Planned Attack at Twilight Showing Stopped Thanks to Tip by Alleged Attacker's Mom

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Nov 17, 2012.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

CBC News ~ U.S. man planning Twilight theatre attack arrested

This was to be a copy cat of the tragic events in Colorado this summer. Thank God his Mom realized what her son intended on doing, called the police and, instead of talking about another massacre happening due to another mentally ill person slipping through the cracks, we're talking about thankfully his Mom contacting the Police and stopping it from happening again.

I can't even imagine how hard that call had to be for her. Yes, she knew what he intended to do, but it's *still* her son too, so... It had to be one awfully gut wrenching call for her to make regardless.

I did a double take when I saw this listed on the CBC earlier tonight. Thank God he was stopped.

aliceanne and (deleted member) like this.
  2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Thank goodness it was averted.

3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

She did the right thing, even though it was her son.

4. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

ITA- I feel for her pain...but she totally did the right thing for her son and the people she saved

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

WOW. Good on her. I hope her gets the help he needs.

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Thank God she was able and willing to do that. God bless her.

7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

delete

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It sounds as though she saved many lives by having the courage to report her son to the police.
    It must have been very difficult.
    I also hope he gets the help he needs

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I'm glad she did something and didn't bury her head in the sand but I also think it's very sad because from what is reported it sounds like she didn't have the kind of relationship with her son where she could have talked to him about it and talked him out of it herself.

I've got mentally ill people in my family and it can really suck because sometimes you have to withdraw from them for your own self-preservation yet that can just make the problem worse.

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

far better than seeing his picture all over the media after the fact and reading about what a monster he is and how could his family not have known.

truly chilling

11. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Even if she did have a good relationship with her son, it doesn't mean she could have talked him out of it if he was in a 'state'... My heart goes out to her -- it's so hard to watch your children be self-destructive.

12. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

That's true, Really, but the article made it sound like she was barely on speaking terms with him. I've been through that and it's hard too.