Pj's all-time top 10: Ladies

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by clara00, Nov 4, 2011.

1. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He may be setting the pace for Sochi and be really talented in all levels but Chan is just premature!

2. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Premature? HUH??? I pretty sure he's fully formed and has probably reached his max on height. :D
    Maybe you meant immature? as in still a young man?

3. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Perhaps what caseyedwards meant was that it was premature to put Patrick on the list of "greats" as he has a way to go in his career.

4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Ok, using premature in that context would make sense. Thanks

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Rochette does not deserve to be on the list at all. Certainly not more than Manley or Magnussen (and I wouldnt have either of those on the top 10 list either btw). Magnussen and Manley were greater forces in their time than Rochette was in hers. Rochette had one Worlds and one Olympics she could have medaled in only, and she was never a gold threat at either. She did not have the skills to match the best of her era- Kim or Asada, while Magnussen and Manley did have the skills on their best day in certain ways to match or exceed the best of their time. Manley was close to winning both the 88 Olympics and 88 Worlds, and won the LP at both, and was a threat to win the 87 Worlds had she skated her best LP. Magnussen did win Worlds, an Olympic silver, and 4 straight World or Olympic medals. Not to mention some people dont even agree with Rochette's World silver and Olympic bronze (I do but some have argued them).

Hughes in the top 10 is the biggest joke ever though. Hughes wouldnt make my top 50, maybe not even my top 100 if I went through all the top skaters in history. Hughes above Kwan and even Slutskaya, hahaha. SLC was just one event, and she had to skate out of her skin to beat those two skating their worst. Slutskaya would have even easily won with her 2000 and 2001 Worlds performances, which werent even her best and where she lost to Kwan, but still would have been enough to have beaten Hughes "performance of a lifetime". Kwan owned Hughes like her pet mule on the whole, 9 U.S titles to 0, 9 World medals to 1 World bronze.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  6. t.mann

t.mann New Member

7. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Chan???? Already????

8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

kwanette is correct.

9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether Orser, Boitano, or Stojko would make my top ten.

And Chan needs a few more seasons to qualify for greatness IMO - though he is heading in that direction.

10. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

But she said the event would include the 10 best of all time, so she is effectively picking her top ten best of all time. I don't see how Sarah Hughes could even conceivably be considered 10 best of all time. I could understand if this were a list of her 10 favorite Olympic performances, because even though I'm not a SH fan, I will admit she gave a very strong freeskate performance in SLC. But top ten ladies skater of all time, based on one great performance? Hellz no. I think PJ just wanted to include skaters that average Canadian citizens have heard of, and Sarah got a lot of attention winning OGM right after the SLC pairs scandal.

11. judgejudy27

Sarah doesnt even come close to Baiul or Lipinski in greatness and those two probably would barely make the top 30 all time. So I doubt Sarah would make the top 50. She would probably be roughly around someone like Butyrskaya (or lower). Putting Sarah Hughes in the top 10 all time makes about as much sense as putting Ina & Zimmerman as a top 10 pair team of all time.

12. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

13. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Not exactly what I'd expected, especially the order of the top 3 (and putting B/S ahead of S/P - didn't see that coming). I'm not sure why PJ has S/S on her list; she doesn't seem to like their programs much - or, I think, to really get what they're trying to accomplish.

It's a pretty good list, overall.

14. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

She lost me at: 1. Barbara Ann Scott.

Does the CBC force her to have X number of Canadians on the list?

This list is ridiculous IMO.

15. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

I'm curious as to who your #1 pick would be. Barbara Ann Scott definitely deserves to be on the list, regardless of what ranking, purely based on her merit and ability during her era.

16. floskate

floskate Vacant

Edited because I cannot read apparently!

I agree with her top 3 pairs just not necessarily in that order. ;)

17. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

OK......where's the Dance List????:)

18. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Pj should have titled her pieces PJ's my-time (instead of all-time) top ten. A serious undertaking of this would require hours of reviewing exisitng vids and reading of history.

It would, indeed, be a fantasy competition if Sarah competed and managed other than a last place finish. And what would this fantasy competition be like---would it include figures, short and long and would it be judged under 6.0 or whatever came before that or cop. Figures defeated quite a few of the skaters we now laud.

Personally, her highest scores not withstanding, I don't think Yu-na is among the greats and she doesn't seem headed in that direction either.

19. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

And why? I agree Yuna is not the greatest. I think she needs more world titles. But I'm curious to why she's not among? :confused:

20. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I clicked on the link for Underhill and Martini, haven't watched that in a long, long time. They were good. I always thought it was a shame they weren't able to hang around the eligible ranks a little longer.

21. judgejudy27

22. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

What better way to retire from eligible competition after such a devastating loss in Sarejevo than to go out on top in your own country. Their worlds win is my favourite pairs free skate ever.

They were able to capitalise on their win with a fabulous professional career that lasted 13 years, too.

23. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Barbara Ann Scott was an Olympic, World, European, North American, and National Champion. She was also the first lady to perform 2Lz in competition. She deserves #1.

The rest, well whatever floats your boat, but I could have easily left off Yu-Na or Sarah Hughes and replaced them with the inventor of the layback spin or camel spin, who is also the lady that contributed the most to the technical elements of skating.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  24. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

:eek: PJ did it only because Sarah is a dual citizen :rolleyes:

25. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

26. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

27. briancoogaert

28. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

She lost me at the Duchesnays, and no Krylova & Ovsiannikov but you include Davis & White? Really?! Denkova & Staviski, Usova & Zhulin, and even Navka & Kostomarov should've been here before a few towards the end of the list.

29. briancoogaert

LOL, Duchesnays and DavisWhite are only #9 and #10, although she had Sarah Hughes and so on in the top ladies.
    Her top 8 is realistic ! ;)

30. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I like some of her top tens but would take out Sarah Hughes from the women, I don't think with her limited longevity and technique she should make it.. and also would add Bourne & Kratz to the top ten - perhaps even replace McCall and Wilson or the other Canadians.. I totally agree with the top three in the pairs and the top ladies and dance but not really the rest..