Plushenko out of Olympics (singles); retires from Russian Nationals after winning SP

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by nicecardshark, Dec 25, 2013.

1. nicecardshark

nicecardshark Member

"Plushenko out of Olympic individual event

By Dmitry Zaks (AFP) – 1 hour ago

Moscow — Russian figure skating great Yevgeny Plushenko said Wednesday that nagging injuries will keep him from contesting the individual competition at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games on home soil in Sochi.

The shock decision deprives Russians of the chance to cheer on one of the country's biggest sports stars and cuts short a long-shot comeback from back injury for the flamboyant 31-year-old."

"Plushenko said he will still take part in the newly-created team competition that will be contested in Sochi on a trial basis for the first time.

"I think that I will select the team event and cede my spot in the men's competition to a young athlete," the R-Sport news agency quoted Plushenko as saying on the sidelines of the Russian Championships in Sochi."

"But he only placed second at this week's Russian championships in Sochi after finishing behind 18-year-old Maxim Kovtun in the free programme."

"Plushenko added that he would also skip next month's European Championships in Budapest in order to focus on a fitness programme that could get him back into shape."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...Id=eb3b7387-caaa-4b69-b3ef-a9fe3ccb219e&hl=en

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  2. bek

bek Guest

All I have to say is what a jerk. He hasn't "earned that team spot." Nice that he'll take the event that gives the best shot at an Olympic medal.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I thought a country could not add another skater to the team competition? It does not make sense that Plushenko is open to participating in the team event but not the individual one (that is if he is selected- I doubt he will be unless he does well at Euros and he is not going there). Even if that was allowed-

From the article posted above:

"The Russian figure skating chief added that recent performances meant that Plushenko's place in the team competition in Sochi was not entirely assured.

"The figure skater has every chance of making the Olympic team," Gorshkov simply said."

4. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I think he's more than earned that spot. But if he's in pain, I hope he'll withdraw.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. bek

bek Guest

Based on what-four years ago? If that's the case then maybe Yagudin should go too. I think Katerina Witt and Michelle Kwan could represent their perspective countries as well.

Plushenko isn't showing a good level now. And I'm not convinced at all that he'd do better than Kovtun.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

'I think that I will select the team event and cede my spot in the men's competition to a young athlete' - I'm sorry but his arrogance is just ugly.

Yes, whether you like him or not, he is a figure skating legend and one of the most accomplished Russian skaters in recent years. But Kovtun did skate better at Nationals, he did have a strong season so far and he won fair and square. The Olympic spot isn't Plushenko's to give away. Seriously. :rolleyes:

Moka-Ananas and (deleted member) like this.
  7. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I am a little confused here. Considering that Russia has just one spot in the men's event for the Sochi Olympics, can the Russian Federation send two men there, one to compete in the team event and the other one in the individual event?

8. Vash01

Two years ago he won the Europeans. He can still skate a great SP. We are not talking of 4 years ago. Yagudin retired after 2002- that's 10-11 years ago. No comparison at all.

9. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

What Vash said, I thought only those who are competing already in singles are eligible for the team event. :confused:

10. Vash01

That's exactly my question in post #3. In my opinion the rules should be modified to allow 2 skaters when a country qualifies for the team event, but I don't know what the current rules are. I didn't think they allowed this.

11. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

"He lead the competitin after a short skate" I don't think anyone knows what was said or what's going on especially the writers of these articles.

12. bek

bek Guest

The team event is both a short and a long. Its not like this thing will just affect Plushenko. There is an Olympic gold medal on the line for many athletes. So he was European Champ 2 years ago. Leonova was World Silver medalist two years ago..So should she automatically go even though others are skating better than her now?

Kovtun was a junior skater two years ago.

Plushenko has had more opportunities than most skaters. He's got three Olympic medals including a gold. Why does he have to insist on this spot when someone else is clearly skating better than him.

Kovtun may never have an opportunity to win an Olympic medal. I am not a fan of older skaters should automatically retire for the younger ones. But to insist you deserve a spot on the Olympic team- based on results from two years ago is really wrong.

If he wants to go, he should go to Euros and outskate Kovtun there fair and square.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013
  13. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Fine. Send kovtun. More fun when he fails and all the Plushenko fans can say "if only....!"

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Direct link to ISU Communication No. 1839 - OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES 2014 ENTRIES/PARTICIPATION FIGURE SKATING TEAM EVENT: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=5038 (PDF)
    Relevant excerpts:

15. Vash01

and Kovtun completely blew his performance at last year's worlds. That is why Russia has just one spot in mens event. His being a Jr. skater 2 years ago has no relevance at all.

If Leonova skates well tomorrow and at Euros, she should receive consideration.

16. bek

bek Guest

If she skates well, but Plushenko didn't skate well.

17. caseyedwards

The scheduling is perfect to allow plushenko team and kovtun individual but its not going to happen its all kovtun.

18. BlueRidge

19. bek

bek Guest

What happens if Plush gets injured after the short program, they can't replace him in the team event. Which means the entire Russian team-gets screwed out of an Olympic medal.

Its not even just about Kovtun vs Plushenko. If anything it would be "fairer" to let Plush do the Olympic individual event only and Kovtun do the team. But Plush doesn't want that because the Olympic medal shot is best for him in the team. He's being very selfish.

He wants an Olympic spot he should go to Europeans and out skate Kovtun there.

20. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

What part of "and who have chosen to compete in the Figure Skating Team Event, must list the respective qualified Skaters/Couples of such discipline also as entries for the Figure Skating Team Event and may not enter different Skaters/Couples for such discipline" isn't clear to you?

Maybe Plushy is too dumb to understand the rules but the rest of us shouldn't be.

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for quoting that. It seems pretty clear.

But then let's remember that ISU allowed 3 Chinese teams to skate at Junior Worlds when only two were qualified and they would get away with it if not for the investigative prowess of our own amazing oleada. So who knows what will happen. ;)

22. caseyedwards

They wouldn't be entering two skaters. They'd be entering one who would withdraw and be replaced. That's one.

23. immoimeme

Whose stupid idea was the team event anyway?

Unrelated: how much did $$$$$ TAT buy the bloc?

24. BlueRidge

So Plush would be named to the team, skate the team event withdraw and be replaced by Kovtun for the Men's?

And no one should care that this was a totally dishonest flouting of the rules?

I'm fairly confident that Kovtun will go to the Olys and Plush will not.

And ftr, I don't really care if Russia names Mickey Mouse as their men's skater beyond being interested in how it works under the rules.

Although as far as I'm concerned the team event is an exhibition even they give medals that look real for it. :shuffle:

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It doesn't help that the ISU rules often are not worded expliciitly or clearly enough. :shuffle:

Note that the ISU Communication states: "... This means that if for example an NOC/Member has only one entry for a discipline/competition, this Skater or couple may not choose to skate only the individual OWG competition and skip the Figure Skating Team Event competition."

But the reverse is not explicitly spelled out as being against their rules -- that Plushenko could skate the team event and then withdraw due to injury before the Feb. 10th deadline so that Kovtun can skate the individual event.

26. caseyedwards

Well me too! People just don't go from 5th at a nationals to a worlds. Kovtun has all the backing.

27. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Maybe she "donated" her old furs to bloc federations' fundraising events.

28. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I've had it with this ridiculousness. It happened in Japan and now it looks to be happening in Russia. It's a COMPETITION, folks. If a skater is injured, well, those are the breaks.

(And how much are we supposed to attribute a poor skate to injury? Plush looked good in the SP. Could it be that maybe he just blew the LP, injury or not?)

Would I have liked to see Plushenko pull off the nearly impossible? Sure, it would be a great story. But he's not skating well and, frankly, if he had skated singles in Sochi he would have finished off the podium--I think we all know that. The idea that Plush will skate in the team event (solely for the purpose of greed)--and then "cede" his singles spot to Kovtun--really angers and disgusts me.

:mad::mad::mad:

marmalade and (deleted member) like this.
  29. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

Is he going to Euros?

30. immoimeme

Why not? Go to euros, whip kovtun azz, retire. Then bring his tour to America whee!!

I can dream :-D