Poison ivy!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sarah, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I don't think the rash will be gone by the wedding, but itching should be gone by then with the higher dosage. Hopefully, you can get the topical soon. Good luck! Poison ivy sucks.

2. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

I don't either (at least on my right arm), but I'm hopefully my face will be better. That's actually the part that has healed the most thus far. It's not super noticeable on my face even now so I can only hope. My left hand unfortunately and my right arm won't be so lucky. So I'll have some interesting scars on photos involving my left hand with the ring. Oh well. At least I'll have some interesting stories!

Now, my bigger issue: will all the wonderful food still taste like metal come Sunday? Probably. I know a lot of people are super hungry on prednisone. My issue is everything tastes like metal so I don't want to eat anything!

Feeling mentally better this evening. Thanks everyone!

3. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Hope the meds are working and you are able to get some sleep! If I remember correctly - and it was several years ago - the topical medication comes with some pretty specific instructions and it's best to follow them to the letter.

Have a wonderful, memorable (!) wedding, Sarah.

4. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Thanks!

The topical ointment doesn't actually say much beyond "apply a thin layer to the skin 2x daily" so that's more or less what I'm doing. In the mean time, I'm applying ice whenever the itching starts. Too bad it's freezing in my office today!

Now if only all food didn't taste like metal...

5. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I'm assuming the photos will be digital, so I bet they can photoshop any scars out of the pictures. Unless you just want them in there as a memory of what happened. :lol:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Very true! Professional photos will be definitely be photoshopped. The others, well, we'll see.

Still itchy but I know relief isn't instant. That said, it should be!

7. Ice Queen

Ice Queen New Member

I am glad to hear you saw a dermatologist. I hope that the higher dose of prednisone and the new cream help.

I used to work for a co. that did tree work, and I got alot of poison ivy rashes. Despite knowing what the plant looks like, the oil was on the equipment we used. I even got it once, when I touched a dried up ivy vine. So, I know how miserable that itch can be. When I took the prednisone, it made me itch more, but I have never tolerated meds well. Most people I know that got the rash, received a cortisone injection. I can't take those either. I have tried prescription creams, and they helped a bit. I used a clear calamyn lotion, and that helped dry it up some what. But, it did not make the rash go away any quicker. Most of the time, I found just letting the skin get alot of air helped. I had huge blisters all over my body, and clothes touching my skin made it worse. People that saw me, thought I had been badly burned.

What you are going thru with the rash, is very typical. And it just needs time to dry up. Make sure you limit your time in the shower, and use luke warm water. Limit the amount of soap you use when you shower too. Never rub your skin, just pat gently with a towel. Keep in mind, if you do anything that makes you perspire, the itch will get much worse. Or if you use hot water on the skin, the rash will spread and that is not good. I do hope the new meds will help you sleep. Just use lightweight sheets and blankets. Don't wrap yourself up in a blanket, cause like I said if your skin gets warm the itch will get worse.

8. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Would you have the same reaction to vodka as you have to rubbing alcohol? Might be worth a try.

9. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I had a friend at work a few years ago who actually had to go through two rounds (tapering) of pred before her poison ivy went away. I don't know why. I'm sure you'll get some good advice here. I haven't had it since 10th grade ("a couple" of decades ago). I woke up on a Tuesday and couldn't see because my face was all swollen! My mom took me to the doctor right away. I had gotten poison ivy over Labor Day weekend at a picnic. I can even tell you - Shawnee Park in Portsmouth, Ohio (that's how traumatic it was). I had to start 10th grade on Wednesday in the new high school with 11th and 12th graders with a puffy face and pink stuff all over me!!!!! Gaaaa!!!!

10. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

OK. So I've accepted that the poison ivy won't be gone by the wedding (boo hoo) and I'm worried that the itching won't be gone either (it looks better in place, but I itch like crazy still). But, I need to start making other plans.

What makeup do you all think would best cover poison ivy? I'm going to try and have my mom take me makeup shopping on Saturday so we can find something good to cover up the rash.

New meds are making me feel wonky. It's mostly the RX benadryl type drug that I took last night (I can't for the life of me remember the drug name). I took 2 before bed as directed and woke up 2 hours later (if that) itchy. I ended up sleeping on the couch covered in ice packs and actually slept until 8am when the dogs started licking me in the face. Which would have been fine if I didn't typically leave for work at 8... Ooops. Anyway, I managed to get in to work just before 9am and have been feeling groggy ever since. I'm in a sleepy/groggy haze. I was planning to go ice skating at lunch before my lesson tonight, but it's not happening. I'll just be happy if I make it to the lesson!

I don't think I'm having negative side effects from the prednisone though. I actually feel like I've lost weight this week (pants are feeling loose). That said, I could really use a nap now... I'm trying to figure out how I can manage that one...

11. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I remember when I took prednisone that I felt very lethargic, and also overheated (this was December). I don't remember food tasting weird, though, but everyone reacts differently. I took it for a couple weeks - started out with (I think) 60 mg for a couple days, then 40 for maybe 4 days, then 30, then 20, then 10.

Is the prescription antihistamine Xyxal (pronounced zy' zall)? I take that occasionally for mosquito bites (I tend to get very large welts) and I took it for my allergic reaction to oxycodone after surgery for my broken leg (be grateful you don't have a cast and bandage wrap over the rash :yikes:). I have only taken 1 per day and I always feel very drowsy. With my bites, I tend to take it in the late afternoon/early evening (when I'm out watering and get the bites) so if I'm skating the next day, it's usually worn off by the time I skate (I take the next one when I get home). I'm not sure I'd want to skate with as much meds as you're taking. Be careful. You sure don't want a sprain or (God forbid) a break right before your wedding.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  12. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Not Xyxal. I want to say Hydroxyzine HCL? That sounds/looks right to me. The bottle is next to my bed at home and I'm at work, but... I'm going to try and take it 2-3 hours before bedtime tonight (when I get home from my skating lesson). Hopefully the timing will work better tonight.

As for the itching, I'm so itchy right now it's driving me crazy. I'm probably going to put a call into the dermatologist just to see what she says. I'll sure it's improving some (my face actually looks pretty good and isn't noticeable from a distance) but I have a new patch on my stomach and on my left arm. Hmm. That said, I just threw some cream on it and and am icing and feel some relief. Ice is a (temporary) miracle!

As for skating, I'll take it easy. I'm a super beginner so my I'm not doing too much and between new insoles that hurt and a lack of secure feeling thanks to the meds, I'm not going to be trying anything new today, that's for sure! Hopefully just surviving the group class (and not failing on back 1 foot glides...) and continuing w/ back crossovers in my private.

13. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

For those of who've had poison ivy, is this (Sarah's) an extreme reaction? Sounds horrible. (((Sarah)))

14. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Best wishes for your wedding, and hope you are mostly itch-free by then. If you are going to be on prednisone for 20 days, be careful about staying out of the sun!

15. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Hydroxyzine is more of a sleep-inducing drug and not really an antihistamine, although the drowsy effects are the same. It's a common drug to give to patients after surgery. Definitely keep using the topical cream for itch relief.

16. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

That makes sense. I usually look up all meds I take but this time around... Oh well.

As for the sun, I'm going to do my best to avoid while on the meds. We're not going to the beach post wedding which now is a relief! I'm just not an indoor person so I hate being indoors!

17. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I had an allergic reaction to sitting on my deck for a half in the hour in the Pa. March sun (not hot) about 6 days after I had stopped Doxycycline (they thought I had Lyme's Disease, did not and stopped the drug, didn't think about the sun 6 days later since there were no sun directions warnings on the bottle). Woke up next morning with huge itchy welts all over my body. After my GP incorrectly said I had Pityriasis Rosea, I got to a Derm who agreed with my DH's diagnosis of the sun reaction. She prescribed Clobex (clobetasol propionate), a topical spray, 4 times per day (box says twice per day). Bingo. Most welts gone within two days. It says do not use on face, underarms or groin and avoid contact with eyes and lips, but I think that's because it is a spray). Ask your Derm?

18. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

I'm on the clobetasol propionate ointment (the ointment evidently is fine on the face) 2x a day. My skin feels so strange and tingly when I apply it, but if it works... Maybe I should ask the dermatologist about applying more often? I'll give her a call in the morning.

I did go skating this evening and actually, that was the best thing for me. I sat in the cold rink for a half hour before my class in a t-shirt and froze, but it felt so good on my skin. My legs felt funky, but it was a nice, itch free hour and a half. MY coach was being super conservative during my private so that I didn't add any injuries to my list before the wedding, but it was a good decision to go. So good that I'm debating skating tomorrow at lunch just so I can be cold and itch free. Probably won't happen, but it's an idea.

I'm definitely finding that if I can keep my skin cool, I feel a lot better. Unfortunately, I'm naturally warm so staying cool is a challenge. Oh well, there are always ice packs.

Let's hope for improvement tomorrow!

19. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Progress?

I'm still super itchy, but the spots look very much improved! My left hand in particular. So maybe the prednisone is finally working! In the meantime, I'm forcing myself to freeze. I'm sitting in my house in a tank top freezing, but the air on my skin feels so good. I have a very thin/light/sheer sweater I'll probably wear to work later so I can still let the air get to my arms.

Anyway, just comparing yesterday vs today:

Hand yesterday

Hand today

The main difference is it feels like the swelling has gone down some. Maybe I'll actually be able to wear my ring this weekend!

20. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Lot's less puffy.

Really glad the cold helps it feel better.

21. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

22. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

You looked great, Sarah. Congratulations! :)

23. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Poison ivy is not noticeable at all. What a lovely bride you are! Congratulations to both of you.

24. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Yup! Can't see anything! :) Congrats, and hopefully the itching will go away soon!

25. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

I see nothing but a happy couple! Congratulations

26. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Can't see any poison ivy--that's a lovely dress! :)

27. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

Ditto! Congratulations! :cheer2:

28. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

You are beautiful!

29. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

So I thought I'd bring back this old thread because I have poison ivy. Again. I have an appointment with the dermatologist this morning so hopefully I caught it early enough and we can start the right treatment immediately.

At this point, I don't have a clue when or where I came in contact with poison ivy. Right now, it's mostly clustered on the right side of my face, but I have 2 bumps that appeared this morning on my left wrist and 1 bump on my right ankle. I had a tiny itchy spot on my face Saturday afternoon and by the middle of the night lots of itchy bumps. Now today, it's starting on my wrist/ankle. The only thing I can think of is that I got it from my horse. I was grazing him Friday evening and he slipped/spooked/jumped/who knows what and I took a part of him to my face, the same part of my face where the poison ivy appeared.

Anyway, it's still early so it's not bad or bothering me too much yet, but it didn't start out bad last time either. I've got some on my lips which hurts, but other than that, it's not terrible--it's just going to get worse. I have a tiny bit of ointment left over that I have been using until I get to the doctor today. For someone who doesn't go to the doctor much, I've had way too many doctor visits in the last 6 months (In addition to some other minor things, I was also kicked in the head by a horse in a freak incident 8 weeks ago and dealt with concussion symptoms for a good 6 weeks--they're finally mostly gone and I get bumped in the nose (so more head/face related pain) and now poison ivy). Thankfully nothing I'm dealing with has been too serious, but can I be healthy for a few months?

30. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

Oh dear! Hope you get this resolved quickly. ((((Hugs))))