's been 14 years since they last had Worlds. Turin just had them last year, Sweden in 2008, and Moscow in 2005. I believe in spreading the wealth. :)

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I voted for Lausanne, out of these choices. Hasn't the US offered Colorado Springs, though? If so, I would go for that as my first choice. I would also like to see at least some of the funds raised from Worlds to go towards relief/rebuilding for the Japanese people.

3. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Cleveland, Ohio! :p

4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I don't really care where the worlds is held, so long as they aren't cancelled and i'd prefer if they took place sooner rather than later (ie not in October).

5. a56

a56 New Member

The USFSA has apparently offered Colorado Springs, Colorado and Lake Placid, New York.

Moscow is my choice because it is so close to a major international airport (very convenient), plus I wanted to see Russia host another worlds, even if it is a bare bones worlds.

6. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

My vote goes to Switzerland. :)

7. yunasashafan

yunasashafan Member

Indianapolis, IN !!!!

Or Colorado Springs to be more realistic :)

8. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Everett, WA

9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I will vote Malmo because I just got back in touch with a really good friend who lives there and I could stay with her. Not that I would be able to go, but if I could, I could stay with her. And I have never been to Sweden.

Torino- they've done events galore, but I wouldn't wish those seats on anyone.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

You mean the option "My backyard" isn't even listed??? :eek: ;)

11. seaner00

seaner00 New Member

I'm saying Moscow because I think they can get more volunteers than the other cities.

but at this point I just want the Worlds to happen soon, I dont care where.

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Euros already were in Switzerland.
    So, maybe Turin. ;)

13. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I don't really care where they are held, as long as it's not in October and as long as it's not cancelled!

14. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

I think Moscow is now the place that offered most guarantees than the other candidates: they spoken clearly of main rink, practice rink, hotels, airport, visa, volunteers and knowledge in the nearby (since it's the same rink of the Cup of Russia)..they had government support and seems to me that it came after deep consideration (since in a first moment they denied having proposed their site, and they confirmed only today thorugh sport ministry).

then, let's see what happen...

15. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I would love to see Worlds in Russia!!!

And I want to see Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva sitting in the audience cheering on the ladies - before they take over!!!

16. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I voted for Moscow but my personal wish was not among the selections: Colorado Springs!

17. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

As long as it's not in October, I don't care where either.

18. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I didn't vote for anything because the choices were too limited.

My vote would be almost anywhere that can get their act together before about mid June. If it can't get done by then, my vote would be cancel it. I know top skaters train year round, but they do need a period to lighten up between seasons, so it is just unconscionable to ask them to spend this summer peaking toward Worlds in October.

I didn't know Malmo was in the mix and don't know anything about that facility. I vote not Turin, as I understand it to be about as uncomfortable as an arena can get (well, as uncomfortable as a heated arena can get).

Apparently, USFS has also offered alternatives of Colorado Springs and Lake Placid in May. I don't know what time frames any of the alternate sites are suggesting.

19. chmea

chmea New Member

Anywhere but russia...please.

2010 was finally a year I saw some fairness in the judging. No russians on top in pairs and dance (both at the Olympic and Worlds) and deservedly of course :saint: :encore:

Unfortunately, I know that next olympic will not be as fair, but a WC held in russia this year would mean russian federation playing their politic even faster to push their ''untalented'' skaters to the top. And we know who they are. I'm wondering why they want the worlds so much now that Worlds might be moved ?! and of course their incompetent and stupid friend speedy is always there to support them :rolleyes:

20. quikrush

quikrush New Member

From what I've read, Russians do seem to be the most well prepared. Like the others said, please just make it happen as soon as possible, I don't really care where.

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I second this option.

22. aussieSKATES

aussieSKATES Member

aussieSKATES was all set to report from the Yoyogi Stadium from Monday.

The idea of holding the event in Lausanne, Torino or Moscow won't make it possible for us to attend. The airfare alone is more than our current budget will allow. Return airfares from Melbourne to Narita are AUD 900. Return airfares from Melbourne to the other proposed cities are in the AUD 2500 - 3000 bracket.

23. midas777

midas777 New Member

There is no important where 2011 Worlds will be held. The most important thing for me, is real possibility to be held in those contries as listed. Anyway I voted to Moscow. I think Russia has real potential.

24. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

My choice would be Victoria, B.C. or Colorado Springs, Co.

25. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers Active Member

Having just experienced Junior Nats/Canadians, I think Victoria would be a great choice! Great hotels, great restaurants (and lots of them), lots to do and see, really friendly people, and rinks are in good shape. (The practise rink was pretty dumpy, but it would work.) Given how nice the weather was in January, I have to think the weather would be fabulous in April or May. And its only a ferry ride or short flight to Vancouver. The little airport might be a little busy, but that's only a small incovenience under the circumstances.

26. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

The moon.

I mean, it was offering itself on Saturday.

27. a56

a56 New Member

An outdoor frozen pond - of course, at the risk of this.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  28. mia joy

mia joy New Member

hey guys,
    since we have now this situation when nothing is certain, we don't know the fate of the 2011 Worlds yet and still have to hungrily wait for any update on this, I thought we could use some figure skating fun :)

I've created this 30 day figure skating challenge on FB - if you know the 30 day song challenge, this is basically the same thing, just about our sport. Feel free to join me in this, share some skating links on facebook and maybe it will brighten the upcoming month at least a little bit ;)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/30-d...ure-skating-challenge/208410745835897?sk=info

29. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

:respec: THIS!!!

I know it won't happen, but we could use Conseco and kick out the Pacers. They aren't doing anything anyway.... :)

I would definitely volunteer - 20 minutes from home.

30. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

Moscow and hopefully next month!!