Plushenko back in training: landing quad toes & triple Axels again

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

delete duplicate

2. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

There is something rather sad about his statement imo: My life is the ice; I cannot live without fs; love me, love me and love me more.

3. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

U think THAT'S sad ?

I wish i could get just ONE thing in this life i want half as bad ;)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Eeeeew.

5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Sad? You are weird. Have you find wrong thing in that sentence? This quote isn't new, do you think he wanted to bemore popular? Sometimes the popularity bothers him. but yes, his fans love him more and more. He was incredible popular, and he is very popular even today.
    If anybody follows him, knows it is true: " Without figure skating I'm nothing". His whole life is a big proof. He already has everything, every titles, unique carreer, nice family, a lot of money, fame, he is a real celebrity in Russia, the most known and recognized male skater in Europe and Asia, and I think in the whole world,he has own show, ha was not once TV presenter, if he wants can work on the Russian show-business. What more? And what he is doing? He is preparing for the final contest, he constantly has to keep diet, etc. If it fails, the enemies will say, now he is too old .. it would have been better if he finish on the top.
    He is originally interesting and highly intelligent man, who always sincere. ALWAYS! He inspires his fans continously.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  6. lala

lala Well-Known Member

and they said this program has another version, the 70% of the jumps will be on the second half of the program, Plush wanted to skate that version on Euros.
    His enemies love to say he hasn't SS and he won, because of TES points, and his consistency. But it isn't true. When the new system was introduced, he got higher PCS points than Lambiel or Buttle.

for example,SPs
    1.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlGVCUwzb7I Plushy PCS: 39,85 + TECH 44,50
    2.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ--iQuOBlM Stef PCS 36,3 + TECH 44,30
    3.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi2m5hfzY2A Jeffry PCS 36,98

7. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Oh, absolutely he will wind up on the podium unless he has to disqualify himself for some reason. I admire him greatly and wish him well, but I believe the Russian Fed is already polishing his medals-they just can't definitely manipulate which color medal to give him. Sounds cynical, but not farfetched. I actually do hope he wins a medal at Sochi, and I truly hope that if it isn't gold, he will show himself to be the champion we all want him to be by not b******* about it.

Edited to say that I also would love for him to unveil a grown-up haircut for the Olympics. :D

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  8. lala

lala Well-Known Member

wrote a Yagudin fan..:D
    hmmm. Maybe you don't know, in Russia doesn't everybody want to his come back. Do you remember Tarasova and her pupil Kovtun? Tarasova is very influental in Rus. skating world. Some people says, Plushy was attacked by Zhurankov after Euros 2013, but that wasn't random, in the background worked the politics..so I'm sure, Plushy has to win clearly in the COR ,Russian Nat Champ, and Euros.
    And I'm sure some people will wrote bad things about him here, whatever he is doing..

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I agree . . . I really quite enjoyed that program; there's no doubt in my mind that if he had skated this program cleanly in Vancouver, he would easily have been a double Olympic gold medalist. He completes the jumps like they are so easy back to back to back; it really is an incredible sight. He does interpret the music in this program far better than the programs he displayed in Vancouver. Evgeni, IMO, has grown more youthful and handsome looking with age. I may have a little crush developing on him. :)

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Exactly, he has so much to lose by coming back, but he does it because he really loves skating and competing. I totally disagree with the people that imply that his coming back means he's a loser who can't find success and accolades anywhere else. He has a lot of opportunities in the Russian entertainment world (in which his wife is well connected and he met her during the Eurovision project). I see him being quite humble in his Sochi endeavor actually. He isn't losing sight of where his success came from. Life is comfortable for the popular pro skaters in Russia, and that's a life he entered 7 years ago, only to come back when he could've just left his gold medal legacy intact. I can think of several US skaters who have talked about training and coming back, but don't actually do it, just seem to use it to keep their name out there. I believe at 2012 Euros Plushy talked about his choice not to do the quad in the SP and figured he would not even make the final group with all the talent out there.. but what do you know, they all fell and he finished second and went on to win gold. I also appreciate that he constantly talks about his rivals, by name (not just country), both the ones from the 90s and the ones from today. There was some video floating on youtube where he was listing them all from Stojko and Kulik to Chan... really amazing and I think he respects all of them.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

What is sad about it? He has a passion, goals. He puts his heart & soul (and body) into it. His life has a purpose, a direction. How many people can confidently say that?

12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Even though Plushy had great potential at that point, I think Urmanov would have made the team, because he was the defending Oly champ and he was skating really great at that time (his SP was wonderful). It would have come down to two spots out of three skaters- Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko. Since the first two had already won world medals at that point, and they did not know (yet) how great Plushenko was going to be, I think Kulik and Yagudin would have gotten the two spots.

13. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

New interview with Evgeni Plushenko here: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/11164.html
    Keypoints:
    - FS is "Best of Plushenko", a selection of music he has used in former programs. He names "Godfather", "Adagio", "Tosca", "Tango Amore". When I was at the training camp in Italy I also heard "Sheherazade" and "Tango de Roxanne", but I don't know if that was the final version of the music. I thought that this idea is actually cool, although I usually don't like if too many music pieces are mixed together
    - he is in Sotchi at the training camp but not sure if he will take part in the test skate due to a minor foot problem and also because he needs to be careful with his back
    - he hopes to compete at Cup of Russia (Grand Prix in Moscow), Russian Nationals, European Championships and Olympic Games
    - he knows that he will have to skate the team event as well and is ready for it. But he said if he is not healthy enough to compete four programs in Sotchi he will not go to the Olympic Games as he doesn't want to let down his team. Then a younger skater should go and compete.

14. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Thanks Eislauffan. I wish him well and hope he is able to compete. I admire his determination and would love to see him meet this last milestone in a long career. It would be a remarkable story of a remarkable athlete.

15. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Actually, just thinking of those four pieces of music especially, if Edvin rearranges them (which I have no doubt he will), it may actually work very well. All but Adagio is Edvin's work so surely they will be able to put them together nicely...Edvin may even make an arrangement to play straight through so there won't be any choppy edits.

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Aww, that's nice.

I wish he would just keep the Saint-Saens LP. It was only competed at Nationals and the Japan Open. It was a beautiful program and the music was cohesive. The greatest hits idea sounds fun and I think I'd enjoy it, but I'm a fan, and think it might turn off non-fans.

17. lala

lala Well-Known Member

You are right. :D They will attack him..no doubt.:lol:

18. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

They would attack Plushenko no matter what he skates to or what he does. ;-) All skaters have fans and haters, and the haters always will find something to criticise.

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  19. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

I would be literally flabbergasted if Plushenko were to cold bloodedly decide he wasn't capable of 4 performances and hand his Olympic spot over to someone else without a try. It's totally out of character. Let's hope such a scenario never comes to be!

PS I read Chan is also doing a greatest hits FP!

20. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Chan is skating to Vivaldi's Four Seasons

21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Even if he couldn't complete a competition as late as Euros I don't think he would drop out unless it was totally impossible for him to recover by the Olympics. It would have be something really unfortunately catastrophic! But I also think if that bad thing happened he'd try to bargain for his favorite skater to replace him whoever that would be!

22. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

The sad thing is that he doesn't seem to be able to find any other pleasures in life. There is nothing wrong with having the passion he has, certainly not. So many athletes are lacking that kind of passion. However, he's not doing his body a favor, whether or not he takes the training easy. He's had multiple surgery, he's putting the strain of quads once again on his body... He might be okay with it now but in ten years it might be a whole different picture. There simply comes a time when you need to stop and move on, you need to know when it's time to let go, and he doesn't seem to be able to do that because he doesn't seem to know what else to do in life. That is the impression that statement gives.

23. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He says he gets joys from many things but why let the main joy wither away and abandon it while it's still possible! Even if it's only possible through major surgery. He's already had major surgery in 2005 pre Turin.

24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IIRC Liz Manley skated a 'greatest hits' type LP in the 1988 Olys. Those were her favorite pieces of music, not necessarily the ones she had skated to. It worked out fine. However, for Plushenko I would have liked something like his Nijinski program. I will be happy with whatever music he skates to, as long as he is able to skate 4 programs (and skate well) during the Olympics.

25. lala

lala Well-Known Member

:rofl: I bet you don't know too much about him. He enjoys his life. He has four sons, two own boys, and his wife also has two boys. http://instagram.com/p/daCGqPFSB-/# http://instagram.com/p/dbm8iHFSOl/# I said, he is -not only the one of the most recognizable, beloved athletes in Russia- celebrity. ( he won the "Google Trendy Award 2010" for "Athlete of the Year search with Google", he won the "Russian elite sportman" , he beat soccer players, Sharapova,Klichko, Isinbaeva etc. in 2010, Top 20 Russian elite people 2010 : he was 14th, the only one athlete on the list, and Athlete of the year 2012, ) His beautiful wife is also very famous. They are part of the Russian show business, Plushy could work in it, if he wants. http://www.eg.ru/daily/gallery/11238/41963/ http://instagram.com/p/dcSBmjj9yi/# He has enough money he can do whatever he wants. Plushy adores the other sports, his life is about sports. When he doesn't skate he is playing soccer, tennis, his new love is the golf. He competed in some unprofessional races. He said an interview in last year, he would like to compete in Rio like the Russian golf player. But probably he won't, because after Sochi he wants to be coach. He is a graduate coach.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  26. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

How do you know he doesn't derive pleasure from his family- his wife, his son(s)? How do you know he doesn't enjoy certain foods? You are drawing conclusions based on one statement, and that's not right.

About his body- it's HIS body and he is the only one (besides his doctors) that can make decisions about it. How do YOU know that it's time for him to let go? It's his life, not yours.

27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I have aways been a Plushy fan and I wish him all the best in Sochi although it makes me cringe when I think of the effect competitive skating is going to have on his back and knees.

28. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

Sad maybe for people who do not have a real goal in their life. Even if he will retire from the competitive world soon, he can still perform in shows and he said he will start coaching after his retirement. He has great passion for figure skating and for sports in general. He has his ideas and vision for the future of Sports in Russia. He dreams opening his own figure skating school. Can you say these are all because he can not move on? This is devotion which many people are lacking of.

As for his body, I would just say, only Plushenko himself can justify whether it is worth it going through all these surgeries and potential risks in the future. Great achievement demands greater sacrifices. He would not achieve so much if he was afraid of risk things.

29. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

There're simply no words to describe Plushy.

30. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

misunderstood a quote from twitter in the patrick uber thread....re tribute to former coach colson and how it would be his "greatest hits"