Plushenko skipping Grand Prix, wants to defend his European title

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by cocovica, Aug 24, 2012.

1. cocovica

cocovica New Member

Plushenko: I’ll Defend European Title
    Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko will be back to defend his title in Zagreb next year but will skip the Grand Prix season, he told R-Sport in a recent interview, and also discussed his new-found love of golf.
    http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120823/175393816.html

Does it mean he is not planing to go to Worlds next year?:rolleyes:

2. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

What's the big problem if he doesn't? He's got to look after those knees.

So I guess this means we wont see him until Russian Nationals. Hope he stays healthy!

3. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Plushy has a record of skipping Worlds, and only competing in Nationals and Europeans but look at 2010 Olympics he was still a medal contender ;)

4. cocovica

cocovica New Member

it is not a problem;) i am just a little bit suprised...

5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I did not think him not mentioning worlds meant no worlds but now that I read with that in mind it he only says Russian natoinals and Euros are definite. I thought it would be vital to go to worlds. But non worlds winners or even participants in 2009 won the Olympics in 2010. Unless he does COR in 2013 I guess he's just going to avoid all percieved non Euro frontrunners until Sochi.

6. ali_dorate

ali_dorate Active Member

Of course he is planning to go to Worlds 2013. Who else could earn 3 entries at Sochi for Russia?

7. love_skate2011

Better to give it to headcase Gachinski again :rofl:

8. caseyedwards

That's another reason why I thought it was likely that he would go. Russia not having three spots would be seen as a major problem. Just because they would not have the max opportunities to for athletes- not even considering that it is very likely that only Plushenko would have a chance to medal. Gachinski has world bronze and Euro silver but did very poorly at 2012 worlds.

Does he concern himself with that? All he needs is one. He can't really trust anyone else to get spots for Sochi though. Russia may have one automatic because they are host.

9. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

But what does the ISU think about it, if he once again skips the worlds?

10. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

But if he does not apply for competing at WORLDS, why ISU has problem with that?

On the other hand, although he did not mention WORLDS in this news, right after 2012 worlds he did say something like he will go to 2013 Worlds.

Just wait and see how would Artur perform in this season. If he beats Plushenko (though not very likely), then he can go to Worlds for Russia.

11. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

I hate to start a :argue: about the infamous 3 spots questions but I doubt the Russian fed cares much about 3 spots. In fact, Piseev would probably rather only have 1 spot if he fears the other 2 are likely to cause embarrassment...

12. love_skate2011

Hey, Voronov and Gachinski can still duke it out for the 2-3 spot :rofl: :p

although these two never had any great accomplishments or medaled high in Big competitions still giving a max 3 entry will still maximize the potential to podium even if the other choices can be a bit headcasey :slinkaway

13. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Why would Russia need three spots for Sochi when they are this weak in the Men's division? Says a lot that they are relying on someone who will 31 to carry them.

14. love_skate2011

Plushenko is still in no doubt their best reliable bullet

but having a max 3 just for the purpose as not to put too much pressure on Plushy by Olympics season, so even though Voronov and Gachinski are both disasters, if Plushy gets 2 spots or maybe 3 spots then the other 2 can still max their purpose even if the two have a longshot of medaling. I really hope they fix this but based on the new Russian mens juniors ( the JGP entries ) the results have been weak so far, so..... :scream: no choice.

15. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Gachinski could, if given the chance.

One bad competition does not a career make.

Thankyou. This is always my point. I love Plushy, but he must EARN his spot just like everyone else should.

16. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Nor does one GOOD (senior international) competition...

17. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gachinski wasn't exactly setting the world on fire during the GP season either if i recall.

18. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

For Plushenko's preferred approach, 2013 Worlds is kind of a lose-lose proposition. If he does poorly, he has damaged his image in the judges eyes and they would do him no favors the Olympic year. If he does reasonably well then he would be stuck doing two GP events next fall and probably the GP final. It's been years since he showed any willingness for that kind of competitive workload.

IMO, he needs either to have a conveniently timed injury after Europeans that keeps him out of Worlds or a conveniently timed injury next fall to limit his GP events to one.

19. love_skate2011

exactly, and Gachinski has already been given many opportunities already
    without that much success other than counting a fluke Worlds medal :shuffle:

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Disappointing. With his programs seemingly ready to go, I expected to at least see him snatch up the TBA at CoR.

Doing Nationals and Euros only isn't good planning, IMHO. He is going to miss out on ISU ranking points that will give him a better starting order at the Olympics. He's also going to miss out on competing with the best Asian and NA skaters, who are his main rivals. Chan in particular looked quite beatable the last two GP seasons, but less so late in the season.

I don't think he'll go to Worlds. Russia doesn't need 3 spots. 2 is plenty. And if whoever gets chosen to go to Worlds can't make the top 10, then that skater doesn't get a chance at the Olympics. Seems fair to me. I don't think the fed wants headcases in front of a home crowd in Sochi.

21. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

On the positive side - no Pluschenko in Moscow.
    On the negative side, it means that some Voronov will replace him.
    :scream:

22. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Not having ISU ranking points and starting in the first warm up group didn't prevent the Chinese pair to win Olympics in 2012, and didn't hurt Plushenko in 2010 either. Skaters like him don't need better starting order any more.

23. love_skate2011

^
    exactly, just look at how Plushenko's first International event at 2012 euros scores
    even he had to do qualifying and didn't hurt his chances of winning Euros. Yuna will probably go to qualifying too
    as she plans to only compete in Worlds ?

:soapbox:

24. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I think Voronov already has 2 GP events....breathe easier Andrey!! :)

25. love_skate2011

No I think only 1, he still needs the 2nd to get Host Pick invitation entry

26. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

He's certainly great enough to do well with an early draw, but he lost the Olympics by a very small margin. Who's to say skating a little later in the SP wouldn't have given him the bump necessary to win? I think he should at least do some b-internationals if he's not going to the GP. If resting his injuries are the concern, he could win those events without doing quads, and use them to test his levels/PCS as well as grabbing some ranking points. IMO he should use everything at his disposal to gain every little advantage he can.

27. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

I would wait a bit before writing him out of worlds.I read another site where he said he was going to both eur and wc but skipping gp. I get the impression that he would like to test out his competitiveness against Chan. I certainly don't think that it would be such a great idea to never confront his major rival before Sochi.

28. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I am a firm believer that skaters should not have to skate in competitions if they don't want to.

The one problem I can see is that results at Worlds will determine how many entries Russia will have at the Olympics. (They are guaranteed one as the host country.) Russia will have only one entry at Worlds, and while Gachinski is probably capable of finishing in the Top Two, he is also capable of finishing out of the Top Ten, which would mean Russia would have only one entry in the Men's competition in Sochi. And, given Plushenko's medical history and the inconsistency of other Russian men, that one man might be someone like Zhan Bush or Artur Arturovich Dmitriev.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  29. caseyedwards

What about Euros silver over much more favored skaters? GP medalists Fernandez and Brezina.

I think all federations want 3 spots. When Russia sent Artem Borodulin to Vancouver he didn't have a chance for a medal or anything. Gave him good experience in international competition. Injuries interfered with his skating but doubt anyone would rather Russia didn't have the spot.

30. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

ITA with everything you wrote. To me it sounds like his knees are not doing that well, and that worries me. If he does not get the ISU ranking, he won't have a chance to even medal in Sochi. The competition is really tough now. OTOH may be he knows the limitations of his aging body and is trying to give himself the best chance to compete in Sochi.