Plushenko: Chan Does Not Deserve World Title

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/20130320/652250547.html
    Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko said Wednesday that Canada’s Patrick Chan does not deserve the world title he won last week.

Chan relied on his world-record short program score to defend his world title as he fell twice in the free skate and was nearly caught by Kazakhstan’s Denis Ten, who lost out by just 1.3 points.

“Denis Ten won that world championship,” Plushenko said on Twitter and accused Chan of having undue help from Skate Canada, which hosted the championships in London, Ontario.

“Patrick Chan didn’t win, his figure skating federation did! That’s my opinion as a person who knows figure skating.”

2. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

People are forgetting that Chan DIDN'T win the free skate! Sigh.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  3. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Maybe we should go back to the days when the SP was only worth 20-30% of the total score.

4. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Those who can skate, those who can't should shut up LOL

Plushy is getting tiresome. The only "worthy" person is him. His ego appears to be functioning even as his body gives out.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

6. lala

lala Well-Known Member

hm... I wonder why only Plushy's opinion received a thread... It is his opinion and many others have same opinion. Todd Eldrige, Johnny Weir, Christina Gao have big ego too???
    Sonja Bianchetti is nothing? http://fskating.com/2013/03/a-wonderful-world-championships.html

"No doubt his skating is very good and he glides and moves well on the ice. Still, his placement and the marks he was awarded in the PCS, in my opinion, are definitely not acceptable. How could he be placed ahead of Javier Fernandez and Yuzuru Hanyu, who executed flawless programs of a very high technical and artistic standard? And this is not the first time that this has happened. It has become “normal”. I am speechless. Surely it is not Patrick’s fault if the judges continue to overmark him. He is the lucky and happy victim of a judging system that, thanks to secret judging, allows the judges to carry on unpunished."

7. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Because he said the same basic thing after every event he does not win?

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Because someone started one? There isn't a vote that determined only Plushenko could get a thread. You can start a thread on anything you want. Though maybe the better thing would be to ask a mod to rename this thread "Former skater's thoughts on Chan's title" just to keep the board from cluttering.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Not exactly news. Pretty much everyone feels that way, and most people have said it too, including fellow skaters past and present. Along with Chan's 2012 World title the biggest scandals to hit skating in decade, and the heavy politiking the CSA must be involved in far tops anything the so called big bad Russians did at the height of their political powers. Only Austria and Norway in the old days come close to the level of political involvement the CSA currently has.

10. lala

lala Well-Known Member

This isn't good argument, sorry..

11. judgejudy27

No, he only scored about 15 points higher than he deserved in the free skate, when he won by only 2 points. No big deal, since he didnt win the free skate, LOL!

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

No. Who opened it, wanted a bit of animosity against Plushy...

13. VanillaIce

VanillaIce New Member

If my memory serves me correctly, and I was there, neither Javier nor Hanyu were flawless in the long. Good Yes, but not flawless. This Chan inflation business really is getting out of hand. There has been many a World Champion who has won despite falling, despite under-rotating jumps, despite the lack of transitions etc. etc. It will be ever thus. Of course, it would be great if the winner could complete their programme without falling, but then ice is slippery.

14. judgejudy27

Chan's winning performance was the poorest one in the event the last 35 years without a doubt. If he wins with such awful skates it can only mean two things: 1. the judging is scandously bad or 2. the field is absolutely terrible right now and the worst in history.

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Didn't Plushy have a nasty fall at Dortmund in 04 and he still won the title?

16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

For saying the same thing 90% of skating fans are saying? Seems like something else would have been better if they wanted animosity.

17. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3a61BJQp7o with Button commentary) But Joubert wasn't flawless and wasn't better. This is the big difference.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  18. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Read the comments......the haters always find a reason, why hate him more...

19. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He joins a group of very elite skaters and is a little behind others as others have twitter and made their voices heard almost immediately.

20. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

It was more of a silly fall, and not on an element, I think he was setting up for a jump at the time. That's not comparable to the multiple errors that Chan made this year - more like Trankov splatting after the throw in the LP, and nobody is complaining about that result.

FWIW, back then I thought Joubert should have won, but it's been ages since I watched either skate so I can't say how I'd feel about it now.

Plushenko is not the first skater to suggest that Ten should have won, though I do believe he's the first to attribute the result to Canadian politikking - and that, coming from a Russian skater, is rather a pot calling the kettle black situation.

22. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

I think Plushenko knows a lot what is going on behind the curtains in this sport.

23. GoGreen

GoGreen New Member

So he just voiced the same opinion as Todd Eldridge. I missed all the old timers.

24. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Speaking of old timer, I wonder what would Dick Button have to say about this!

25. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

:lol: You are playing one key on the piano my dear. It is time to move on.

26. judgejudy27

and you seem to have nothing better to do except follow me around every thread on this forum and try to change my mind about Chan. It is time for YOU to move on (and I am not your dear troll).

27. apatinar

apatinar New Member

Plushy is exactly right... Chan's win is a total joke!

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Eyre

Eyre New Member

You could open one for every person you've mentioned in your previous post if you want to make it even.:rolleyes: I can't believe that you're Plushy uber but you don't even know that that was Plushy's intention to be noticed and to be at the center of something!

29. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Not that it matters, but that was the first time that I have ever responded to one of your posts.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Tell me about that!:rofl:

I'm beginning to think that you might have some personal issues against Chan. So you find every possible opportunity to attack him.:shuffle: