Phones - prepaid, go-phones, no contract etc

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by A.H.Black, Apr 24, 2013.

1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I know there was a recent thread about phone plans. This is my version.

I have had a Nextel phone for the last 8 years. I got it because it had unlimited data. Sprint took over Nextel several years ago and now Sprint is going to discontinue Nextel at the end of June. I no longer need the data plan and I am looking for the most inexpensive way to keep a cell phone. I almost never use the phone and really only need it for emergencies or travel. I don't text. I do want to port the phone number I have - it has been in my family for over 60 years and I would like to hang on to it. I have been looking around on the web but I really don't know what I'm doing. I know I don't want to pay Sprint $50 a month for a phone I will almost never use.

A friend used to have an account with a company called Nexus. She was able to purchase so many minutes once-a-year and that was plenty for her. It would be for me as well.

I see the AT&T go-phone has plans for months, days and pay as you go. I don't know if that would work for me.

I would appreciate some recommendations and/or bad experiences and/or advice.

Thanks

2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I use the VIRGIN no-contract service. My mom has the very basic service which is a minimum charge of $20/every 3 months to maintain active service. I use the $35/month service which has unlimited text and data (the real reason I have it), and gives you 300 minutes/month. As I seldom call anyone, that's more than enough! :lol:

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I used the Virgin service for a couple of years. I had no problem with it. It suited my needs well at the time.

4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Another vote for Virgin Mobile, although I've never used other "pay as you go" services. But Virgin was a good one for me, and very cost-effective

5. A.H.Black

The service your mom has must not be available anymore to new customers. When I checked the plans, the least expensive was $20.00 a month rather than $20.00 every 3 months.

6. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I use a tmobile pay as you go phone. I paid 100 dollars for a year and got the phone for 20 dollars. Phone calls are 10 cents a minute. You have to pay into it when the year is up to roll the minutes over into the next year. You don't have to put in 100 dollars, but it's cheaper per minute if you do. I now have a bunch of minutes. Like you, I only use it rarely, for emergencies or if I'm meeting someone somewhere or if I'm out of town and want to call people. It's a cheapy phone but works just fine. I got it at Costco.

7. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Interesting...I didn't know that. As a continuing customer I know she still has this plan

8. znachki

znachki Active Member

Your use level sounds a lot like mine. I have a land line at home and my cell phone is usually off. I have it on mostly when I'm out and about or when I travel. I do a bit of texting also, mostly of the "I'll be ther in a few minutes" variety.

I have an AT&T "Go" phone, which is pay as you go. I do the $100 a year, which rolls over (or it did, I went over to pole around, and now I'm not sure). It's worked well for me so far.

(sounds a lot like AJ skatefan's plan)

9. KCC

KCC Active Member

Verizon also has the $100/year prepaid plan. I live in an area with no cell service, but have a Tracfone for when I travel. Works on the AT&T network. Seems to be okay for me - I just add minutes as needed, usually from a $20 card, for talk, text, and Internet access (which I never do from the phone, but it is there if needed).

10. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

^When I was in the USA traveling for a year I used tracfone. By far the best and cheapest way of doing it!!

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I used Tracfone for a while but found the voice quality to be horrible. Maybe it was because my phone was only $20,but still, it was painful to listen and talked to people over the phone.

12. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

60 years??? As in, since 1953??? I didn't know you could port a landline phone number over to a wireless connection.

13. znachki

znachki Active Member

I remember in the past that some company - don't remember who, basically offered one number for both. But that was several years ago, and who knows now.

14. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I never heard of that before.

15. A.H.Black

Yep. It started as Ingersoll, then the prefix went to IN, then the number prefix. When we started it was a party line. Finally got a private line in about 1960. My parents always kept the same phone number as they didn't move after they built their home in 1950. I inherited the number. I thought, when I moved out of town, that I would have to lose the number as it is part of a geographical rate center. However, I happened to check with my cell phone provider and they were able to port it for me. I still can't port it to my current land line, but I hope I can still port it to my cell phone.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  16. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I think I started the cell phone discussion last year. I got to keep my Verizon phone and paid $100 for 400 minutes (25 per minute to use) for a year back in August. It was easier than having to buy minutes every month to keep the service going. As of yesterday, I still have ~6 HOURS of minutes left. I will have to buy more minutes in August that I won't use so that these roll over. It just goes on and on and on. And you know the minute I cancel the cell phone, that's when I would need it. (related - I was searching for a grave in a gigantic cemetery yesterday <named streets, lots of hills> and the person in the office told me to call them if I got lost and someone would come help me. I did. So there I was, using my cell phone in the cemetery. Felt kind of creepy. But if I wouldn't have had a cell phone, I would have had to drive back to the office and then start all over again. I was only off by one row, but I got so turned around from the map. Then I found it myself once he pointed me in the right direction......)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  17. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

60 years - possible. My phone number is the same one my parents had when they got married in 1952. I kept it when I moved into this house after my dad died since the whole family and any of the friends I had growing up already had it.