Plushenko having back surgery to replace a disc

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Nikki Lee, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That is HUGE! All rooms are private? Must be nice- when I was in the hospital only ICU rooms were private, then the smallest you could get was a double.

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think if I were well enough after surgery and treatment to snark about the decor, I'd be happy, because it must mean I don't need painkillers anymore.

3. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

From Russian TV news

I don't have any medical knowledge. Is it ok to walk and sit in the bed on the day after surgery?

4. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

In many instances they do want a patient to walk and sit up as soon as they are able after surgeries, Glacier cat. It is important to get the blood flowing through the lower extremities and also for gastrointestinal and urinary functions as well.

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I can second peibeck's post. My father had back surgery when he was 72 and the doctors had him up and walking the next day.

6. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

I agree in the sense that those curtains are not suitable in a hospital environment which has to be bare to be kept as germ-free as possible. The tiles are very middle eastern in appearance, like what you see in Turkey, Rather I was taken aback in the video by the fact of the surgeon having an interview and showing xrays etc in what appeared to be an operating room! Aren't they supposed to be sterile? And yet there were numerous people and a cameraman in the room! Rather strange.
    Plushenko is my favorite skater and I dearly hope that he recovers 100%. His determination overcoming what must have been great pain is awesome. For selfish reasons I would love to see him skate next season but if it means compromising his physical integrity then I'll resign myself and start looking for another charismatic substitute. But so far, nobody inspires me as a replacement!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  7. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I came home to my parents today due to my flu and they told me they've seen an interview with Plush on Russian tv and that even his doctors said they cannot imagine how he could even WALK with these injuries.
    So anyway...if he even manages to step on the ice in Sochi he's my hero.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Which pretty much proves practising quads every day is not really something he should be doing...

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I too will give him respect, but with the caveat that he is crazy and shouldn't necessarily be a role model. :p

10. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

The X Ray of his back....Le YIPE!!! And I thought any X Ray of my left foot was scary due to all the hardware in it.

So am I and sadly, I have a bad feeling about Evgeny and his future off the ice. As the doctor said, the shape his back is still in, how on earth was he able to walk. However any thoughts of him being in Sochi should be only as a Games Ambassador and *only* that. After reading what the Doctor said about the shape of his back, his skating days sound like they should be over period, so he can at least have the best quality of life off ice.

However, it sounds like AFAHC this is only a little bump in the road to Sochi.

If he doesn't listen to medical advice this time, I have a very bad feeling we'll be seeing Evgeni in a wheelchair in about ten years time just due to what he's done to his body. I *really* hope I'm dead wrong about that, as he has little ones who need their Dad to be able to play w/them and run w/them, but I just have a really bad feeling about this. :(

11. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Plushenko has steely determination and no one should be surprised if he continues to compete in Sochi. Wishing him speedy recovery.
    And I do agree with AragornE that he has a young family and one would hope he is fit enough in the next decade to skate, play ball and run with his kids.

12. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

My thoughts exactly. I am very afraid that he will try to compete in Sochi and put his body through only God knows what!!

As much as I love to watch him skate, I really wish he'd retire from competitive skating. His children do not need him to win another medal (of any color). What they DO need is for their Dad to be healthy and able to be there for them in every way possible as they grow up.

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

"Evgeni Plushenko, figure skater...."

:watch:

;)

14. lala

lala Well-Known Member

15. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

If Plushenko decides to train for Sochi Olympics in spite of his health issues, is his choice. He and his family are the ones who have to live with possible consequences.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

We can call him crazy though. I mean pointing the finger at Suguri got boring now so hey, here's a new target finally. :D

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

The hospital room is probably decorated that way to encourage short stays!!!!!!:rofl:

18. bek

bek Guest

I really think its time for Plushenko to call it quits. The man has 3 Olympic medals, multiple world titles/medals....Surely he wants to be able to skate with his kids...I know he's mentioned wanting to coach, I think he'll need his health to teach students awesome jumps... I'm not sure what Plushenko even feels he has to prove? I think in general though athletes are use to abusing their bodies...I can see why Plush wants to relive his glory days.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
  19. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

He will never give up his struggle. I just hope he can compete in Sochi and finish his long glorious career as he wishes.

20. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

And people call Fumie crazy. :shuffle:

21. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

I cannot understand the people. Suguri just does what she wants.

And many people here forgot what Plushenko has done last year in Sheffield. It was just amazing. He can do it again if he is healthy :)

22. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

They can do whatever they want. I'm just pointing out how Fumie has been insulted and derided while Plushenko is doing the same thing but receiving none of the vitriol.

23. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Well, Plushenko still had more success than Fumie Suguri. He even won Nationals while she didn't make it out of sectionals. Whether he can really come back and if so how strong he will be only time will tell. As others said, it is his choice (and also Fumie's choice). They are adults. For many athletes it is hard to find the right time to end their career, because they don't know what will come afterwards, they are missing new goals. This doesn't seem to be the case for Evgeni, though, as he repeadetly talked about his plans to open a figure skating school. I wish him a speedy recovery and the best for the future whatever he chooses to do.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Try the "Plushy withdraws" thread in the Euros forum. :lol:

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The dancer Edward Villella described in his memoir how in the last years of his career, he had to crawl out of bed to the bathroom, because he couldn't walk, and how he had to have very long massages every day before he could stand and walk.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

He's not healthy though. And he won't be. His body won't just miraculously heal itself.

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

28. senorita

senorita New Member

The director of the clinic gave a radio interview about his situation the last couple of years, the procedure they took to decide surgery and this operation results in athletes, although Plush is probably the first of figure skaters..

29. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Some of those comments after the article are :eek:

30. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Plush and Yana are too famous, too succesful, and too rich persons.. :) They are too much in the headlines..