Plushenko having back surgery to replace a disc

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Nikki Lee, Jan 31, 2013.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

He did say that she was the one who encouraged his comeback in 2010. Perhaps she didn't know the monster she created if she wanted him to back off since then.

2. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes, that's true, she was the one who advised him to return, and she was who said him every day in 2009, "you can do it, you can do it", when Plushy almost gave up the struggle to his weight and fatigue. And that was a good advise, don't you think? Every succesful men has a strong and smart wife.

3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm quite sure I know at least something. ;)

I meant last season (not literally last year, as in 2012). So as you've confirmed, it was in fact his wife who originally prompted him to return to competition.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Latest Reuters article with quotes by Mishin: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/31/figure-skating-plushenko-idUSL4N0B07RS20130131

5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

That sounds awful! Synthetic disc. If he ever wants to compete again he's got a year of recovery and training time but still like wow.

6. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Just in case, having a strong ego isn't necessarily a bad, negative thing lala ;) Actually, I'd go as far as saying that it's a trait shared by a majority of great champions - you need a dose of egoism, you need to be somewhat (or very) self-centered in order to push single-mindedly for excellence (although I am sure that, as with every generality, there are exceptions ;))

I wish Plushenko all the best with his recovery and that he can get back to where he wants to be, be it in his daily life or in competition, should he chose (and be able to) return

7. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I wish him a speedy recovery from the surgery.

8. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by it. As rfisher pointed out above, this is still a new procedure in the US and it appears to be less limiting(in regards to post op range of motion) than a spinal fusion or laminectomy etc. Regardless of whether he returns competitively to the ice, this procedure sounds like something he would need just to live comfortably and relatively pain free on a day to day basis, never mind ice shows and what not.

Here's hoping for full recovery! :cheer2:

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Pain free would be an unfamiliar condition, and I hope he gets it.

10. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

One of my cousins, who is himself a doctor, had surgery in Spain last year to replace one of his degenerated discs with a synthetic one. I don't know if this was the same surgery, but it helped him a lot and the recovery was easier than with any procedure he would have had done in the U.S. His insurance would not cover any of the cost, but he had been in such pain he went ahead and had the surgery anyway. Hopefully Plushenko will make a good recovery, whether he tries to skate again or not.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

For some reason I thought he is having a fusion. And that would be the kiss of death as far as skating goes. I have not yet seen any patients who've had this procedure. Do you know what kind of material they use for the synthetic disc?

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I hope this surgery enables Plushy to skate in Sochi.

13. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

It's some type of polymer but soft and squishy like a real disc. What makes this better than a spinal fusion or laminectomy is, it's less intenisve, the recovery is much shorter and the patient will have the cushioning effect of a disc rather than the limitations of the fusion. Although, my dad has had 3 spinal fusions and pretty much does what he wants, albeit, he's 82 and isn't jumping around on ice skates. The possible complications are that the disc could break and may do so over time. The procedure hasn't been around long enough to know what long term effects, benefits, problems may be, but it seems to be effective in most patients.

I knew he had to have a disc problem when he said his legs were numb at Russian nationals. I hope Plushenko is one of the patients for whom this is a success.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks. I envision something like a mini breast implant. :shuffle:

15. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:rofl: There is a animation of what the disc implant is like here under the "How a Disc is Replaced" heading. http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patient...l-Treatments/Artificial-Disc-Replacement.aspx

"Once the disc is removed, two metal plates are pressed into the bony endplates above and below the space now vacated by the disc. Metal spikes hold these plates in place on the bone. Eventually bone will grow over and around the metal plates. A plastic spacer made of a polyethylene core is put between the plates. The patient's own body weight compresses the spacer after the surgery is complete. The device allows for six degrees of freedom.

Recovery from artificial disc replacement and care afterwards are much like that for other anterior approaches to lumbar spine surgery. In some cases, recovery is faster than for a traditional fusion surgery. There is less pain from the procedure and fewer complications in general. The materials used in artificial disc replacements are similar the materials used in routine hip and knee replacement surgery. The materials are designed not to cause sensitivities once in the body."

16. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

17. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Pelbeck, Six degrees of freedom doesn't seem like a lot of freedom for an activity such as figure skating, for ordinary every day living yes, but not figure skating.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

19. misskarne

misskarne #408

Which also makes me wonder if they've done any investigations of Gachinski's back...

Bionic Plushy time. I just hope he heals well. What else comes after that will come.

20. Glacier cat

Glacier cat Member

I read his interview and it was not only leg. His right side of the body was paralyzed. I hope at least his pain and paralyzed right body will be reversed by rest and the artificial disc.

21. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Eeeeugh! :yikes: Okay, those who think that these kinds of surgeries on a 30-year-old is normal and that Plushenko will not suffer any long-term effects from top-level skating for such a long time, really have to stop.

To be fair, 30 is not THAT old.

However, whether Plushenko will allow himself the time and rest to heal is another thing entirely. :shuffle: He really might try to go for those triple axels and quads before doctor's recommendations!

:rofl: Hopefully it's a little more firm? But I've never touched a fake boob, maybe those are spinal-disc firm to begin with? :lol:

22. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

A real spinal disc is squishy and soft. Their purpose is to act as a shock absorber between adjacent vertebrae. They aren't made of bone. All of ours will deteriorate over time. Some people's just do it earlier due to their physical activity. It's not necessarily common for a 30 yo to have this, but it's not rare among athletes including golfers.

23. misskarne

misskarne #408

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This. Honestly, if he doesn't want to end up on a wheelchair, he'd better bow out gracefully now.

25. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I don't know who is more delusional, Plush or Suguri.: :scream: Know this won't be popular

26. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I'll be happy if he decides to retire. I love him, so I want to him the best.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  27. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I really hope he will take his time to recover, but I guess this is unlikely. I am :yikes: at the thought of what he does to his body ...

28. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Or Plushenko fans; he won't skate competitively anymore.

He will be assigned to grand prix comps and he will withdraw. He will try Russian nationals and if he does poorly in the short he will withdraw. He will ask to be assigned to Euros etc...but his dreams of competing with the world’s best are over. That is a fact. He can skate and try to compete with having as many surgeries as necessary but in reality, he's a done turkey.

I hope he heals the best he can and does shows.

29. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

30. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member