Plushenko

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lala, Nov 6, 2012.

1. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

:40beers::cheer::respec::hat1:HAPPY BELATED 30TH BIRTHDAY, ZHENYA!!!!:cheer2::encore::cool::plush:

Hang in there, I'm praying for you, you CAN do it! :)

2. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

Stephane's Caruso was really good!!! I love him even more! :) (I also love Evgeni's original one by the way! Very emotional and impressed) Yagudin, Ilia, were wonderful as well!! It was a shame that Brian couldn't participate... I do hope he will get well by TEB :( Thank you Evgeni & his staffs for the amazing anniversary show!!!!

3. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. ciocio

ciocio New Member

Very funny, I like the program very much. It has Pluhy's spins, steps, hand movements. :lol: No 3A, though...:p

5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Do you think, there are people who don't knows Evgeni's style, only just Stephan's?

6. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

I think Lambiel is meant to do a number as a "tribute to Evgeni", not try to make fun of these movements as you suggested.

7. reut

reut Active Member

I have no idea where you saw that I suggested that Stéphane tried to make fun of Evgeni.

8. reut

reut Active Member

Now, you see, this is exactly the kind of joke which is funny but doesn't have the tact Stéphane had in his one towards Evgeni.

9. ciocio

ciocio New Member

:D

10. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

you said yourself "Hilarious. One of the finest skating jokes I've ever seen. " The using of "jokes" could mislead people whose English is as bad as me:(. Now I know it is not what your meant. Sorry if I offended you.

11. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Great cast.... I hope we end up seeing some vids :respec:

12. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

That was really thoughtful. And very subtle.

I love, love, love, love this program for Plushy.

It's interesting to see two of the all-time greats contrasted in this way, especially since Stephane is a much quieter skater while Plushenko immediately commands attention. And I have to say that seeing the two programs back to back made me appreciate Plushenko all the more.

13. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I don't think so, I know it. There are, for instance, fans of Stephane who don't like Evgeni's style in general, so they haven't bothered to watch most of his performances. Nothing surprising, since they are so different. Of course, it's possible to appreciate both, but, unfortunately, many people don't think that way. This is from me as a great fan of Stephane who also happens to respect Evgeni. But, I must say that I too haven't seen as many performances of Evgeni, as I have seen of Stephane :).

14. lauravvv

"Appreciate" as in comparison to Stephane? But you forget that for Evgeni that was a "real" program, while for Stephane it's practically a trifle most likely done in a quite short time as an nice tribute to Evgeni, not a "real" program of his. If Stephane had done his "own" program to this song, it would surely look very different from this. So, it can't be comapared in that sense. Also, about "quietness" and "commanding attention" - for Stephane, that depends on the program. Sometimes his skating is quieter, and sometimes it's not so quiet.

15. shine

shine Well-Known Member

LOL, the Lambiel parts of the program were beautiful, the fake angsty Plushenko parts, not so much. But I did like the Nijinski spin!

And this is the first time I've seen Stephane Lambiel called quiet!

16. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Not in comparison to Stephane because he is his own skater with, as you noted, a very different style. What I meant is that, for me, seeing a great skater like Stephane pay homage to Plushenko (ironically or perhaps purposefully in a style similar to Plushenko's homage to Nijinsky) really highlighted how unique Plushenko's movement is. I know some people criticize Plushy for being "frantic," but his sharp, angular style is not easy to execute and is uniquely his. And seeing first whispers of Plushy in Lambiel's program, and then Plushy himself, very much emphasized that uniqueness for me.

17. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I didn't say, that everybody likes Evgen's style, I said if anybody knows the figure skating, knows his skating, and his name. He is the figure skating in Europe. And you don't forget they really respect, and like each other. If you think, Stephan is more known and beloved skater in real life you are wrong.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  18. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I think it's better performance of Caruso in Prague

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQyvjupC2U and two 3A :)

19. lala

lala Well-Known Member

20. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

Yes,I felt Stephane did exactly "Tribute to Plushenko" too! I am a bit sorry if someone try to make Stephane as a sarcastic man (but, sorry if I misunderstand. I'm not good at English) :shuffle: I want to believe Stephane is nice as a skater and a person, and he is a good co-worker of Evgeni :cheer2:

21. lala

lala Well-Known Member

22. GoGreen

GoGreen New Member

LoL, Lambiel was invited to an ice show and a birthday party, and he has the good mannerism to act as a good guest and pay tribute to his host and friend. Not like some party pooper seeking attention, ;)

23. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Steph likes Evgeni, it was Tribute to Plushenko :)

Plush and Stef,lovely http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1p5rYBsA0I

24. lauravvv

And I didn't say that they don't know Evgeni's skating (and even more - his name) at all. I was implying that there are people who are not THAT familiar with his style, meaning that they haven't seen that many of his programs, and probably the last time they saw one was some time ago, so they may not remember and/or notice all his moves in Stephane's program right away. And I never said that I think that Stephane is a more known and loved skater than Evgeni - I don't know where you did get that. I just said that there are people who don't watch Evgeni's performances as much as they watch Stephane. There is a difference between respecting someone and liking their skating - if someone respects Plushenko, but doesn't like his style that much (and I know for sure that there are such people, no matter if you like it, or not), then they don't watch and don't know most of his performances.

25. lala

lala Well-Known Member

26. lauravvv

I don't think that someone is trying to make Stephane sarcastic. And he surely is not sarcastic. But there is a huge difference between sarcasm, and subtle, well-meant and friendly fun making. Yes, Stephane did a tribute to Evgeni, and I think he truly wanted to show respect to him, but at the same time some of the gestures, like the small "air" kisses were most likely meant to be in good fun - but so that only Evgeni himself, and those who know his syle really well, would get it. But some people seem to not understand that fun making can also be friendly and well-meant. For them it's either this, or that, and no in-betweens :rolleyes:.

27. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Ok, we talked everything in this matter :) ;)

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There are many, especially people who hate watching skating on the Internet and only watch skating on TV channels that rarely show EX skating, and/or who aren't interested in show programs, who would't have remembered the references, necessarily, although they might have wondered why Lambiel was doing a spiral.

29. lauravvv

Also true. But, as for the spiral - those who haven't seen Stephane's exhibition programs may wonder, but actually he's done quite a few spirals in them, just not this half-bielmann style spiral. And the moves that he makes in the beginning are really from Evgeni's 'Tribute to Nijinsky' program, if I remember correctly, and I think that program has been shown on TV, just not so recently ;).

30. lala

lala Well-Known Member