Plushenko having back surgery to replace a disc

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Nikki Lee, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Didn't his wife share the pictures? I don't really see that as an invasion of privacy- heck, the one in the hospital bed it looks like he is posing.

Now if a tabloid snuck in there, I would think it was completely inappropriate.

2. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I can think of 2: Pluschenko (thanks to Rudkovskaya) and Anisina (thanks to Dzhigurda).

3. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

On a more important interior design note, do Israeli hospitals really tile their rooms like that and have heavy curtain tassles?

I found that more unfortunate than the x-rays

4. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I've never been to a hospital, but a heavy curtain sounds right when there is +40 outside and an airconditioner inside.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, I think the decor would have an adverse effect on my recovery. :scream: Is that tassle really a call button? Or have I been watching too much Downton Abbey?

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

It's very obviously a private clinic. If it were a public hospital, he'd be hanging out in a hallway. ;)

7. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Good Luck to Zhenya. I'm an old woman who wasn't a figure skater or an elite athlete of any sort but I have managed to develop arthritis & joint degeneration. Fortunately, I don't need any replacement parts yet but he needs to take good care of his body from here on out & I wish him well.

8. agalisgv

That was my reaction :yikes:

Apparently feng shui hasn't made it to the private Israeli clinics yet. Sorrows....

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Kitsch should be eradicated from hospitals like mutant staph A. :lynch:

10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

For some reason I thought they were made of cartilage and thus would feel more like a nose than a boob. :lol: I know they aren't made of bone.

Hey, I actually think the decor is kind of awesome! At least it isn't boring and sterile! :blah:

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Intervertebral disc:
    From Wiki.

12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Hello! You need to know why she published ;)

http://cursorinfo.co.il/news/sport/...vgeniyu-plyushenko-mozhet-okazatsya-vimislom/
    This is a stupid article.

Plushenko’s Wife Blasts ‘Fake Injury’ Claims

MOSCOW, February 1 (R-Sport) - Former Olympic figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko’s wife slammed claims Friday that her husband faked an injury to hide a poor performance at last month’s European championships.

Plushenko withdrew from the European championships in Zagreb because of injury after finishing sixth in the short program, and his coach Alexei Mishin said Thursday that the skater had successfully undergone an operation on his back at a clinic in Israel.

An unsourced report in the Israeli media Friday claimed Plushenko was not being operated on and insisted Mishin was lying to cover up failure in Zagreb.

Plushenko’s wife Yana Rudkovskaya called the report “shameful”, adding “it’s awful that these sorts of journalists still walk the earth,” in comments on Twitter.

She posted two photographs of Plushenko in a hospital and one of an X-ray apparently showing four metal objects had been inserted into the skater’s spine.

“Zhenya [Plushenko] is still wearing a catheter. But’s he’s already walking,” Rudkovskaya said.

This is the reason why she published.. They are too big stars, the yellow press often publish such a stupid things.

The russian TV news http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXGH7bl3Hzo&feature=youtu.be Plush's interview from the hospital

The hospital:
    The Ramat Aviv Medical Center
    http://www.mcra.co.il/?CategoryID=461

Specialized Clinics - Orthopedics:
    http://www.mcra.co.il/?CategoryID=477&A ... AuthToken=

Operating Theatres:
    http://www.mcra.co.il/?CategoryID=480

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  13. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

It does give me a feeling of going-to-Grandma's nostalgia, I must admit. :slinkaway

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery to Plushenko.

14. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

second that.
    i thought he was out of his mind - crazy in a brave sort of way - to attempt this comeback with the focus on quads and 3 axels.

i suffered a back/neck injury in a car accident last summer and i'm still doing rehab/PT and i'm nowhere near where i was at before.
    i am in awe of Plushenko for skating and competing at such a high level, despite his injuries. i hope he makes a sensible and strong comeback.

15. Anita18

They are definitely more complicated than I expected! :lol:

Hah, maybe because I'm not Caucasian, I don't have the same reaction? My grandma's place was decidedly different from that. :p

16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Actually the "heavy curtain" makes my skin crawl. There's a reason we don't use a lot of fabris in hospital decor. Too hard to keep clean!

17. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

18. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

:lol: They have the exact same patient gowns as we do! Get well Plushenko.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah...

When you're injured, depending on the severity of injury, you'd need something like let's say a year or two years of no strenuous exercise to let your body heal. Obviously, competitive athletes can never afford that. So they do the bare minimum of rest and then return to practice. So the injuries keep piling up and piling up and they're pretty much in constant pain.

Yeah sport is healthy but not at this level.

I think Plushenko has now got to a point where the combination of multiple serious injuries and his age mean he'd be doing very serious damage to his body if he continued.

He's already the most accomplished skater in history (yeah Dick Button had more medals but that was back when figure skating wasn't a "serious sport" and anyone right in their mind recognises Plushenko as number 1 in that regard). He should bow out now instead of entering a few more events only to withdraw after the SP again.

20. Zemgirl

Israel gets a fair amount of medical tourism, and I suspect that the decor is the sort of thing many of the patients (customers) would like.

21. agalisgv

Bless your heart
    Bless their hearts

I've never been to Russia, but some pics I've seen of the interior decor there reminds me of that (very OTT feminine wall patterns accented by heavy textiles).

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It looks cheap and hideous. If I spent big bucks on getting private treatment, I'd expect much better.

I wouldn't have any confidence in a place that didn't look professional.

23. Zemgirl

I don't think you're representative of the potential market, though :D

I agree about the hideous, but I don't know about the cheap. It certainly looks better than any hospital ward I've been to in Israel, except maybe maternity at some medical centers (there's financial incentive for them to make everything nice for expectant and new parents).

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Russian millionaires? I guess that decor would be right up their street. :D

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

26. Zemgirl

I am sure it could be arranged.

27. Anita18

I am easily amused/entertained. :cheer:

28. senorita

senorita New Member

I want this pet too, how can I apply if I m not a russian millonaire?

29. agalisgv

:D

Here's a pic of the rooms they advertise:

http://www.mcra.co.il/ViewImage.asp?Image=http://www.mcra.co.il/_uploads/imagesgallery/83menuha2.jpg

It does have a Russian flavor, no?

I don't know what the public hospitals in Israel look like, but here's a pic of the standard rooms at the public hospital in OK.
    http://www.pspaec.com/images/stories/HEALTHCARE/Norman Regional Hospital/SLIDES_600x400/05.jpg

The bedspread pictured isn't standard (thankfully). The patient must have brought it in. (I believe all patient rooms are private).

Here's a pic of the outside of the public hospital:
    http://www.architectmagazine.com/Images/tmpE825.tmp_tcm20-605067.jpg

30. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis