Plushenko having back surgery to replace a disc

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Nikki Lee, Jan 31, 2013.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

For some reason I thought he is having a fusion. And that would be the kiss of death as far as skating goes. I have not yet seen any patients who've had this procedure. Do you know what kind of material they use for the synthetic disc?
  2. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I hope this surgery enables Plushy to skate in Sochi.
  3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

It's some type of polymer but soft and squishy like a real disc. What makes this better than a spinal fusion or laminectomy is, it's less intenisve, the recovery is much shorter and the patient will have the cushioning effect of a disc rather than the limitations of the fusion. Although, my dad has had 3 spinal fusions and pretty much does what he wants, albeit, he's 82 and isn't jumping around on ice skates. The possible complications are that the disc could break and may do so over time. The procedure hasn't been around long enough to know what long term effects, benefits, problems may be, but it seems to be effective in most patients.

I knew he had to have a disc problem when he said his legs were numb at Russian nationals. I hope Plushenko is one of the patients for whom this is a success.
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Thanks. I envision something like a mini breast implant. :shuffle:
  5. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

:rofl: There is a animation of what the disc implant is like here under the "How a Disc is Replaced" heading. http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patient...l-Treatments/Artificial-Disc-Replacement.aspx

"Once the disc is removed, two metal plates are pressed into the bony endplates above and below the space now vacated by the disc. Metal spikes hold these plates in place on the bone. Eventually bone will grow over and around the metal plates. A plastic spacer made of a polyethylene core is put between the plates. The patient's own body weight compresses the spacer after the surgery is complete. The device allows for six degrees of freedom.

Recovery from artificial disc replacement and care afterwards are much like that for other anterior approaches to lumbar spine surgery. In some cases, recovery is faster than for a traditional fusion surgery. There is less pain from the procedure and fewer complications in general. The materials used in artificial disc replacements are similar the materials used in routine hip and knee replacement surgery. The materials are designed not to cause sensitivities once in the body."
  6. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

7. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Pelbeck, Six degrees of freedom doesn't seem like a lot of freedom for an activity such as figure skating, for ordinary every day living yes, but not figure skating.
  8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

9. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Which also makes me wonder if they've done any investigations of Gachinski's back...

Bionic Plushy time. I just hope he heals well. What else comes after that will come.
  10. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

I read his interview and it was not only leg. His right side of the body was paralyzed. I hope at least his pain and paralyzed right body will be reversed by rest and the artificial disc.
  11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Eeeeugh! :yikes: Okay, those who think that these kinds of surgeries on a 30-year-old is normal and that Plushenko will not suffer any long-term effects from top-level skating for such a long time, really have to stop.

To be fair, 30 is not THAT old.

However, whether Plushenko will allow himself the time and rest to heal is another thing entirely. :shuffle: He really might try to go for those triple axels and quads before doctor's recommendations!

:rofl: Hopefully it's a little more firm? But I've never touched a fake boob, maybe those are spinal-disc firm to begin with? :lol:
  12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

A real spinal disc is squishy and soft. Their purpose is to act as a shock absorber between adjacent vertebrae. They aren't made of bone. All of ours will deteriorate over time. Some people's just do it earlier due to their physical activity. It's not necessarily common for a 30 yo to have this, but it's not rare among athletes including golfers.
  13. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This. Honestly, if he doesn't want to end up on a wheelchair, he'd better bow out gracefully now.
  15. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I don't know who is more delusional, Plush or Suguri.: :scream: Know this won't be popular
  16. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I'll be happy if he decides to retire. I love him, so I want to him the best.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  17. jiggs

jiggs New Member

I really hope he will take his time to recover, but I guess this is unlikely. I am :yikes: at the thought of what he does to his body ...
  18. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Or Plushenko fans; he won't skate competitively anymore.

He will be assigned to grand prix comps and he will withdraw. He will try Russian nationals and if he does poorly in the short he will withdraw. He will ask to be assigned to Euros etc...but his dreams of competing with the worldÂ’s best are over. That is a fact. He can skate and try to compete with having as many surgeries as necessary but in reality, he's a done turkey.

I hope he heals the best he can and does shows.
  19. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

20. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

21. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Didn't his wife share the pictures? I don't really see that as an invasion of privacy- heck, the one in the hospital bed it looks like he is posing.

Now if a tabloid snuck in there, I would think it was completely inappropriate.
  22. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I can think of 2: Pluschenko (thanks to Rudkovskaya) and Anisina (thanks to Dzhigurda).
  23. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

On a more important interior design note, do Israeli hospitals really tile their rooms like that and have heavy curtain tassles?

