Plushenko back in training: landing quad toes & triple Axels again

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Originally posted on August 17 by lala in the fan thread in the Trash Can via Plushenko News_Eng ‏@PlushenkoNews on Twitter:

Original Russian news video that was posted in the "From Russia with love - Summer through Autumn 2013" thread (from which the YT video was made):

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Good for him! Let's see where it goes from here!

3. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Gotta admire what this guy is doing :)

Beautiful triple axels in there! Hope to see them like that in Sochi

4. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia! Plushy looks to be in great shape at the moment :)

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

He is simply amazing.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't overdo it and hurt his chances of competing in Sochi. It's a long season. I hope he can pace himself.

6. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Ah-may-zing !

O-

7. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

He did say in his interview that he is not "rushing anything": http://www.goldenskate.com/2013/07/plushenko-reveals-new-short-program-at-training-camp/
    He has been through injuries and recovery from injury many times and hopefully he has learned his lessons from that when he came back too early. He certainly sounded like he is taking it step by step and also is well aware of the severness of his back surgery.
    You'll find more comments from Plushenko about his recovery and comeback in the story in IFS magazine's new issue: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/issues/201310

8. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Incredible! He really is an amazing athlete . . . a machine, really. I hope his health sees him securely through the Sochi Games, his 4th Olympics.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I feel bad for his knees, especially the landing one.

10. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Does he have to do some type of qualifying event for Sochi or is he on some "grandfathered" clause.....

11. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I've been following his progress off & on via lala's posts in the Trash Can, and am grateful (& hopeful) to see his team are taking it very very carefully, as it should be, *not* overdoing it. And of course Zhenya knows his body better than anyone else, period.

My only wish is that He can go out on a high note, which would be competing in the Olympics in his home country, a fitting ending to one of the most phenomenal careers in skating history. He deserves it. Honor him.

Jmho, as always. :)

12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

He isn't a machine. :(

Plush:
    I’m not a machine, I have a heart beating in my chest - not an engine
    there is a blood in my veins - not an oil.

I knows pain and fatigue,
    I am a normal person.

I cannot live
    without figure skating.
    Because my life is
    the ice.

I have never tried
    to stop my improvement.
    The duty of a top athlete is
    to improve the sport.

I feel that God destined
    my choice of paths in crossroads in my life.

My dear fans,
    I thank you for loving me.
    I’ll keep training hard
    so that I can skate better and better,
    and that
    you could love me more.

I don’t want to talk about the future
    or try to predict it,
    I just
    want people to
    remember me."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGRZLmIEIw

13. misskarne

misskarne #408

His score at 2012 Euros is still valid I think. Plus he's up for CoR this season.

14. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Thanks... I was just wondering if he could go to Sochi without any other "event" prior and it sounds like he might be able to do that.

15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

There's no way an athlete like Plushenko won't be remembered for his technical feats, his intensity, and his passion for the sport. His technical prowess transcended the sport to new heights, as he was the first man to attempt and achieve a 4+3+3 combination jump pass, all of the unbelievably difficult jump passes that are not seen from other skaters like 3Axel-step-3flip, and for him to be a 3-time Olympic medalist (1 gold, 2 silvers) in skating's modern era is the stuff of phenomenal legend. No other singles skater's resume in modern skating can compare really. He's the closest singles skater this sport has to a machine; I mean that as a compliment to his consistency and mental fortitude. He's the best competitor in modern singles figure skating in the world. Plushenko is to men's skating what Midori Ito is to ladies' skating. There's no doubt he loves this sport with every fiber of his being and the sport clearly loves him right back. I really admire him! Hopefully, he presents in Sochi a program the same caliber or better as his Tribute to Vaslav Nijinsky program from 2004, my favorite from him. I really wish him lots of luck! :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I don't believe his score from 2012 Euros would be valid.

ISU Communication No. 1797 states (June 2013):
    "The Minimum Total Technical Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 38, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 9 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season in both segments"

17. Vash01

Beautiful.:respec:

18. Vash01

Beautiful.:respec:

He will be remembered as one of the greatest skaters and competitors, regardless of where he places in Sochi.

19. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Whether you like his style or not (I don't), you can only be impressed by Plushenko's technical abilities.

He already has 3 olympic medals, and he might go to Sochi? 4th Olympics. He's amazing.

20. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Amazing. Plushenko is truly bionic.

21. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Just think that the year Ilia Kulik won, Plushenko was right there as the no.3 russian, winning silver at europeans with a quad triple, and a Bronze at world's,
    Had Urmanov competed in the FS at the worlds the year before this could have been Plushenko's 5th ;)

Come to think of it, Yagudin was 3rd at that worlds and Kulik wasn't too far behind, Why didn't they get 3 spots ?

22. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

It was a different system then-- Russia had three entries, and all three counted towards the total points. Urmanov withdrew after winning the QR and SP, and it made Russia lose a spot. It was then that everyone realized that the slots earning system was flawed.

23. Vash01

Jayar is correct. Urmanov's injury in the SP at the 97 worlds cost Russia the third spot in the 98 Olympics. The system was then improved with rule changes.

This brings up an interesting point though. Had Urmanov not been injured in 97, Russia would have had 3 spots and 4 very good skaters- Urmanov, Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko- all podium contenders (although Yags & Plush were young then). Who would have been left behind? What an awesome talent Russia had at that time!

24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It's interesting because Urmanov was Olympic champion but couldn't medal at a worlds after though might have been on his way in 1997. But maybe him being Olympic champion and euros wins made him safe. Then Kulik had a great 96 but slumped in 97. Yagudin and plushenko were extremely talented newcomers but plushenko was jr champion most recently. Tough to decide! Maybe plushenko because of really seeming the youngest? Just reminds me of the Christine Brennan theory that one of them would become azerbajani or Armenian or something but that's flawed because if they medaled it wouldn't counT for Russia!

25. gofigure

gofigure Active Member

You'll find more comments from Plushenko about his recovery and comeback in the story in IFS magazine's new issue: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/issues/201310[/QUOTE]W

Eislauffan's interview with Plushenko in the upcoming issue of IFS is pretty amazing. He was so honest about the journey to get where he is now.

26. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

When Plushy says he not just interested in showing up for his 4th Olympics and "checking the box" but wants to stand on a pedestal,
    I believe him. and I also believe that it is actually possible, maybe not no. 1 but his biggest opponents have a reputation for inconsistency under pressure and where is the pressure greatest if not at the Olympics?? Plush has the killer instinct in competition and if his physique holds up it's anybody's game!

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

If he can perform as he hopes, more power to him.

28. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

He needs to take a seat. Stick a fork in it. Put himself out to stud.

29. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fydd6Pjjho0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I really like the "program" from last season (ie skating to the music, steps, element layout). It was so much better than 2010. If he skates like that in Sochi, then only a truly clean Chan and Fernandez could beat him. The top Japanese skater of the season and D10 would be in it for silver or bronze. I still contend a clean D10 could politikally benefit from the games being in Sochi.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  30. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Plushenko's score at the 2012 Europeans would have had him easily winning the bronze at last years Worlds

Not to mention stealing the small Gold medal from Ten for the free skate

And he didn't even attempt a Quad in the Short there

He is a fierce competitor

Olympics are in Russia

So yes, The possibilty for a Pedestal is defenitely there.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.