Plushenko won't go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport over his ineligibility

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Nmsis, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

ETA : But asks the ISU to reverse its decision. (can't edit the title to complete it)

I don't think that has been posted before.
    I was checking the website of L'Equipe for the Euro athletics champs and found this

Roughly translated by Google :

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Yeah him and Mishin expect the ISU to reverse itself and wont go the CAS- i think this was in the original thread about the disqualification
  3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Is he hoping that the ISU will admit it's wrong? :shuffle: That seems like a pretty big gamble...
  4. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I wonder when Plushenko´s time for the appeal in CSA is over? Or is it already?
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  5. Winnipeg

Winnipeg New Member

or arrogance.................:rolleyes::hat1:
    flutzilla1, Kasey, LynnW and 3 others like this.
  6. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

As far as I know, skaters sometimes loose eligibility and then regain it again later (for example those who retired, then skated in shows and then came back because of Olympics, such us Shen/Zhao, Lambiel, Cohen and Pluschenko). So I wonder why he is worried that he lost his eligibility. Can't he reapply again when he needs it?
  7. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

There is a difference between not qualifying for the next year and losing eligibility to qualify/compete. Cohen, Shen/Zhao and Lambiel all took time off from the sport, as did Plushenko before this Olympics. However, they weren't banned or deemed ineligible by breaking rules or doing something that would somehow make them ineligible in the eyes of the ISU.
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Because of the specific rule he broke when the Russian Fed rescinded permission after the ISU questioned his medical excuse, he can ask for reinstatement later, and there is no deadline for this.
  9. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

It certainly would be exciting to have Evgeni in Sochi. He and the ISU will probably find a resolution before then.
  10. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I think that EP has no intention of competing in Sochi. Losing his eligibility this way is exactly what he wanted (again, IMHO) because it allows him to save face. "I would compete but the nasty ISU won't let me."

His mind may still want to compete, but there is just no way his body could handle it.
    Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Isn't Zhao older than him? As long as he doesn't over do it...
  12. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Yes, but Zhao wasn't doing quads and triple axels.....
  13. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I don't know, but IMHO, it would seem that training to win the men's Olympic Gold medal is probably the definition of over doing it. There are at least a half dozen skaters who could potentially be vying for that medal in 2014. No one can afford to rest on their laurels if they are serious about being a contender. Now, if he just wants to go because he loves competing and is only looking to do his best and his placement doesn't matter .... that is another thing entirely :lol::lol::lol:
  14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Don't you mean "his wife"?
    :bribe: :bribe: :bribe:
  15. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I think he had only 2 or 3 weeks' time after the initial ruling, so it's probably already over.

And it seems to be the height of arrogance to NOT take the effort to do what has been suggested as a means of appeal, but to just expect the ISU to adjust their decision without him making any effort whatsoever. It seems that those who are suggesting he never really wanted to compete in Sochi may be right, and he has just sabotaged himself with the whole deal.
  16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Why would Plushenko go to CAS, which de facto requires lawyers and de jure requires paperwork, travel to hearings, etc. and only determines whether the ISU had the right to make him ineligible, when he can back off and ask them to be reinstated in a few years, if he feels like it? He might be angry or annoyed with the ISU decision, but it's a waste of time and money for him to be a martyr.

I don't see where Mishin's comment means that the ISU will adjust their decision without any effort. The effort would be to request reinstatement if and when he's ready, and it's not all that improbable that the ISU would agree, especially since they made an exception for his infraction and allows reinstatement. If they were saying "never", the "never" rule would have applied to his situation, instead of being excluded.
  17. senorita

senorita New Member

What kind of effort? For the athlete appealing to CAS in 3 weeks time, it means he must appeal claiming that the said ISU decision was wrong or false or unfair or something, and he would have to proove why it was not valid. Why or how should he do this if the decision was justified???

Not to mention that this is L' Equipe article and it doesnt quote any direct Plushenko's announcement, in any case, since it is off season, and before jumping on arrogance and all that cosmetic adjectives because he didnt appeal to CAS maybe someone could just read the ISU rules -that had been posted here like 10 times last month-of regaining eligibilty concidering his category of inegibility or just read this :

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  18. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Bye Plushy!
  19. libra

libra New Member

The appeal time is already over. But, as far as I understand the situation, is is the other way round -to appeal means to accuse ISU in being wrong. Not to appeal means that Plushenko agrees with the ISU decision. His plan is that he files a plea with the Russian federation admitting he was in the wrong, the federation supposedly accepts his plea and files a request with the ISU to resume Plushenko's eligibility.
  20. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

He had 2 weeks to file his appeal. That time has past! With Cinquanta still in charge through Sochi Olympics, I believe there is practically no chance in hell that ISU will reverse it's decision. IMHO, the era of Plushenko is finished!
  21. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking, so if Russian federation appeals for him to be reinstated, What reasons will ISU say, that ISU president, Cinquanta doesn't like Plushenko. It is now about reversing their decision, it is about regaining the eligibility.
  22. senorita

senorita New Member

Well according to latest Ciquanta interview he doesnt seem too negative and according to their rules, their decision is reversible, I dont know what Plush team will do, but if nothing else $peedy is interested in $ as well and Plushenko brings them that.
  23. NMURA

NMURA Member

Plushenko is too busy doing shows in Asia.

June 5-6, Hyundai Card Super Match (Seoul)
    June 25-27, Dreams on Ice (Yokohama)
    July 10-11, Fantasy on Ice (Niigata)
    July 16-19, Prince Ice World (Tokyo)
    July 24-25, THE ICE (Aichi)
    Ausust 14-15, Prince Ice World (Okazaki, Aichi)
    Ausust 21-22, Prince Ice World (Hachinohe, Aomori)
    September 4, Artistry on Ice (Beijing)
    September 11-12, Fantasy on Ice (Fukui)
    October 2, Japan Open / Carnival on Ice (Saitama)

At least, Japan Open is OK regardless of his eligibility.
  24. calica

calica Active Member

I do not understand well the topic.

Plushenko lost his eligibility.
    For to return he has two options.
    - to appeal the decision of the ISU.
    - or to give by valid the decision of the ISU and to request again the eligibility.

The decision to appeal already is not possible because he was 3 weeks old from the moment they notified officially the decision of to him.

but he has even the second option. no??:confused:

25. ciocio

ciocio New Member

Yes, of course, he can apply anytime for the reinstatement, that´s why he didin´t appeal.
  26. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

27. Civic

Civic New Member

I'm a longtime Plushy fan but I was totally unaware all this was going on with him.
  28. parasolka

parasolka Member

He is the 8th at Forbes Russia latest ratings(stars ratings not business). Not to mention his wife who has considerable incomes of her own.

http://www.forbesrussia.ru/rating/50-zvezd/2010/plyushchenko
    Sorry I don't have english version.
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  29. senorita

senorita New Member

same news, another article

30. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member