I found that more unfortunate than the x-rays
  24. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I've never been to a hospital, but a heavy curtain sounds right when there is +40 outside and an airconditioner inside.
  25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Yes, I think the decor would have an adverse effect on my recovery. :scream: Is that tassle really a call button? Or have I been watching too much Downton Abbey?
  26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

It's very obviously a private clinic. If it were a public hospital, he'd be hanging out in a hallway. ;)
  27. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Good Luck to Zhenya. I'm an old woman who wasn't a figure skater or an elite athlete of any sort but I have managed to develop arthritis & joint degeneration. Fortunately, I don't need any replacement parts yet but he needs to take good care of his body from here on out & I wish him well.
  28. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

That was my reaction :yikes:

Apparently feng shui hasn't made it to the private Israeli clinics yet. Sorrows....
  29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Kitsch should be eradicated from hospitals like mutant staph A. :lynch:
  30. Anita18

For some reason I thought they were made of cartilage and thus would feel more like a nose than a boob. :lol: I know they aren't made of bone.

Hey, I actually think the decor is kind of awesome! At least it isn't boring and sterile! :blah:
  31. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Intervertebral disc:
    From Wiki.
  32. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Hello! You need to know why she published ;)

http://cursorinfo.co.il/news/sport/...vgeniyu-plyushenko-mozhet-okazatsya-vimislom/
    This is a stupid article.

Plushenko’s Wife Blasts ‘Fake Injury’ Claims

MOSCOW, February 1 (R-Sport) - Former Olympic figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko’s wife slammed claims Friday that her husband faked an injury to hide a poor performance at last month’s European championships.

Plushenko withdrew from the European championships in Zagreb because of injury after finishing sixth in the short program, and his coach Alexei Mishin said Thursday that the skater had successfully undergone an operation on his back at a clinic in Israel.

An unsourced report in the Israeli media Friday claimed Plushenko was not being operated on and insisted Mishin was lying to cover up failure in Zagreb.

Plushenko’s wife Yana Rudkovskaya called the report “shameful”, adding “it’s awful that these sorts of journalists still walk the earth,” in comments on Twitter.

She posted two photographs of Plushenko in a hospital and one of an X-ray apparently showing four metal objects had been inserted into the skater’s spine.

“Zhenya [Plushenko] is still wearing a catheter. But’s he’s already walking,” Rudkovskaya said.

This is the reason why she published.. They are too big stars, the yellow press often publish such a stupid things.

The russian TV news http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXGH7bl3Hzo&feature=youtu.be Plush's interview from the hospital

The hospital:
    The Ramat Aviv Medical Center
    http://www.mcra.co.il/?CategoryID=461

Specialized Clinics - Orthopedics:
    http://www.mcra.co.il/?CategoryID=477&A ... AuthToken=

Operating Theatres:
    http://www.mcra.co.il/?CategoryID=480
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  33. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

It does give me a feeling of going-to-Grandma's nostalgia, I must admit. :slinkaway

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery to Plushenko.
  34. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

second that.
    i thought he was out of his mind - crazy in a brave sort of way - to attempt this comeback with the focus on quads and 3 axels.

i suffered a back/neck injury in a car accident last summer and i'm still doing rehab/PT and i'm nowhere near where i was at before.
    i am in awe of Plushenko for skating and competing at such a high level, despite his injuries. i hope he makes a sensible and strong comeback.
  35. Anita18

They are definitely more complicated than I expected! :lol:

Hah, maybe because I'm not Caucasian, I don't have the same reaction? My grandma's place was decidedly different from that. :p
  36. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Actually the "heavy curtain" makes my skin crawl. There's a reason we don't use a lot of fabris in hospital decor. Too hard to keep clean!
  37. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

38. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

:lol: They have the exact same patient gowns as we do! Get well Plushenko.
  39. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah...

When you're injured, depending on the severity of injury, you'd need something like let's say a year or two years of no strenuous exercise to let your body heal. Obviously, competitive athletes can never afford that. So they do the bare minimum of rest and then return to practice. So the injuries keep piling up and piling up and they're pretty much in constant pain.

Yeah sport is healthy but not at this level.

I think Plushenko has now got to a point where the combination of multiple serious injuries and his age mean he'd be doing very serious damage to his body if he continued.

He's already the most accomplished skater in history (yeah Dick Button had more medals but that was back when figure skating wasn't a "serious sport" and anyone right in their mind recognises Plushenko as number 1 in that regard). He should bow out now instead of entering a few more events only to withdraw after the SP again.
  40. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Israel gets a fair amount of medical tourism, and I suspect that the decor is the sort of thing many of the patients (customers) would like.