Plushenko having back surgery to replace a disc

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Nikki Lee, Jan 31, 2013.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I would chalk it up to a translation issue. I haven't looked at the original Russian but am guessing that's what happened.

2. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Well, one might also ask why a skater would want to attempt a quad with a an injury so serious they have to live on pain killers?

3. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Out of interest does anyone know what drug the skaters get a shot of to numb pain? I remember Alexei Yagudin getting a shot to numb his ankle one worlds and I often wondered how much of your foot it numbs - how much the skater can feel etc. Plenty of skater have received these types of shots so i was just wondering.

4. pinguin

pinguin New Member

To shed some light on this translation issue. In Russian it says

"А сейчас он восстановится сто процентов, он сегодня ходит уже!"

which more precisely translates as "Now he will be recovering (or recovered) 100 percent, today he already walks!"

Personally I find it hard to imagine that he will be able to compete at his former level but then I have no medical knowledge so what do I know. I thought the same when I saw his Eurovision performance in 2008 ;)

5. Glacier cat

Glacier cat Member

:lol: actually I thought so too.. But he came back, and skated even better before, IMO :)

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's a strange way to express yourself in Russian. What was likely meant is that he is in the process of recovering 100% of his function.

7. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Piseev informed today that Plushenko can not compete in World Championships 2013. Not a surprise considering his health.

8. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Glad it was successful and he's listening to his doctors, et al. :) Now he has plenty of time to rest, recuperate, and slowly work his way back to Olympic shape next season. :smokin: