please help my upright spin!

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by icenut84, Sep 1, 2013.

1. icenut84

icenut84 New Member

I've been skating for quite a long time but I've always struggled with my upright spin more than anything else. On occasion I've done good ones (so i know its possible!) but the majority of the time i'm unbalanced, travel a great deal and not really in control. I've recently watched myself on video doing them and my technique is pretty terrible - my knee isn't bent far enough on the way in, i start the spin way too soon so my entry edge is too short and shallow, and i can't seem to stand up straight to save my life! (I break at the waist and my shoulders are all hunched).

I know what i'm doing wrong but i can't seem to fix it. Do any of you know of some good exercises that could help force my body to do it properly? Any help would be appreciated!!

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Do you have a coach? Because having someone else watch you can often identify problems that you can't feel or see yourself.

A couple of possibilities from what you've said. I'm not sure that starting the spin way too soon is a problem - you can do a spin from a standing start, without any entry edge at all. Your problem may be more in where and how you are stepping into the spin. If you think of the arc of your crossovers going into the spin as a circle, you should be stepping back into that circle - you will probably end up just to the right (going CCW) of the line of the circle. Also, when you step, you are transferring the energy and momentum from the crossovers into your spin, so you shouldn't just step and spin on that same spot - you should travel on the outside edge to the left before you stop spinning. When the spin starts, it may help you to consciously think about holding your free leg and arms out for a turn or two before you start pulling in. That lets the spin get centred and helps you build up a more controlled entry edge.

WRT standing up while you spin, I find it really helps to pretend that you are standing right in front of a tree trunk or a telephone pole - face to face, with your body right against it - and that you hug the tree or the pole as you pull in your arms and legs during the spin.

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Did you try doing your spin from a fwd T-position, standing on one of the rink lines (hockey ends work well for that)? In my experience, this helps you not rush the entry timing since you end up trying to wait to get back to the line before you do your 3turn. Also, maybe if you think of the entry as more of a LFO edge into a 3turn that eventually turns into a spin, that might help? I end up breaking at the waist, and sticking my butt out (my "fetal" position on ice!) whenever I'm scared of a skill. Breaking them down sometimes helps. Good luck!

4. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

You have to start the spin by going at least one full rev on the bent knee before you stand up. This is how you "hook the center." Then when you hook it and straighten the knee, keep your body completely rigid (don't overcompensate for balance by wobbling.) Then you can slowly bring in the arms and leg.