Pj's all-time top 10: Ladies

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by clara00, Nov 4, 2011.

1. clara00

clara00 New Member

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I love PJ's writing and she has a great sense of humour.

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

A mix of best ever and good stories

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

With the emphasis on Canadians and good stories, I'm surprised Joannie Rochette didn't make the list.

5. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I would have put Joannie in instead of Karen M. Yes, the emphasis on Canadians, but then that is PJ's main audience. It would be quite the competition that's for sure.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

she has her right to her opinion, but no Tara?, Mao? Kristi? Rochette? Slutskaya? Lynn? Owen? Colledge? Anybody else? 3 Canadian Ladies in that list of 10...yeah.... Honestly the fact that Hughes is on that list (nothing against, just not top 10 ) and the ladies I mentioned are not, it just seems like a list to please Canadians. :slinkaway

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I would have included Peggy, Kristi or Tara instead of Hughes. They all have OGMs but Peggy, Kristi and Tara are also National and World Champions, and had pro careers, whereas Sarah personifies one-hit wonder and her SOI stint was a disaster. Also, Hughes didn't "own" the entire SLC ladies event; she only owned the freeskate and got lucky that Kwan and Slutskaya flopped. She's a nice girl but top ten? Not even top twenty-five.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  8. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Hughes? Really?

Well, that's her list I guess! Only 2 on this list (Kwan and Ito) would make my list. I think...

9. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Her list has 5 skaters with Canadian connections or roots and 4 obvious ones: Kwan, Ito, Witt, and Henie. The one I couldn't figure out was Dorothy Hamil.

I can imagine her top 10 men would be Chan, Orser, Cranston, Don Jackson, Browning plus some obvious ones like Plushenko, Dick Button. I wonder who the odd one would be.

10. Pierre

Pierre New Member

Barbara Ann Scott is number one? Well, that's certainly an interesting list.

11. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Sarah Hughes? Karen Magnussen? Elizabeth Manley? I'd replace them with Irina Slutskaya, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Joannie Rochette. And then switch around the order of finish.

12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I can imagine what PJ's lists would be like in the other disciplines! You could probably come up with a more convincing top 10 out of the list of skaters who failed to make the cut here...

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Its funny how she mentions that Hughes had the stars align just right and gave the performance of her life on the one night it counted and then "never did it again" but yet she is in her top 10 and above some big names. LOL

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

It is PJ's list. I am sure we would all have our own.

15. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

No wonder Canadians and Canadian connections are so highly touted since everything great about figure skating such as CoP originates from Canada. ;)

16. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Surprised nobody mentions Janet Lynn. Scoring was changed because of her.

17. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

...I did :saint:

18. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Sarah Hughes? I don't think she's even one of the top ten American ladies of all time. PJ Kwong is officialy a hack!

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. screech

screech Well-Known Member

To be fair, from your list Chan has the highest ever scores, Orser is a 2x O silver medalist, Cranston helped make Artistry important, Jackson had the Sarah Hughes moment when he won Worlds (and did the first triple lutz), Browning is obvious with his 4x worlds and the first ratified quad, as are Plush and Dick. But also you'd have to include Yags, and maybe Petrenko, Boitano, Hamilton and Robin Cousins. I could maybe see Vern Taylor too, as another Canadian on the list, because of the triple axel.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  20. t.mann

t.mann New Member

John Curry too!

21. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

The only thing Sarah Hughes should be on is all time shocker.

22. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Yeah, she lost all credibility in my mind when I saw Sarah Hughes on the list.

23. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Was she using performance or skater? If she included Sarah's performance, I don't know how Tara could be left off of the list.

24. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Hughes above Kwan???? Really????

25. senorita

senorita New Member

No Arakawa?:confused:

26. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you on Hughes. I think that most US fans(I'm one of them) would be dismayed at her absolute and relative placement on this list. In today's environment, she would be consistently dinged for under-rotated jumps and edge calls. At the Olympics, she got lucky. To place her above Michelle Kwan and nine time US champion (not a cake walk; at the time, this was IMO one of the most difficult competitions in the world) and five time world champion.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  27. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Hughes on the list, period, is the question, as well as Janet Lynn being left off the list. It's like placing Evan Lysacek on the list ahead of Brian Boitano and completely leaving off John Curry. Seriously, WTF?! :confused::eek::blah::shuffle:

28. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

It's her personal list of who she would choose and how she would place them if she were a judge. And she invites you to agree or disagree with your comments. It's a bit of fun. Some of you seriously need to lay off the lemons and lighten up.

Norlite and (deleted member) like this.
  29. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Soo... We're invited to disagree, and when we do, we're belittled for our opinions? :shuffle:

MacMadame and (deleted member) like this.
  30. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Why would she publish her personal list if she didn't want people to discuss it? :rolleyes: