Plushenko vs. Chan: Get Ready for a Skating Showdown

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

2. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Is Chan the only one skater who can beat a 29-year old multiple-injured Plushenko skating rather empty programs?:confused:

3. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Clara Peters vs. Yu-Na Kim: Get Ready for a Skating Showdown.

shah, Ozzisk8tr, flutzilla1 and 7 others like this.
  4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

If he's on, Plush will land his jumps. If he's off, Plush will land his jumps. If Chan does his zamboni act and beats Plush with two landed quads and no falls...the Russians aren't going to shrug their shoulders and move on. :watch:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

But what shall Javier Fernandez do?

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Hmm, I thought the waiver was for Euros only. Doesn't Plushenko need more surgery and likely won't be at Worlds this year?

7. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

That's what I understood: Euros only this year.

8. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

OK, I'm guessing that the "showdown" is between these two because it's a Canadian paper?
    As far as the exception being given just for Euros, the article seems to say more.
    Bolded text is my emphasis.

9. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

Be free :mitchell:
    :p

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  10. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I really want Fernandez to win Euros and I think if he goes clean and maybe adds 2 quads in his SP, he can definitely do it!! As far as I understood, Plush will not do Worlds this year? A clean Plushenko vs. a Chan with 1 or 2 mistakes - I think Chan would still win.

11. timing

timing fragrance free

If Plush competes at Euros then he wouldn't he have a minimum score and not need an exception to compete at Worlds?

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Correct. However, it is unknown at this time if Plushenko definitely will compete at Worlds because...

From this December 30, 2011 UPI newswire article: http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2011...hampionships/UPI-42761325278325/?spt=hs&or=sn

13. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I highly doubt it was ever in the plan to compete at Worlds, not this year. Euros they obviously feel confident enough he at least medal and if he doesn't win gold it´ll be because he needs surgery. I predict he won't be seen at Worlds and that we will be :wuzrobbed Javier in a few weeks :D

14. senorita

senorita New Member

Gahh,this article just says nothing, I think the only skater who can beat CHan from now till Sochi is Takahashi or Kozuka with better pcs and if Fernandez keeps on podiums and his pcs rise, then Fernandez. Thats about all. I would want to add Hanyu please on the list.
    Plus Plushenko wont go to Worlds this year, i dont know if he intends to but Mishin had an interview after RN and said he is no letting him go , for clear reasons I guess. Maybe he goes next year to help earn 3 places.

15. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Are we seriously in 2012? Is Plushenko seriously still competing? This just feels unreal.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  16. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Is there really any contest? Plushenko may have been the best 8 years ago, but he's miles behind Chan in artistry, program content, musicality and pretty much every other department that doesn't involve jumping. And Chan's not exactly a bad jumper. Unfortunately, I doubt the judges will see it that way. If they gave Plushenko the Olympic silver in 2010 with his flailing footwork and programs that only would have been acceptable under the 6.0 system, who knows what they'll be willing to give him this time around. IMO, Chan, Dai, Kozuka and pretty much every man in the top 10 are better than Plushenko. What remains to be seen is how many the judges will let him beat.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  17. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

His programs like are sooooooo not empty! They are actually packed with transitions that can only be seen with special 3-D glasses, the kind that only uber-fans like myself and Senorita have... :D :D :D

However, for a small fee and a life-long pledge of Plushyness, you too, can have a pair!
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

18. senorita

senorita New Member

Me I dont see transitions in Plushy programs...:shuffle::shuffle:
    But then again I dont see artistry and musicality in Chan also.:shuffle:

And I said my opinion.

I know! Same that they gave Lysacek the gold also!:slinkaway

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Yes, it sounds ridiculous, but one has to remember that Plushenko will get lots of reputation points. His scores are not going to show that his programmes are empty.

20. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

damn, does that mean he is connected on FSU ? (and who gave him rep btw ??)

21. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Is Takahashi going to stay in through Sochi?

I can't believe Plushy is going to try and come back again next season after yet another surgery. (((Plushy's knees and ankles))) I'm beginning to think the guy has a masochistic streak in him (to match his sadistic streak of inflicting all those Mishin/Marton programs on us.) :p

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I find it amusing after reading about how inflated Chan's scores are all season, I'm now reading how he's a wonderful skater, much better than Plushy, and Plushy is the one with inflated scores and that's the only way he'll beat Chan.

(I do realize it's probably not the same people saying these things about Chan, but it still amuses me.)

23. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

This is premature because only Euros is in the cards this year so grand prix season or worlds 2013 at the earliest and there are great others that have been mentioned.

24. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

There are plenty of young skaters out there now who can and should beat Plushy besides Patrick. I'm hoping Javier beats him at Euro's.

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Oh, but it's much simplier than that!

You see, in the terms of scores inflation :

Chan > everybody else

but

Pluschenko > Chan

You see? So yes, Chan is overmarked compared to Takahashi and the likes, but compared to Pluschenko his marks are more than fair.

26. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

speaking of injured skaters who have been competing since dinosaur times, will Joubert be at Euros this year?

27. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Chan is not so invincible I think.

Plushenko, Takahashi, Kozuka, Fernandez, Hanyu all have a shot at beating him even right now, and the last two's chances are bound to increase between now and Sochi, maybe Kozuka's too as he is still pretty young. Olympics are in Russia and we know the international judges aren't afraid to give Gatchinski huge marks when he skates well, so while he can't challenge Chan yet, I think he could come Sochi. Add to the list Brezina, who seems to have stagnated a bit this season, but has a huge 4s and 3a (and also 4t) and lots of room to grow. If he can get better programs and gain some more artistry and maturity, he could challenge Chan in a season or two as well. Song has no artistry at this point but his jumps speak for themselves and he is storming up the rankings recently, so who knows what could happen with that kid. I fear it's too late for Jeremy but he is scoring very, very well (at least from a PCS standpoint) this season so if he puts it all together, who knows.

Men's skating is at a really great point right now and I'm so excited to see what the next few years bring. I'm not really worried about international competitions becoming the Patrick Chan show because, well frankly Patrick has never been that consistent and is always a little trip-y, and there are so many great talents emerging in the meantime.

28. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

In singles skating no one is invincible.

It's an article in a Canadian paper so they will go with the Canadian angle.

Chan, or any skater, will have to deliver to beat Pluschenko. Not because I think Pluschenko is great but because the only skater Pluschenko didn't beat at his last major outing was the one who did deliver (Evan).

29. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Yes. He'll be going for the outright record of medals earned at Euros. He currently has ten, a record he shares with Ulrich Salchow and Karl Schafer.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Everyone is missing the most important point of this article:

Chan has given an interview about a competitor in which he didn't sound like an egotistical ass.

Bravo :respec: