Plushenko

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lala, Nov 6, 2012.

1. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Great cast.... I hope we end up seeing some vids :respec:
  2. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

That was really thoughtful. And very subtle.

I love, love, love, love this program for Plushy.

It's interesting to see two of the all-time greats contrasted in this way, especially since Stephane is a much quieter skater while Plushenko immediately commands attention. And I have to say that seeing the two programs back to back made me appreciate Plushenko all the more.
  3. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I don't think so, I know it. There are, for instance, fans of Stephane who don't like Evgeni's style in general, so they haven't bothered to watch most of his performances. Nothing surprising, since they are so different. Of course, it's possible to appreciate both, but, unfortunately, many people don't think that way. This is from me as a great fan of Stephane who also happens to respect Evgeni. But, I must say that I too haven't seen as many performances of Evgeni, as I have seen of Stephane :).
  4. lauravvv

"Appreciate" as in comparison to Stephane? But you forget that for Evgeni that was a "real" program, while for Stephane it's practically a trifle most likely done in a quite short time as an nice tribute to Evgeni, not a "real" program of his. If Stephane had done his "own" program to this song, it would surely look very different from this. So, it can't be comapared in that sense. Also, about "quietness" and "commanding attention" - for Stephane, that depends on the program. Sometimes his skating is quieter, and sometimes it's not so quiet.
  5. shine

shine Well-Known Member

LOL, the Lambiel parts of the program were beautiful, the fake angsty Plushenko parts, not so much. But I did like the Nijinski spin!

And this is the first time I've seen Stephane Lambiel called quiet!
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  6. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Not in comparison to Stephane because he is his own skater with, as you noted, a very different style. What I meant is that, for me, seeing a great skater like Stephane pay homage to Plushenko (ironically or perhaps purposefully in a style similar to Plushenko's homage to Nijinsky) really highlighted how unique Plushenko's movement is. I know some people criticize Plushy for being "frantic," but his sharp, angular style is not easy to execute and is uniquely his. And seeing first whispers of Plushy in Lambiel's program, and then Plushy himself, very much emphasized that uniqueness for me.
  7. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I didn't say, that everybody likes Evgen's style, I said if anybody knows the figure skating, knows his skating, and his name. He is the figure skating in Europe. And you don't forget they really respect, and like each other. If you think, Stephan is more known and beloved skater in real life you are wrong.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  8. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I think it's better performance of Caruso in Prague

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQyvjupC2U and two 3A :)
  9. lala

lala Well-Known Member

10. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

Yes,I felt Stephane did exactly "Tribute to Plushenko" too! I am a bit sorry if someone try to make Stephane as a sarcastic man (but, sorry if I misunderstand. I'm not good at English) :shuffle: I want to believe Stephane is nice as a skater and a person, and he is a good co-worker of Evgeni :cheer2:
  11. lala

lala Well-Known Member

12. GoGreen

GoGreen New Member

LoL, Lambiel was invited to an ice show and a birthday party, and he has the good mannerism to act as a good guest and pay tribute to his host and friend. Not like some party pooper seeking attention, ;)
  13. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Steph likes Evgeni, it was Tribute to Plushenko :)

Plush and Stef,lovely http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1p5rYBsA0I
  14. lauravvv

And I didn't say that they don't know Evgeni's skating (and even more - his name) at all. I was implying that there are people who are not THAT familiar with his style, meaning that they haven't seen that many of his programs, and probably the last time they saw one was some time ago, so they may not remember and/or notice all his moves in Stephane's program right away. And I never said that I think that Stephane is a more known and loved skater than Evgeni - I don't know where you did get that. I just said that there are people who don't watch Evgeni's performances as much as they watch Stephane. There is a difference between respecting someone and liking their skating - if someone respects Plushenko, but doesn't like his style that much (and I know for sure that there are such people, no matter if you like it, or not), then they don't watch and don't know most of his performances.
  15. lala

