Plane crash at San Francisco Airport

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by dardar1126, Jul 6, 2013.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, rosewood. Interesting. I wonder if we have Korean-speaking posters who could comment.

2. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

There I found three important news on the Naver site. (I posted the link of the site above.) It seems Asiana/83-passengers are thinking the crash might be caused by the mechanical malfunction of Boeing 777. A flight was delayed 17 hours, and another suit is planed by 83 passengers on the flight that crash-landed. The English articles are as follows:

Asiana flight from LA delayed 17 hours by oil leak
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.5876ac62b8f6117004bacff2075d3bb3.211

Lawsuit Targets Boeing Following Asiana Crash
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Lawsuit-Targets-Boeing-For-Asiana-Crash-215739411.html

And the latest news says Asiana decided not to sue KTVU. I wonder if there isn't any English article yet. This is the article written in Korean, which I read with Google translater.
    http://www.tbs.seoul.kr/news/bunya.do?method=daum_html2&typ_800=3&seq_800=530817

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  3. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

So, they're going to hold Boeing responsible that four pilots weren't capable of making sure that the height a freaking computer - and yes, computers do fail - showed them was correct? Aside from the point that it's not Boeings responsibility to maintain the plane after it's sold to an airline. I have to assume it wasn't the first flight of the plane, so how can Boeing be responsible for the malfaunctioning of a computer years after the plane was sold? Seriously? I find that ridiculous. Especially since there are no other accidents reported in connection to that auto-throttle malfunction and the 777 has not had a fatal accident until then. If humans "take the word" of computers instead of double and triple checking manually then it's not the manufacturer's fault! Then it's the problem of the pilot's mindset, in my opinion.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162...n-plans-to-sue-san-francisco-tv-station-ktvu/ (includes CBS News video)

CBS/AP/ July 17, 2013, 9:47 AM

Asiana Airlines pulls back on plans to sue San Francisco TV station KTVU

Excerpt:

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

They just don't know whom to sue. There was no indication of a malfunction of the computer or the engine, was there? So what's the grievance towards Boeing?

7. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I think the bottom line, at this point anyway, is that the investigation is still continuing and there is no final word on what the cause was or causes were. As usual, the lawyers and interested parties are jumping quickly on the litigation bandwagon without knowing the facts.

O-

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Perhaps the management should muzzle lawyers for the time being as they are not doing their image any favors.

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

They just keep getting more desperate, don't they? I think they know that any investigation results are NOT going to look good for them so they need to do as much damage control now while they can. If that includes lots of finger pointing then so be it.

10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

They should be thanking Boeing for building such a strong plane that the fuselage stayed intact after all THAT.

11. dardar1126

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/coroner-reveal-cause-asiana-passenger-death

CORONER: TEEN IN ASIANA CRASH KILLED BY VEHICLE
    By TERRY COLLINS
    — Jul. 19 2:00 PM EDT

Excerpt:

12. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

That is about the worst luck imaginable. Can you imagine being in a plane crash and ejected from the plane (although it is not clear how she got out of the plane). You somehow survive only to see a truck coming at you and killing you. I just hope she was unconscious and maybe had no idea any of this was happening.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

ITA. :fragile:

15. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

How can you blame the firefighters, though? They had no reason to believe anyone might have been on the ground...they were just trying to get to the plane and couldn't have been paying much attention to debris that was all around. Although, how they would have still run over any piece of debris the size of a human and not at least try and swerve...the driver must have had his eyes on the plane, and not on the tarmac. :(

So, so, so very sad.

16. dardar1126

She was covered in fire-suppression foam, laying on the ground...that foam is thick and puffy...in the chaos, and with all that debris on the ground, one can see how this tragic accident could happen. :(

17. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

This is what I understood as well. They were damned either way. They were rushing to major, catostrophic accident. Time was of the essence. If they had slowed down, I doubt they would have been able to see the person under the foam, but then there would have been those folks complaining that they weren't moving fast enough toward the crash site to rescue the victims.

O-

18. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I don't think that the family would have standing for a lawsuit.

19. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

One hopes so, especially if she was being covered in firefighting foam and wasn't able to respond. :(

20. dardar1126

Twitter: