PJ caught up with Josee Chouinard as well!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lise, Jul 29, 2010.

1. lise

lise Well-Known Member

2. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I still miss Josee Chouinard...

algonquin and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I miss her skating too (and the peanut gallery comments about her nerves can just shut it...).

4. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

"skating destroyed me and built me" --

stellar quote, full of self awareness about her up and down career, full of rough performances and great ones, too.

somehow her nervousness and vulnerability made her a more compelling personality - a star -- than the steady athletes of her time.

even when she wasn't on, i loved to watch her skate. she had some of the finest choreography (1994 season).

5. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I also loved Josee's skating. She had such spunk, as well as grace, out there.

What's really sad though? This is the first thread about Josee at FSU since blades passing I think. It's so strange to see a Josee thread and no post from him in it. :(

6. Picton

Picton Member

I thought of blades too. What a great sense of humour he had.

7. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Josee so much.

8. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i have given my dad many pressies over the years- and the ONE thing he treasures? is my skate canada 2008 picture with my 5 week old daughter and JOSEE! ( it has never left the mantle since~)
    I can only hope that she comes to victoria in 2011 so I can update the pic LOL
    good to read about her - thanks for the link

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Count me as another Josee fan! I always found her programs so captivating. She had such a vulnerable beauty to her and a terrific, entertaining personality on the ice.

10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I loved her Sweater program and her American in Paris FS.

Good work PJ. Love your writing.

11. stevlin

stevlin Member

Who was Blades?

12. scs

scs Member

It's good to hear that she is doing well. Does anyone know what Jean Michel Bombardier is doing these days? (I don't think they are married anymore.) At one point, he was working in some capacity with a skating show....

13. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

He used to own his own company that produced various events - including several skating tours and shows. I'm not sure that his company exists anymore and would also be very interested in knowing what he is doing.

Josee did say in an interview during the Olympic Games that they have been separated - for around four years I think. I find that truly shocking because they were together for so many years and their children would have been very young when they separated. It's very sad to see any relationship end - particularly when they have been together for so long and have children together.

14. Sonata

Sonata Active Member

I still miss Josee's skating too. I don't think I've ever been so emotionally invested in a skater. (I can even look past the fact that she named Pretty Woman as her favourite movie in a recent article).

People still bring her up in conversations. During the Vancouver Olympics, a colleague brought her up, reminiscing about how crushing it was to watch her at the Olympics. That was 16 years ago! I don't think people would remember those disappointments if she hadn't touched them so personally. Like Orser, I think the pain she went through during her career only served to make her a better coach, who cares about a student's long term well being. Happy to hear that she's found her niche.

15. lise

lise Well-Known Member

I loved Josee as well; I followed her career from juniors through professional. I was always so frustrated for her that she could not put 3 back to back skates together; it was one or the other. Off the ice she's extremely nice and personable; you could tell she appreciates her fans.

I knew about the separation 4 years ago and I feel bad for her and her kids. She has a great support system with her mom and I'm thrilled that she's found her niche in helping others. I can't believe the twins are 5 already! Where did the time go?

16. AragornElessar

blades was a dear friend to many of us not just here at FSU, but at other skating boards as well. He was also one heck of a character who had many of us in stitches from his postings. blades was a huge Josee fan and I'm pretty sure even that's an understatement. :)

It's been a couple of years since his passing, but I miss him around here, as well as his friendship.

Know what's even scarier? Daria Grinkova's at that age where kids are seriously thinking of what College/University they want to attend in a year or two.

As you said...Where did the time go to!?!

17. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

She's such a classy lady...

I skated as "local talent" in a show that she was in many moons ago. I got to practice with the "stars" and promptly got in her way. I was horrified and felt terrible. She was so generous and kind with me and even remembered me three or four years later at a seminar.

"Skating destroyed me and built me"

I love that. That sums up how I feel about the sport.

18. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Josee and jean-Michel have been separated since about 6 months after their twins were born.

blades was a long-time poster here and on other boards who had met many people here on the board. He died a few years ago and the next skating event, there was an empty seat with his name on it to honour him.

ETA: guess we were posting at the same time, AE

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  19. AragornElessar

No problems Mevrouw. :)

20. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Looks like he’s still at it: Celebration on Ice – Facebook

A bit of superficial comment I guess, but I have to say how fantastic Josee looks. Never in a million years would you guess she’s over 40.

21. AragornElessar

I don't think so and is quite a compliment in my books. :)

22. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

When Josee and Jean-Michel were together, blades referred to J-M as Josee's dog walker.

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I loved Josee's skating and miss seeing her on the ice!

24. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I raise my glass to Blades with his trademark Bombay Saphirre.

25. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Josee win Canadians in 1994 in Edmonton (a week after attending U.S. Nationals in Detroit). Her short and free programs were so beautifully constructed that year, if she skated them at the same level in Lillehammer, everyone sitting with me agreed she was a shoe-in for an Olympic medal, if not the gold.

That was a great memory.

algonquin and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Former Lurve Goddess

Former Lurve Goddess Active Member

Speaking of PJ Kwong, she's the August writer-in-residence at Open Book Toronto. She has a book, Taking the Ice: Success Stories from the World of Canadian Figure Skating, coming out in September.

http://www.openbooktoronto.com/ http://www.takingtheice.com/

I'm guessing that Josee's mentioned in the book;)

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Where can a US reader order a copy?

28. Sonata

Sonata Active Member

That link mentions a contest for a free copy of PJ Kwong's book. Anyone know if it's only open to those in the Toronto area? I can't find the full contest rules.

29. Former Lurve Goddess

Former Lurve Goddess Active Member

If you e-mail the editors at open book (see the the about us link), I'm sure they can fill you in on the contest details. They usually respond fairly quickly.

On the taking the ice website, it says that details on how to make international orders will be available when the book is out.