lala Well-Known Member

16. lauravvv

I don't think that someone is trying to make Stephane sarcastic. And he surely is not sarcastic. But there is a huge difference between sarcasm, and subtle, well-meant and friendly fun making. Yes, Stephane did a tribute to Evgeni, and I think he truly wanted to show respect to him, but at the same time some of the gestures, like the small "air" kisses were most likely meant to be in good fun - but so that only Evgeni himself, and those who know his syle really well, would get it. But some people seem to not understand that fun making can also be friendly and well-meant. For them it's either this, or that, and no in-betweens :rolleyes:.
  17. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Ok, we talked everything in this matter :) ;)
  18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There are many, especially people who hate watching skating on the Internet and only watch skating on TV channels that rarely show EX skating, and/or who aren't interested in show programs, who would't have remembered the references, necessarily, although they might have wondered why Lambiel was doing a spiral.
  19. lauravvv

Also true. But, as for the spiral - those who haven't seen Stephane's exhibition programs may wonder, but actually he's done quite a few spirals in them, just not this half-bielmann style spiral. And the moves that he makes in the beginning are really from Evgeni's 'Tribute to Nijinsky' program, if I remember correctly, and I think that program has been shown on TV, just not so recently ;).
  20. lala

lala Well-Known Member

21. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

I recommend: Kings on Ice 2012 Bucharest Lambiel :) music - Nijinsky

I can not add a link, because I have problems with the internet
    Sorry :(
  22. lauravvv

Here's a link to it. But that was not supposed to be a tribute to Plushenko. It was a remake of Stephane's own exhibition program to 'Magic Stradivarius' (which is a part of 'Tribute to Nijinsky' music, only in different arrangement) which he first skated on 'Art on Ice' with Marton's live playing - some time before Evgeni first skated his 'Tribute to Nijinsky'.
  23. lala

lala Well-Known Member

24. GoGreen

GoGreen New Member

It is great to have these grand ice shows marking significant cornerstones of such an illustrious career. I guess the next big show would be celebrating '20 years together' with Mishin and St Petersburg?
  25. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes, Plushy said this. It was very professional, I think thanks to Yana.
  26. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

Thank you! I know, but I thought that this program is worth recalling ;)
  27. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

you understand English perfectly but I or some of others felt "Hilarious/The funniest skating jokes" were not proper words for Stephane's performance. If some persons took it as a purely joke and his intention was just to make someone fun, I think it was misunderstanding.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  28. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

30. lala

lala Well-Known Member

31. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Awww, that was sweet when he danced with his wife. He looks good with Navka! And Slutskaya looks stunning there.
  32. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  33. lala

lala Well-Known Member

34. LLOS

LLOS New Member

Plushenko is listed for the NRW Trophy in Germany, does someone have an idea if this is official? Can't belive he would come to such a "small" competition. I thought he would start at Nationals...

Gachinski will be there too, maybe Mishin thought, I bring both skaters when I'm there anyway ;)
  35. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Liza Tuk is also on list. Plushenko isn't confirmed yet on his official website, but i think he will compete. Sometime he said that he will compete on some little competiton before Russian Natonal. Do you know that Yuna also will compete there?

http://data17.gallery.ru/albums/gall...src-u4178c.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  36. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Great links! Thanks for posting.
  37. LLOS

LLOS New Member

wow, this is going to be a big competition. To bad there are just 3 rows of seats for the spectators. I guess I must come early to get a seat. I hope they know, it won't be the big Westfalenhalle that they use for Euros/Worlds but just the small practice rink ;) anyway I'm looking forward to this competition :swoon:
  38. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm envious of you. Yes, you need to go early, you have a great seat. :)))

But I thought the competition will be in the big ice rink...Many-many skaters will compete there.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  39. lala

lala Well-Known Member

40. lauravvv

I think other skaters can too when there is still a visible ligth-border to the ice ;). I know that Plushenko is your idol and super hero, but he is not an inhuman superman, and there are things that some other skaters can do just as well as him, if not better (especially when it comes to skating skills).