Phil Hersh's latest blog 11/19/10

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kwanette, Nov 19, 2010.

1. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

2. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

And quoting FSU, no less.

3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Phil couldn't even be bothered to attend Skate America (citing hard times for the media), so he had to write about what he saw on TV -- and quote FSU's snarky thread titles as apt descriptions of the performances (he neglected to point out that these were written BEFORE any skating ensued in the various events). Unfortunately, the snark turned out to be all too descriptive. Anyway, I suppose Sharpie is glad to know that FSU is providing a valuable service to cash-strapped journalists. :rolleyes:

4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Ouch!

5. kwanette

And an asterisk for Davis and White? That's insulting.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Now that I know Phil Hersh reads FSU... SHUT THE F*** UP. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY DON'T SAY YOUR IDIOTCY AT ALL, PHIL.

You know why your dumb predictions in 2006 were wrong? It's because you're an imbecile, who apparently knows absolutely zip about figure skating (so what if you've followed the sport for 25 years? You've apparently learned nothing). I don't even know why you get published with your lack of ability to write.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:lol: We're famous!

8. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Hey Phil, Icenetwork.com subscription is $30.00 for the year. Maybe your "cash-strapped" paper can spring for you so actually CAN watch an event you trying to cover :rolleyes:

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

An asterisk? Uh, Phil, that's not how it works. :rolleyes:

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't like the asterisk idea or even that its a foregone conclusion that they will win. I want them to win, I just don't want them to be jinxed!! (Even though I'm not sure if I believe in jinxes.) :D

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

BRAVO to Phil Hersch for telling it like it is. Lots of true-isms here, such as:

The best thing one can say Abbott so far this season is he has been competent.

Who would have ever thought the top Russian pair would need an emigree from Japan?

And this one is most enlightening:

[It's] worth noting that the top two women's total scores this season belong to Russians in the Junior Grand Prix, where the free skate has one fewer scoring element than in the senior Grand Prix.

The "asterisk" comment on Meryl and Charlie is catty but the truth is that they will suffer the thoughts that skating fans all over the world had in 1979 about Tai & Randy's World win with Rodnina/Zaitsev out for the season: What if THEY would have been there, would Tai & Randy have had a prayer to win? Probably not, especially in the old subjective scoring system.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  12. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

I thought asterisks were reserved for athletes on HGH. :eek:

It is insulting. Competitors can't help what happens to their rivals; injuries, meltdowns, whatever. It's like the age debate back in Torino. The competition is with everyone who shows up. Even if someone's main rivals didn't show up, it doesn't always mean winning is suddenly a cakewalk.

ETA: Well at least everyone was equally dragged behind the wagon?

13. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I don't think Savchenko/ Szolkowy's style can be called "over- the- top". "Out of Africa?", "Schindler's List?" Hardly not subtle. They can do different styles. So, they are having fun this year. Good for them.

14. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I'm sure that the newspaper's budget for sportswriters to travel is not in Hersch's control. I have a friend who works for the sports department of a newspaper. There is no budget for travel outside of their own direct coverage of the local D-1 university's sports. And when it comes to minor sports for them (i.e. not football, men's b-ball or volleyball) there is no travel budget at all.

I don't always like or agree Hersch, but it is silly to blame him if the Tribune won't fly him to Portland and even sillier to expect him to foot the bill himself and miss work. He has other responsibilities for his job.

15. kwanette

Re: Charlie and Meryl, does that mean that any winner in the past whose main rival was absent gets an asterisk? We should make a list..it would be a long one.

16. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

This is my favorite part of all: and Canada's perpetually overscored Patrick Chan. I am glad atleast someone had the guts to say it.

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Because a bunch of people from around the world read his blog, link to it from a message board, and discuss it in rapidly-growing threads? ;)

I agree with everything that's been said here about Phil's stupid comments, but the way to put him out of business is to stop reading what he writes. Although that doesn't mean that the Trib (which also owns the L.A. Times and a bunch of other papers) will hire someone knowledgable about skating to replace him. In this case, I think bad writing is better than no writing, unfortunately.

I do hope that the Trib can find the money in its budget to send Phil to Nats, or at least make sure the IN subscription is paid up. Because there is a lot of up-and-coming talent in the Novice and Junior ranks and I think if Phil got to see that, he'd stop bemoaning the future of U.S. skating.

18. casken

casken Well-Known Member

That's your definition of guts?

19. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

You act as if Virtue & Moir destroyed Davis & White at the Olympics and Worlds and D & W wouldn't have a chance against them now. Far as i'm concerned Davis & White got robbed at Worlds this year and beat them fair and square but Olympic gold medals carry a lot of weight with the judges.

20. bek

bek Guest

I think Hersh is being a bit dire. I mean in the case of Kanako, he seems to forget that both Asada AND Kim had mistakes in their first couple of GP skates. Second, one could point out how "dire" 2006 Olympics was, and then next season Kim and Asada entered the show. The fact that there are two young Junior skaters capable of outscoring the other Seniors, suggests at the very least, things will hopefully get better by Sochi.

As for Davis/White, I'd point out that with Tessa's injury issue while Virtue/Moir say they are coming back, who knows if them coming back will actually happen. Its very possible that P/B might become a significant challenge. If Davis and White skate like they did at Skate America, and P/B skate like they did at Cup of China, P/B should come out on top if the judging is fair. Of course I expect Charlie and Meryl to skate much better at Worlds this year.

21. ever

ever New Member

22. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I usually make the point that at least Hersh is writing about skating. This blurb makes me wish he had not bothered. Dreary skating? Yeah, right.

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ugh. I hate that dismal attitude. I personally love Kanako and expect to see her up there with Elizaveta Tutktamshyeva in 2014. I also think that Agnes Zawadzki has a big future ahead of her, as does Christina Gao-and there are probably a handful of others I'm not thinking of at the moment.

And I think that Worlds 2011 is going to be way more fun than the GP series has been.

24. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

Hersh seems to mean the early part of the season (before yuna wins 06TEB and 06GPF). :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  25. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

And Hersh is still relevant because...?

26. DreamSkates

DreamSkates New Member

When was the last time Hersh said something nice about skating in general. Maybe he just hates figure skating and shouldn't be writing about it. Why are more skaters falling and injuring themselves these days? That's all he seems to see. Sure I don't like to see a splatfest but I have a measure of respect for these athletes who invest so much time, money, energy, etc. to get to the top levels of skating. So what if Hersh doesn't like it.

27. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. Mistakes are the norm rather than exception in GP programs, many of which are underwhelming at this point in the season. But it's still exciting to see the new programs and watch them evolve - and there are always pleasant surprises, this year being no exception (i.e. the two Murakami's, Moscovitch and Moore-Towers, Sui and Hen, Armin at SA.

Phil needs to sit down with PJ Kwong and talk to her about FS. Her love of the sport is infectious and dour and grumpy Phil could use an infusion of her enthusiasm.

28. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

The only reason Phil knows that Chan is overscored is because he read it in FSU.

29. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I wouldn't necessarily assume that to be the case because Hersh wrote about this topic in his November 2nd blog after Skate Canada: Tales from the Great White North: Chan's scores a joke; ...

I don't particularly enjoy reading Hersh's negativity but, on the whole, I think he does respect and understand figure skating as sport.

30. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

My guess is he read the outrage here about Chan's scores after SC, went back and watched the videos, chatted on the phone with Weiss :rolleyes: to get his take on the whole matter and then wrote that "article". I wonder if he feels vindicated in his writing what with all the topics here about Chanflation? :lol: