Pj Kwong’s Blog: 2011 – 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by shutterbug, May 30, 2011.

1. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

2. shutterbug

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

So, Bryce is back on the ice ... Can I interest him in our national pairs lady champion? :shuffle:

4. kppt

kppt New Member

I heard that Bryce is looking to get into coaching. Apparently he isn't healed enough to skate competitively:(

5. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Not a surprise. I figured that was a career-ending injury. I suspect Dube thought the same thing and that's why she found a new partner when she did.

6. shutterbug

Probably a smart choice for him when you look at the big picture. There isn’t much information out there about adult osteochondritis dessicans, but the rehab protocols I’ve seen for surgical intervention suggest a return to impact sports at 12 – 16 months post-op (assuming good healing). So, even if he was healing normally it’s very likely he’d miss the entire upcoming season. 25 years old, 2 years MIA from the national/international scene, starting over with a new partner….not favorable conditions for a return to top 6 in the World. He’ll make a wonderful coach, especially if he continues his education in the sports medicine field. Is he looking at joining the coaching staff at KW?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

BTW, I've posted the links to the Zhang/Zhang blogs (parts 1 & 2) in the Chinese skating/skaters thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79412

Pj's latest blog is about Patrick Chan and his quad Salchow (includes a youtube link of him talking about landing the 4S in practice recently):
    http://apps.pjkwong.com/Blog/?e=681...p with Patrick Chan...and his new friend 4Sal

8. PCFan

PCFan New Member

[QUOTEPj's latest blog is about Patrick Chan and his quad Salchow (includes a youtube link of him talking about landing the 4S in practice recently)[/QUOTE]

Great blog, I was more interested in Patrick's description of his new free program and can't wait to see. It's good to see Patrick's not resting on his laurels and is expanding his technical repertoire and challenging himself artistically.

I hope he debuts the new free during his trip to China for the Artistry on Ice shows. Patrick tweeted today that he's on his way to China for 3 weeks.

9. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

If Patrick becomes as consistent with that quad salchow as he is with the quad toe, I can't see anyone being able to catch him.

10. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Can someone please clarify- is Patrick's fundraiser for himself?

11. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yeah, but he's keeping "Take Five." Which, despite how much I enjoyed it, I'd rather he didn't.

12. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

He's keeping a program again? :rolleyes:

13. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I also can't wait to find out what his LP music is!

14. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

Take Five again? I guess keeping it makes sense, as it scores well and the off-season is shorter, but I was really hoping not to see it again.

15. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Take Five
    Phantom of the Opera
    Tango de los Exilados
    Four Seasons

I have to admit I don't get the repetition, but whatever works.

16. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I don't think the repetition is that hard to understand. He has an obvious pattern by this point, he keeps a program for 2 years, alternating them so he never spends a summer choreographing more than one new program. So unless his new free really sucks prepare yourself for a new short and the same free for 2012/13 :p

Single skaters repeat programs all the time. It doesn't bother me unless they keep going back to an old program multiple times because to me that doesn't show growth. Use a program for two seasons and show us growth and I can suck it up.

I'm less forgiving when it comes to ice dance.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  17. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I'd give the guy a break given he is upping the technical content once again. It's difficult enough to get comfortable with a new program, let alone trying to do it with new difficult elements. Remember that this is a sport, not an entertainment spectacle. ;)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

So in actuality, Chan kept the music and some program elements but changed other program elements due to the rule changes and others due to up-ing the technical content. The Olympic year did not show us what Chan is really capable of and with the big increase in technical content I really can't complain about hearing the same music again.

I admit that I have been annoyed before with skaters who keep their long programs for more than one year, especially when they had no big injury issues, which is always a mitigating circumstance. Although I had nothing against Victor Petrenko he just didn't show enough variety of program during his competitive years. I think there was no excuse for using the same program 3 years. In some cases I may not have been as conscious of all the changes and felt they were just repeating because they are either too slow to learn or not confident enough to try something new. Also when the top skaters were allowed to compete in 3 Grand Prix events, made it to the finals and the Worlds I would get pretty tired of seeing the same thing over and over after even just the one year. As much as I loved Yagudin, I got bored watching him by the end of the season. This could very well happen again now with the skaters that choose to take the 3 GP opportunity.

19. venja

venja New Member

Just as long as Patrick stops with the story that lots of people don't really get (e.g. putting arms around two ladies and then getting punched), I'll be okay with keeping the program. However, I will be less forgiving if he keeps a program heading into the Olympic year.

I just saw Cynthia's SP video. Glad she upped the technical content with the loop, however I'm still a bit upset that she's not consistent with the lutz. It seems that she has improved on her flexibility with the layback spin, and what pushes it into the awesome category is that she changes her edge at the end (it was done in the past, but she perfected it now).

20. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I heartily agree that Patrick should lose the cheesy story from his Take 5 program. It's not clear without an explanation , and goes the worst way for 'story' programs for me ..that is ,heavy mime,imaginary people on the ice,etc.
    I wish he'd just interpret the music...this wouldn't require a lot of change.

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yulia Vorobieva's "Alladin" SP... :D

She kept it for what like 5 seasons?