Plane crash at San Francisco Airport

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by dardar1126, Jul 6, 2013.

1. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

From the Wall Street Journal:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324694904578598041567963334.html

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

EDIT:

Photo by @NTSB of @AsianaAirlines Flight 214 debris field at SFO

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BO7MmDuCQAAlXr8.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Really?

4. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Adults are cushioned, children are not. Granted, it was in 1990 but the pilot had to slam on the breaks as we were taxing, causing everyone on the plane to be thrust forward and I hit my head so hard on the tray table that I had a concusion. (and my mom did make sure that I was strapped in tightly! I remember, I always had to pull the belt as tight as possible for take-off and landing)
    Tables are folded now but they're still hard plastic and smaller children can still slam against them especially since seats are now closer together.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

6. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

That's ^^^ really interesting. Looks like the pilot tried to manually pull-up as it approached the landing strip, but pulled up too late.

O-

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Yes, they were trying to abort the landing within seconds of the tail striking the barrier.

8. dardar1126

Twitter:

:(

EDIT:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  9. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Oh no they didn't.

11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I can't believe they fell for that. I feel sorry for the anchor, she must have been so embarrassed when she realized what she'd done.

Reminds me of the time a news anchor was updating about a murder investigation and the mug shot of the suspect came up, only it was a picture of a hamster. But at least in that case she immediately realized there was a problem and corrected accordingly.

13. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I don't know whether to :rofl: or :lynch: them for such a mistake.

Especially considering the Bay Area is full of Asians. They really should have known better. And yes, I thought I remember reading the pilots' names days ago.

14. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Oh my...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

15. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has posted it yet (or I missed it in which case I apologize) but written news are reporting that it's been confirmed that one of the fatalities was run over by an ambulance :(

16. Choupette

Choupette Well-Known Member

Regarding seatbelts, I've been upgraded myself recenly and they were the same as in the economy class.

17. milanessa

Yes, but they haven't determined yet if she was already dead or the emergency vehicle killed her. Very sad either way. :(

18. dardar1126

Twitter:

19. mkats

mkats New Member

I'm glad the parents have made it safely - I can't imagine how difficult and scary that flight must have been for them. :(

20. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Regarding the KTVU news debacle, I hope that whoever was responsible for this juvenile racist callous prank is fired, fined, and spends quality community-service time in hospital wards for burn victims and spinal cord injury victims. That poor news anchor.

21. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The NTSB confirmed that one of their interns confirmed the names as the pilots
    . I don't understand how that could have happened - someone called in a prank, nobody at the news station recognizes it's offensive, and the NTSB confirms the offensive names.?

22. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Re: Seatbelts, here in the east coast of the US, I believe that school buses still do not use any seatbelts, not lap belts, much less shoulder. Our children ride unprotected.

I definitely think airplane seatbelts should be upgraded, cost be damned.

23. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for the 3rd girl that died. They all must have sat together. Unfortunately I am not seeing a lot of coverage about her. May be because the parents have not arrived here yet?

24. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly, they are not going to release her name, perhaps the parents don't want publicity? So sad, I am afraid she must have suffered.

25. milanessa

26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Did the person responsible for this prank, offensive as it was, commit a crime? And even if they did, I should think working with organizations that combat racism would be more appropriate in this case.

The station said they never sounded out the names, which is :confused: and I suppose makes it possible that whoever confirmed it just told them something like "yeah, we released the pilots' names" without actually confirming these specific names.

27. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Zemgirl, you raise a good question. I would think that intentionally and maliciously giving false information would be a misdemeanor of some sort, but I really don't know. The perpetrator tried to trivialize the pain and tragedy of the crash victims by turning it into a joke. I think this idiot needs to work on ordinary human empathy for suffering in addition to learning respect for all races.

28. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's a crime, but it is certainly grounds for getting fired.

29. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

It was an incredibly insensitive thing to do, but I doubt that it was a crime. I am no legal expert, of course.

30. dardar1126

The question is did this person do it deliberately or accidentally. You might wonder HOW in HECK could someone do this accidentally?

Sometimes people who type out a draft use filler words or symbols as placeholders until the verified information can to inserted. Now, admittedly, if they used something as asinine as this it's extremely insensitive and downright stupid. But there have been other cases of a draft getting accidentally released.

Whether this would be a crime I do not know. Slander and libel laws are hard to prove in the US; this is why you will often see celebrities sue in UK courts rather than US...my understanding is that the burden of proof is easier to reach in the British judicial system.

Any lawyers or law students want to weigh in?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013