Pj Kwong's Blog

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by shutterbug, Aug 31, 2010.

1. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

2. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

Thank you! PJ said hopefully by tomorrow night Tessa's interview will be up :)

3. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Thanks for posting those! They are definitely worth a read.

4. karen

karen Member

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting.

I like they are doing a Latin FD. A real departure from the past. Can't wait to see it.

6. karen

karen Member

You're welcome :) I'm looking forward to the latin FD as well. I'm still not sure I'm sold on the waltz/tango combination in the short dance. Oh well. I think I'll wait and see how the short dances look on the Grand Prix to start making judgements.

7. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Thanks for all the blog posts. I'm pleased with Tomas Verner's choice of the instrumental version of Singing in the Rain for his SP. Tomas mentioning that he was inspired by Gene Kelly and Kurt Browning's versions was a nice touch. I'm looking forward to watching his SP this year.

8. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post!

I am actually intrigued by their SD concept being similar to "The Great Gatsby". Looking forward to their Latin FD also and see what they will come up with...but generally not a fan of the Latin rhythm though...

9. meteor16

meteor16 New Member

Thanks for posting !!

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

So, how would a Tango/Waltz/Tango done during the Great Gatsby Era look like?

And Samba/Rhumba/Samba. Is that what Faiella/Scalli did back in 2003/2004 (I think that was the season)? I'm trying to think what a Samba on Ice looks like.

11. piano18

piano18 New Member

In the paragraph about the FD music being modern and not at all old school, I just want to ask what, to her is old school?

Secondly, I wish they will be cognizant of staying within the bounds of figure skating and ice dancing and please don't fall into a trap that can fall in Shpilband's camp concerning fast paced FDs: short strokes, short edges, fast short track skating into elements that give the impression of gymnastastical short track skaters. At least they have fleetingly good figure skating speed (yes, FIGURE SKATING speed!) not fake short track speed so please take your time during those step sequences and keep that style and not become an Igor Shpilband short track skating team.

i will Wait to see if they have new step sequences too...
    Also PJ quoted in the blog about them using a tango being on either side of the waltz; Tango-Waltz-Tango; is this such a good idea? So many teams immersing tango rhythm in their SD, even juniors!

Also, one-minute of the Golden Waltz is just too little. Most teams all struggle with the second iteration. Skaters should do 2 CDs in the SD.:swoon:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  12. Aussie Willy

Well there is not much choice. Tango, Waltz, Blues and something else. Not a lot of variety to pick from.

13. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Maybe I just need to actually watch a short dance, but this concept seems really bizarre to me right now. I just feel like having a random pattern of Golden Waltz in the middle of your program is going to be really weird (I guess they can put it anywhere in the program, but still).

14. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Latin FD ... I fear the worst :(

15. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Honestly, I'm excited about V/M's Latin FD. It's been a while since they've been down that road, and I think it's about time they revisit the style. I have no doubt they will do it justice. As for the tango/waltz/tango SD, if I had heard that a month ago, I would have been terrified for them, but after attending the Thornhill competition a few weeks ago I think it will work. Paul/Islam (Canadian junior champs who moved senior this year) performed their SD to a tango theme, and they absolutely knocked it out of the park. The golden waltz portion was incorporated into the program seamlessly, and it really didn't stand out in hash contrast to the rest of the music. In fact, they managed to make the waltz steps look like a tango. Having seen that combining the styles can actually work very well, I have no doubt that V/M's SD will be awesome.

16. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

The last time we had latin FD it was a DISASTER.
    May I remind everyone of Gritshuk and Platov 95 Latin FD ?? Or anyone who did one before ?

The only ones who did something quite nice were Dubreuil & Lauzon, and it was a tango.

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

No surpise - all, what V-M are doing, is worst for you :D

What V-M thinking about there FD after C-Z must changed there Latin combo FD because it wasnt good FD?

And maybe D-W will not have tango FD? S-B, V-M had tango music in there SDs

18. *Carol*

*Carol* New Member

I'm trying to remember of a modern samba song that a non brazilian can now..I don't know.

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

20. vassily

vassily New Member

I am happy they are doing a Latin dance...they were not my favourites in the past couple years, but am starting to grow on me. For someone being familiar with Great Gatsby, i am even more interrested to see what they will do in this dance.
    In regarding the music chioce of modern music, I think- Is exactly what it is. Old school, not modern music. :shuffle: Of couurse not classical, maybe something made in past 10 years?

Then you sure must have not watched much dance in the past decade because the majoirty of their skaters, with the exception of a few did not show this. in the past when so many people on this and other board talk about the 'speed skating' of a certain couple- Davis white, this is truly reflecting on them, not a generalisation of their other dance couples. To hear the same statement said by so many others again and again, I don't feel it is too fair for them or their coach.

21. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

That doesn't answer the question. What's old school, and what's modern? When I was growing up, "old school" rap referred to stuff made in the 1970s. Recently, I was told that "old school" rap/hip hop now includes stuff made in the 1990s -- the very stuff we were calling "new school"! Where's the dividing line with tango music?

22. *Carol*

*Carol* New Member

First and second links are absolutley not samba songs. Shakira mixed african influences in this song, samba also have roots in africa, but is is not samba.

The 3 link have a samba beat but its more african, I think Navarro and Bometre used this song to their african/brazilian horrible OD.

I love this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzFt7A34e0M but agian it is not a standart samba but have strong influence. This is is also nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50SuEs-ER0Y&feature=related and mayve go well with rumba, but the lyrics are dark from the dictatorial time in Brazil.

23. vassily

vassily New Member

That is a funny story- in latin and tango music it is hard to tell the boundary. but I think the modern she talked about is the music of mainstream culture currently. Could show pop, hiphopp, or just any music that is within waht is popular among younger listeners. but it is just a guess...

24. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

25. Aussie Willy

That was because Latin just did not suit G&P. They were rough skaters, the program lack refinement and it was messy messy messy. Plus her long legs with big feet in that very very short fru-fru skirt made her look like a praying mantis. It was a dog's breakfast all over.

V&M are much better than that. But I also think they need to step out of what they did last season and do something very different. Maybe the Latin will do that for them.

I would still love to see V&M though do Pink Floyd to its full potential. We never got to see that.

26. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Well, skaters (like Meryl D. and Isabelle Delobel) carve huge edges, not short ones, when they skate. But because their leg lines are shorter than most skaters, it shouldn’t be confused with skaters who actually have choppy skating. Ooops off topic :D

Many thanks to PJ for this interview…I, like everyone else is super stoked to see this new free dance. But most importantly I can’t wait to see what Tessa will wear! Hopefully she can ditch those long, shin-length dresses she wears all the time, and get a shorter dress or skirt that is a bit more revealing. Want to see diva Tessa this season. :smokin: As for the short dance are their levels being assigned in the waltz? I’m :confused: as to how this would work. Agree with Aussiewilly about wanting to see PF again...had last season not been an Olympic one, a healthy
    V/M would have probably been able to skate to it the way it was supposed to be choreographed. Still, I expect this Latin free dance to have some detailed, voidy choreography. They are more than capable of handling that.

Crossing my fingers that Verner will be one of the two men I want to win a medal at worlds this year… long overdue for a medal. His skating has always reminded me a bit of Chris Bowman/Kurt Browning…so his short program should be memorable. :swoon:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  27. piano18

piano18 New Member

Yes, thank you for agreeing with me on this!! Short-edges, short stroking; I hate! :D

AND given that you bring Davis & White as examples of the "short-track" skaters that was mentioned in the above, well, you said it not me! I said nothings! :cheer:

28. piano18

piano18 New Member

Short Edges = the LENGTH of the edge, not necessarily depth and absolutely not steepness of the edge! Anyone watching any skating, fan or not could see this :lol: tons of short edges, strokes to get from point A to B, almost looking like running on toepicks. That is short edges and short strokes I just cannot STAND. :mad:

Anyways back on topics :)

Tessa needs to improve her skating more. The basicness of her skating, steep edge, positioning is really good already, she needs to do MORE, more power, more of everything, like Domnina does have.

"Old school" is indeed a very icky sticky term. The old school R&B- or so I came to know it- Sam Cooke, Dinah Washington, Gladys Knight; now, I often hear "old school R&B" being coined to Whitney Houston, Peabo Bryson, and even Mariah Carey :eek:!!! (maybe use of the term '"old School" is used more appropriately to define Mariah, when back then she really could actually SING, she can't even sing now anymore :()

29. Aussie Willy

Whoa! An OGM isn't enough? :eek:

I am not sure exactly what you are referring to, but I don't think there is much more she needs to do. It is all pretty much there.

30. vassily

vassily New Member

Maybe I was not that clear with you (sorry for unclear words), but I didn’t agree with you. Merely was saying that regardeless of who is the coach, so many young teams growwing up in the new system are not great at refinement and poliish etc. that tends to show more in lower, younger skaterd and not much so with the top ones. Sorry if i talked Davis-white, but i thought you were talking about them because so many others have used to talk about them using 'speed skating' terms. :)