Plushenko withdraws from Rostelecom Cup after having won Volvo Cup (Sr B) in Latvia

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20131113/700869490.html
    ETA an updated version of the article: http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20131113/700869490.html
    16:33 13.11.2013 (Last updated 18:12 13.11.2013)
    ETA #2: Plushenko's programs at last week's Volvo Cup in Riga, Latvia:

SP detailed protocols: http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo22th/ISU/SeniorMen_SP_Scores.pdf
    FS detailed protocols: http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo22th/ISU/SeniorMen_FS_Scores.pdf

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The withdraws this season are reaching ridiculous levels.

3. ciocio

ciocio New Member

He probably won't participate in other competitions until Olys. Maybe Euros, but he could skip it too. A very bad decision in my opinion, he should present his programs in international competitions as often as possible before Sochi.

4. bek

bek Guest

I hope he at least competes at Russian Nationals. It would be unfair if he's automatically given an Olympic spot.

5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

too bad we won't have plushy vs. kovtun pt.1;
    i can't think of the russian fed giving him a bye through nationals, but who knows :D

6. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Both Plushenko and Yuna Kim are following their own path this season--not doing the Grand Prix or any major competition before Sochi (unless Plush shows up at Euros), just a senior B for each. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

I watched Plushenko's Volvo Cup LP yesterday. The jumps were surprisingly solid, but the rest of the program? There's hardly anything in it, just a couple spins and a footwork sequence at the end. If Plushenko got out and competed against some real rivals, I think he'd see that he needs to add transitions & complexity to the program. My worry is, by avoiding real competition, he can persuade himself into thinking this program is enough. I don't understand his strategy--to me, it seems like he's making the same mistakes he did in 2010. But, it's his show and he's going to run it the way he wants to.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  7. ciocio

ciocio New Member

Kovtun won't beat him anyway, unless he is too injured, so he would obviously stay home (attend form the audience).

8. ciocio

ciocio New Member

The program is not ready, I mean he is not ready to skate it as it should. He probably WD because he does not want to push himself too much so early in the season and wasn't able to present other content than he already did in Riga.

9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I agree with both. This is disappointing news. In 2010 he proved he was tops in Europe and beat out solid competition like Lambiel and Joubert, but he avoided the top North American and Asian men all season (he met Weir at CoR). This makes me uneasy. Yu-Na is different. At least she competed at Worlds a few times this quad. But it's his decision, I guess he feels the risk of injury is not worth it. I really hope he does Euros. I can see the Russian fed allowing him to skip Nationals... the other Russian guys are flirting with last place at their GPs. The only way I can see someone else making it is by winning Euros over Plush and Fernandez, and that is not going to happen.

I see him correcting the mistakes of Vancouver in terms of his jump layout and point maximizing strategy, and that's great, but he needs more feedback on the programs and to get a sense of how his PCS will be scored internationally against real competition.

Can anyone confirm that his TES scores from Volvo will count... there was some kind of an issue with not having enough countries represented on the panel?

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Kovtun already knew Plushenko planned to withdraw and mentioned it after COC. Mishin knows what they need to do and they don't need to present it. It's not worth the risk of injury to skate at COR. He's got the points. I would expect him to compete at either Russian Nationals or Europeans but not both. Again there is no need. They've seen what the other skaters are doing (and frankly none of the men are that stellar at this point in the season). The knee injury is a convenient excuse. Let's face it. The focus is on Sochi. Plushenko doesn't need any other comps now that he has the required points. Mishin stated very publically, the programs weren't polished or complete. They were put together at the Volvo comp just to get the TES points. If his jumps are secure (which is the biggest issue), they'll fill in the rest of the blanks between now and February. Plushenko's best bet of a medal at Sochi will be based on his jump content. He will play to his strengths. So would I in his case. And, given the insecurity with jumps exhibited by the other top male contenders, he has a good chance of a medal as long as he doesn't injure himself. Certainly, some of the other men could skate very well at Sochi and win, but they could also fall multiple times. He can only do what he can do. If I were Mishin, I wouldn't risk injury at anything less than Sochi either. Russia can use Nationals and Europeans to pick the World team.

nubka and (deleted member) like this.
  11. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

What a shock... It was so unexpected...

12. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

IKR :wuzrobbed

13. senorita

senorita New Member

No surprise, on the contrary, I was wondering why they were so late, already in Volvo Cup Plushenko stated
    "I just haven't decided yet whether to perform at Moscow stage of ISU Grand Prix circuit," he said, "My main goal is my fourth Olympics, where I want to earn a place at the podium. And I'm ready to change my plans radically to prepare for the Games in the best possible way."

14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to think the feds really ARE conspiring to not replace skaters so their skater's there have less competition. I joked about it earlier in the season, but all the late withdraws are getting ridiculous.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Who is going to replace him? Menshov or Voronov I guess?

I hope it's Menshov since he placed higher than Voronov at NHK.

I highly doubt that his body would be able to take it. He should take it easy until Olympics.

A clean Kovtun should beat him given the amount of quads he is attempting.

16. ciocio

ciocio New Member

If Plushenko is able to deliver the technical content as planned, I think Kovtun will need three quads and some good PCS.

17. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Understandable. His goal is Sochi and Sochi only. I do think he should compete at at least one serious competition before the Olys so that he could see where he is compared to the others, but maybe Rostelecom was just too soon. I'm wondering if he'll compete at Europeans. It would actually be extremely interesting to see him go against Fernandez if the latter finds his top form. Can you imagine Plush being beaten by a Spanish guy right before the Olys? But then again, that might also be a reason for him to skip it and avoid real competition until the ultimate battle.

Either way, his comeback will definitely add spice. I'm in no way a fan of him, but it's gonna be interesting having him around in Sochi.

18. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Why would he think that now? Empty programs have never kept him off the podium before.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Good news, he doesn't need to risk injuring himself at 31 yrs. of age with a history of multiple injuries (& surgeries) over the decades (not to mention a new back/spine), unlike the young ones that are almost half his age and whose bodies are fresh. Also, others need the GP to make a name for themselves, add a medal to their resume, et al. This isn't the case for Evgeni, he's already paid his dues, and he already has 18 GP gold medals, 3 GP silver medals, and 4 GPF gold medals (btw he holds the record for men). :cool: He's more than earned the right to skip a GP or two at this stage in his career, and rightfully so, better to be safe than sorry...

That said, for my own personal selfish reasons I would love to see him do one more Russian Nationals, just to add an 11th National Title (knock on wood) to his resume, and thereby tie John Ferguson Page (Britain), Oliver Honer (Switzerland), and Werner Rittberger (Germany) in number of National Titles Won. Ivan Dinev of Bulgaria holds the record with 14, though his bio says 11, however the Bulgarian National site states 14. The same goes for Euros, if he goes & wins he'll tie Karl Schafer (Austria) with 8 European Titles. Right now he sits in 3rd with 7. Ulrich Salchow of Sweden holds the record at 9. :smokin:

But of course the ultimate destination/goal is the Olympics in his homeland (the first time Russia will ever hold the Winter Olympics). :hat1: So if he has to forego everything else to reach his ultimate destination, then I'm totally fine with it, especially seeing as if he is Russia's pick, he would have to skate 4 times! :eek: He would have to skate the SP & FS for the mens portion in the first ever Team Event, then again the SP & FS in the Individual Event. That's a heck of a lot of skating in thee most watched premiere event at the Winter Olympics. Just hoping & praying his body holds up... :saint:

ps: on that note, I really hope he didn't injure his knee, and is taking it easy on the ole bod, as he has to save it for the truly important competition(s). jmho.

nubka and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Could you post the link to his Volvo Cup skate?

21. morqet

morqet Active Member

Before, there wasn't really anyone capable of producing the TES on the jump elements to overtake him, even if they got solid PCS. But if Chan & Fernanadez, who have free skates with multiple quads, and maybe Hanyu, Takahashi or even Machida skate clean, Plushenko's empty programs wouldn't be enough.

22. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Wow. I really thought that Plushy would appear at Rostelecom. So Russian Nationals are next? Very similar to Evan's scenario, although Evan has yet to skate in a "Volvo Cup" equivalent.

23. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I just can't believe that. IMO, Plushenko is held to a different standard and he knows it. If, say, Fernandez had skated Plushenko's exact same programs at NHK, he would not have scored anywhere near 260.

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I actually don't think this is true. He "thinks" he's held to a different standard but that assumption cost him the Gold last time and could cost him more this time. Plus "absence does not make the heart grow fonder" when it comes to figure skating judges IMHO

25. ciocio

ciocio New Member

That was a B event, not the real thing (the Olympics).

26. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

One would think, but given the already inflated PCS he got at Volvo Cup for his programs, plus the general boost he'll get for sentiment sake skating in his final event in his home country....? :slinkaway

27. lala

lala Well-Known Member

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/659139
    Shortly....

Mishin said that Plushy will not perform at the Grand Prix "Rostelecom Cup" (22-24.11.2013)!
    Before the Russian and European championships, he will perform at another smaller competition.
    There will be changes in the Short Program, they prepared a "surprise".

28. elif

elif Active Member

I think Plusenko learned from 2010. His five jumping passes after the half of the program and two of them in combination. He is even doing 3 jump combo. (3Lutz+2T+2Lo) He lost gold medal because of this you know.

29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  30. mag

mag Well-Known Member

It is quite possible that any feedback he would receive would be useless to him. He may not be capable of putting more transitions and choreography into his programs while still landing the jumps. His body is not the same as it was even 4 years ago and he wasn't really doing serious choreography then. I think their strategy of putting the programs out at a Sr. B that he can easily win, and then qualifying his skate by saying that they just haven't added in the choreography, and then keeping him out of competition until the Olympics, is brilliant. By the time Sochi rolls around, all will be caught up in the hype of having a 3 time Olympic medalist, 4 time Olympian competing, with fluff piece after fluff piece about all the pain and agony he has suffered to get there, and does anything think he won't end up on the podium? No, I don't think he will beat a clean Chan, but I do think he will be on then podium.