Philip Seymour Hoffman RIP

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think it might be sooner than we think, but that it doesn't mean it will be banned. After all, you can still manufacture, sell, buy and smoke cigarettes and I don't think there are too many people left out there who deny that they are a bad thing.

There is a lot of scholarship out there now and continuing to come out on the evils of sugar, and further, all the fake sugars that while they are calorie free are just as harmful. I can imagine a time in the not to distant future when we see warning labels on food packages the same way we see them on cigarettes, and perhaps not long after that, restrictions on advertising sugar-based products, and maybe even age minimums on purchasing them.

Here is a very interesting article from three years ago: Is Sugar Toxic?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I always thought that calling something a disease makes it easier for the person suffering to be treated and have it paid for with insurance. I am probably being very simplistic and I'm probably completely wrong though. :lol:

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Certainly isn't working with psych disorders. Insurance is awful in covering them.

4. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

But are they recognized as diseases? Or disorders? Or something completely different? I seriously have no idea. But I DO know that they are not covered by most insurance plans, and I think that's disgusting. :(

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

You definitely have a point though, even if cruisin is also right that insurance or medicaid coverage for mental disorders tend to be awful.

Look that the transgender community. There's a break in thinking regarding whether "Gender Dysphoria" (known as Gender Identity Disorder in the past) should still be listed as a mental condition that needs treatment in the DSM. Those who may be more privileged in the community want it out of the DSM because they find their status being listed as a mental disorder to be demeaning. However, those who rely on State services like Medicaid and those who cannot save up money (due to inability to find work due to discriminatory attitudes) to get the treatment (hormone therapy and gender-affirming surgeries), they want to keep it as a mental disorder to help argue in favor of medical coverage.

6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

IMO, policy will be the only thing that can change that. Not by banning them outright, but by making them more economically unfeasible to produce. Corporations go to where the money is of least resistance. I always did think it was ridiculous that processed foods are the cheapest to buy. In my view, the more times a food has passed through a factory and processed, the more it should be taxed. That would solve a lot of our health problems, I think. :lol:

But that's only for food. Oppressively addictive drugs are obviously trickier to fight, because even as drugs have gotten more expensive, addicts simply put themselves through more desperation to get them.

And I'm not a smoker, but I don't understand why some smokers put up a such a fuss when cigarette taxes are increased, or smoking is banned in more places. No, I don't think we as a society should make it easier to slowly kill yourself and others.

But we all know the reason for such concessions for tobacco (and guns, etc) is because of lobbies in Congress...

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't know, I think the fact that a lot services have become pretty dependent on these so-called "sin" taxes. Heard in NYC, that the tobacco taxes help pay for public schools.

I also find these sort of taxes regressive in that it always harms working class people and below more than any other class of people. Of course, the argument is that it might encourage them to quit smoking and they will benefit in the long run. I still see it as a punishment that harms people in the lower classes. But then I'm biased. I'm a smoker from a lower working-class background. I do understand why smoking would be banned in many public establishments. I used to be against that because I thought that should be a decision left up to employers and business owners. However, I do understand that a lot of employees don't really have a choice in their occupations and second-hand smoke is a public hazard. That said, I miss being in New Orleans where one could still smoke in bars.

8. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

This thread has gone off-topic. So I started a new thread:

Is Addiction A Disease?

So if you are interested in talking about addiction, the link above will take you to that thread.

P.S. I was curious as to just how far this thread has gone off-topic. 30 of the last 31 posts have absolutely nothing to do with Philip Seymour Hoffman.

To get things back on topic, an article about Philip Seymour Hoffman:

Arrests Made in Philip Seymour Hoffman Death Investigation

It includes:

The article also mentions his partner Mimi O'Donnell and how some of their famous friends are offering support:

9. cruisin

Just saw something on the news, implying there might have been something more sinister regarding the amount of heroin Hoffman had. Implications that he was, in some way, connected to a drug ring.

10. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I read that his heroin was not any of the tainted batches.

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

At the end of the Daily Show earlier this week, Jon Stewart played a clip of Hoffman talking about acting. Sort of like advice for beginning actors. The part The Daily Show played started at about the 5:45 mark of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYGIOUB2mig

:respec:

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That made me really sad. He did work hard on small roles and was memorable in Twister before he made it big.

13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Lawrence O'Donnell showed a brief clip of PSH's interview by Jon Stewart. Not sure if it was the same link as the one above.

14. Vash01

Thank you PeterG for bringing this thread back on topic.

I read a couple of news stories today. One said that 4 have been arrested regarding the heroin found in PSH's home, but the other said they have only been questioned.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  15. duane

duane New Member

I was blown away by his performance--perhaps because it was so unlike the character in the only movie of his (Boogie Nights) that I had seen at the time.

It seems the most talented actors are the most troubled.

16. cruisin

Artists and musicians as well. I do wonder, sometimes, if creative people tend to be more vulnerable to depression. A chicken or the egg sort of thing. Could the chemical imbalances be the very things that make people more creative?

17. Vash01

Misery/suffering is a very important part of human life. IMO great artists often tap into it and face it head on. Some of the greatest works in various arts have their roots in tragedy. Van Gogh was another example of a suffering artist; he was almost crazy. Monet was never happy, from what I read about him. I do believe they are overly sensitive, and can feel the pain which us mortals are usually able to dampen or avoid by doing other things.

My two cents.

18. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Philip Seymour Hoffman 'killed by toxic mix of drugs'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26394100

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:fragile:

20. Vash01

I read this yesterday and thought- what a horrible tragedy! It was an accident waiting to happen.:(

When will people realize drugs are extremely dangerous?

21. cruisin

I ask myself that question constantly. And, as if, the prescription opiates we already have are not bad enough. A new one is on the horizon, this month. http://rt.com/usa/new-painkiller-deadly-dangerous-260/ Against all reason, this drug was approved. It is potentially lethal, even if taken in prescribed doses. We know this will get into the hands of people who will abuse it. I just don't get it. I don't blame pharmaceuticals for this I blame the FDA.

22. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Maybe I've been listening to too much Coast to Coast AM or our somewhat "eccentric" overnight cleaner at work but if the drug is as dangerous as said it almost sounds like the FDA WANTS it that easy for patients to die. I mean, yes, I can see arguing the need for a drug for, say, terminal cancer patients who aren't responding to other painkillers any more, but doesn't morphine already cover that without, ironically, being that easily lethal by accident?

23. cruisin

One thing which is unclear, with Zohydro, is whether or not it will be available for home prescription. Or, if it will only be available in hospitals and hospice/pain centers. Not that it won't get into the wrong hands either way. But, it will be far less if it is not available for home use.

And, why did they not formulate it with the same precautions that they have used to make Oxycodone, et al, uncrushable, unable to snort?

Danceronice, are you suggesting that it would be a "legal" form of euthanasia?

24. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'm just saying, if the article is correct and a single pill badly timed could be a fatal overdose in an adult plus they haven't taken basic precautions to make misuse difficult, it certainly seems like it would make accidentally-on-purpose ODing a breeze and if it's that evident to me as a layperson, the FDA must have realized this but either does not care or finds it a desirable characteristic.

25. cruisin

I am fairly certain that the article is spot on. This was covered on all major network news outlets, yesterday. There are quite a few articles discussing the serious danger and the opposition to it's release.

26. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Gosh! I'm just sort of shocked right now. This is really sad!

RIP, Philip. :(

27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

quietus. you decide when.

29. cruisin

Didn't mean to derail. I thought it was apropos, seeing as PSH had a heroin addiction. And this new drug is a very dangerous opioid.