Philip Seymour Hoffman RIP

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by allezfred, Feb 2, 2014.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Liv and CNN had it right...This does feel like a robbery, as there was more talent in Phillip Seymour Hoffman's little finger than the entire body of most "stars" of today and now we'll never know what he would have gifted us w/next. I still don't quite believe this and am still in shock.

One of my favourite actors of all time. May he finally be at peace. :(

2. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

Totally shocked at the news. I'm somewhat pissed. Never knew he had an addiction problem. :(

RIP.

3. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Well-put. So sad. :(

4. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

This totally sucks. He was so fcking brilliant actor. I'm devastated :-(

5. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Unfortunate. An interesting actor. I always felt he was a supporting actor and someone that could make something of some rather small roles. But I won't be nostalgically pretending he was one of the most ambitiuous actors around. What does that even mean?

6. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I don't see where anyone in this thread said that he was one of the most 'ambitious' actors around. 'Brilliant' has been thrown out a few times, though.

7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. magicpixie

magicpixie New Member

Shocked. One of my favorite actors. Loved him in Synecdoche and The Savages.

RIP

9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Dead on the bathroom floor with a needle stuck in his arm. What a crappy, pathetic way to die. :(

Having said that, I thought he was beyond fabulous in Capote. Absolutely brilliant.

10. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Very tragic news. :( I always enjoyed his work in films. Unfortunately, as soon as I read reports that he was a heroin user I figured he was heading down a very dark road like most heroin addicts who don't get help in time. RIP.

11. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

How very sad that such a talented man should die in this way. Sometimes the demons are too powerful. :(

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I think the first time I saw hi was in "The Talented Mr. Ripley". He lit up the screen! He had a presence and a gift for being bigger than life and subtle at the same time. Is it me, or does it seem that lately, we are losing so many gifted people to drugs. I know we are losing people who are not famous, as well. But, we hear about stars, and it seems that this is becoming epidemic.

To go for so many years clean. Heartbreaking!

13. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I love the movie, too & he was so good in it! He made every part his own & will be missed. Very sad to hear about this :fragile:

14. Vash01

15. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

16. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I didn't even know he had a drug problem. Such a shock. RIP

17. Vash01

Just saw a headline that said - 1)the autopsy would be today, and 2)they found 50 bags of heroin and many syringes in his apartment. He must have really suffered to do this to himself.

18. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

50 bags.

ETA: On ABC National News tonight, they said 70 bags.

19. Vash01

Cruisin, you may be on to something. Here is an article on that very issue.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/epidemic-heroin-hoffman-new-face-growing-abuse-2D12044971

20. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

There was also a story on the PBS Newshour about the current heroin epidemic. It confirmed the observations of my mother (who works in the drug rehab industry). She told a while back that the rehab sees a lot more patients who are addicted to heroin. She also said that the new heroin addicts almost always start with prescription painkillers before moving on to heroin.

21. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Ever few months here, the NYS police issue warnings to any herion users that people are dying because of heroin laced with fentanyl. I just read that they think this might have been the case with Philip Seymour Hoffman. It's apparently very lethal. Around here (Buffalo, NY area) there have been quite a few deaths from it...they come in clumps. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/03/fentanyl-laced-heroin-deaths_n_4716453.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/philip-seymour-hoffman-could-be-linked-to-fentanyl-heroin-2014-2

22. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

In Toronto as well Badams and that was my first thought after the shock wore off, was it what we all think of as Heroin or was it this new mixture that's proving so deadly right now? Guess we won't know unless we're told by the NYPD, but it did cross my mind last night.

I read at the CBC that Broadway's lights will be dimmed for a moment of Tribute Wednesday night.

23. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

According to police over 50 bags of heroin were found. I hate to say it but this sounds like suicide.

24. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I was in a store when I read the breaking news on my Facebook yesterday afternoon and gasped so loudly, I frightened the nearby customers. I showed them my iPhone so they could see the news and they all gasped loudly, too.

50 bags of heroin???? I had no idea he had addiction problems. Why does it seem like the most fabulously talented people manage to destroy themselves far, far too soon? :(

25. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

26. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

There has been no mention of a suicide note. Although they reportedly found a bunch of used needles, suggesting that he had been using heroin in that apartment for a while, most of the 50+ bags had not been used and that much would not have been needed to commit suicide. I assume he planned to eventually use them, which would suggest that he did not intend to die. Intentional or not, his death is tragic and shows how drugs destroy lives.

27. Vash01

The thought crossed my mind too, but may be it was just an accident. Let us wait until the investigation is complete. I feel so sorry for him and his family!

28. Vash01

On MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell show, Lawrence showed clips from several of PSH's movies, including Boogie Nights, Capote, Charlie Wilson's war, Master. Every character was completely different. He acted in the theatre too. Such a waste of a talent! Here goes another one on the 'Gone too soon' list. He was just 46 years old. :(

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  29. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

According to initial reports, PSH was supposed to pick up his kids that day, and when he didn't show up, that's when he was found. So that's why I think it was accidental. I hate to think what they had to tell his kids when Daddy didn't show. :(

I think it's such a shock because even though he was public with his past drug problems, he didn't seem like a party animal like a lot of Young Hollywood. We often associate hard drug use with parties and flippant things. His work was so good, he seemed so in control of himself. His addiction was his own private pain.

30. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of news in NJ, over the last year or so, that heroin use has sky rocketed. Not just in the depressed, urban areas, that many seem to believe that heroin use is exclusive to. But, in affluent areas and on college campuses. NJ police departments are now issuing injectable and and spray forms of Narcan (an opioid antagonist, which inhibits the side effects of opiates - specifically central nervous system and respiratory shut down), to policemen. The faster they can administer the Narcan, the more likely the person who OD'd will survive. Assuming they are alive when found. Waiting for an ambulance or paramedics can lose precious life saving time. I only use NJ as the example I am aware of, I am sure this is going on all over the country. I am wondering if part of that is because it is no longer thought of as just a drug that is used with a needle. Many users snort it. I wonder if the idea of shooting up scared off some. But snorting doesn't. That and, as was already pointed out, the ease with which prescription opiates can be gotten.

I have had quite a few oral surgeries. I am always prescribed Percodan, for pain. There are usually 20 tablets in the script. The pain from multiple dental implants (for me, at least) is bad enough to take 1 or 2 Percodan over the first 24 hours. Why would I need 20 of them? I switch to Advil ASAP and get rid of the extra Percodan as soon as I have taken the ones I need. I am not saying that my oral surgeon is doing anything wrong, he knows me and knows I only take pain meds if I absolutely have to. But, why do they give so much, as a standard?

Anita, I heard that he was supposed to take his son to the Superbowl. :(