Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Yukari Lepisto, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Yukari Lepisto

Yukari Lepisto Active Member

Praise for Alissa Czisny
    Dumpage for Rachaell Flatt
    http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2010/12/the-rise-and-fall-czisny-skates-to-the-top-flatt-hits-her-bottom.html

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I know Rachael did badly, very badly by the looks of her scores- but losing at the Grand Prix final is something most skaters could never dream to do. It's not like it's an open event. I wouldn't dump her so quick.

I didn't actually read the article because Phil just makes me mad. It's a wonder he mentioned Alissa- he never seems to have anything nice to say.

3. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

I say wait until Nationals until you make a definite judgement on Flatt.

Maybe it was the jetlag from flying to Beijing. Although didn't she do okay at the NHK Trophy?

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wish I sucked so badly that I could qualify to compete among six of the top skaters in the world :rolleyes:

Phil needs to STFU. It's one thing to be disappointed in a skater's performance at a single event. It's quite another to essentially tell her she's washed up and should retire NOW. If he knows as much about skating as he claims he does, he would maybe be more respectful of Flatt's situation. No skater wants to go out on a bad note, and even if he seriously does think she's finished, there are more tactful and supportive ways to express that than to tell her to enroll in school next month.

And a further :rolleyes: at his implication that his telling Emily Hughes to retire were the words of wisdom that she needed to hear to move on with her life :rolleyes:

5. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Phil, you may not be able to see my middle finger right now, but trust me it is pointed at you.

I liked it when we had one thread for everything this twat thought instead of opening a new thread every time he graces us with some piece of bullshit. Stop clicking on the links, it keeps him employed.

6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Except several people said pretty much the same thing in the thread. Just sayin.....

7. Theatregirl1122

And I pointed out why they were being ridiculous. But no one is paying them to talk or supporting their continued employment by reading their BS.

8. dundas

dundas Banned Member

Whether we like a skater or not, it's embarrassing and stupid for armchair fans including so many on this board to suggest what a skater should do with their career choice.

It's their career. It's none of our business. The majorities of 'fans' should just retire from their professional careers if we apply the same standard. Stupid.:lol:

9. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I don't think Rachel did as horribly as I read after watching. It seemed like an off competition.

The Hersh has become boring and predictable.

10. dundas

dundas Banned Member

BTW, Alissa was lucky. If there's a stricter caller who's unfriendly to her jump technique, She would probably have gotten 3-4 jumps downgraded.

11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

This article makes me mad. I mean, everyone knows Alissa has the potential to be great and has had this potential for some 5 or 6 years now. Occasionally, she delivers, and this time she did. Because of the depleted field in the year after an olympic season, Miki Ando's horrific SP, Carolina Kostner's injury, and a generous technical caller who didn't issue her edge calls and under-rotations a stricter caller most definitely would have, Alissa was able to win - by 2 points. Great for her but it's not that big a deal or surprise and even she probably knows that she was lucky Miki bombed the SP, Kanako and Carolina each popped an important jump in their FS, and that Yuna, Joannie, Laura and Mao were not at this event.

So Rachael bombed. Alissa has done that plenty of times and the judges don't take problem with her, she just won the GPF for crying out loud. It's one competition, and maybe she should not have competed here, but it was the first time she qualified so she probably wanted to try and skate. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, if Rachael bombs that badly at nationals and Alissa is brilliant and goes on to medal at Worlds, then Hersh can talk, but until then :rolleyes: ....

12. equatorial

equatorial New Member

I've never been the most ardent supporter of Ms Flatt, to put it very very mildly. But this piece is downright ridiculous. It's Phil Hersh that "went past rock bottom and could have buried himself for good".

13. aliona22

aliona22 New Member

This is wrong on so many levels. It's easy to be the opinionated older man on the internet judging girls and telling them what to do with their lives. All of his little complimentary adjectives don't disguise the fact that his words are subordinating and inappropriate.

14. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Should-a, would-a, could-a. You could apply these "what-if" type of situations to almost every event..

IF Mirai hit her layback at TEB, she would've won.

IF Akiko hit her second 3Lz at COR, she would've won.

IF Oda didn't Zayak at SA, he would've won.

The bottom line is, that Miki did bomb her SP, and Akiko and Carolina did pop jumps. It wasn't like these skaters all went out there and bombed. This was, by far, the strongest ladies FS of the season. Alissa took advantage of others' slight errors and was able to win.

And by the way, how is this not a "big deal" for her? Last year she was in tears after finishing 10th at US Nationals. 11 months later, she is on top of the podium at the GPF, her first ISU Championship medal, and a gold at that. This definitely is a BIG deal for her confidence and more importantly, for her career. Let's not undermine her achievements.

geod2, Sasha'sSpins, LadyNit and 3 others like this.
  15. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Hersh is such a hypocrite. How many times has he written Czisny off in the past 6 years? Probably too many to mention. Now he's moved on to Flatt.

What a douche.

16. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Meh, as rfisher pointed out this article isn't anything we haven't seen posted here throughout the season. While I disagree with the call for retirement, I do have to somewhat agree with this point:

I don't think she put the rest of her season at risk, but I do think it was somewhat insulting to show up at one of the biggest competitions of the season as unprepared as she was. Sorry but nobody wants to see a skaters plod their way through their programs like she did. This is a sport and if you show up to a competition and skate like she did, then it isn't surprising when people call you out on it. Hersh is harsh enough without giving him more ammunition.

JMO

PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

:respec:

I love this:
    Phil, I'm sure Rachael is very sorry she ruined your enjoyment of the GPF by not performing to your expectations. :rolleyes:

Obviously Phil never had tendonitis. I have no idea if Rachael was still feeling pain, but it does tend to flare up even after it has supposedly gone away.

Was Mirai the first alternate to the GPF? Hmmm, perhaps she's Phil's new favorite (after he bashed her 2 seasons ago for finishing 5th the year after winning Nats) - he's such a transparent twat.

18. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

No, Kiira Korpi was first alternate.

19. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Ah, OK, thanks.

20. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

Yes, well, if the judges read FSU, it is no surprise that Rachel has been dumped due to all the douches on here.

Rafter and (deleted member) like this.
  21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

As recently as this past January:

22. Yukari Lepisto

Only problem I have with Flatt is that she offered her injury excuse after her dismal performances.
    If her injury was so serious and caused lack of preparation, then she did a disservice to herself and to the fans by showing up woefully unprepared and laying a two stink bombs to the figure skating community.

She should have just said I didn't perform well and take responsibility.

23. dundas

dundas Banned Member

It's crazy and stupid to suggest that Rachael performed badly on purpose. As an athlete, you always want to compete even if you don't 'feel' good.

Kostner and ALissan shouldn't have attended any international competition if we applied your standard. How many times we've seen them showing up and 'appearing' actually 'prepared'?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Theatregirl1122

Her injury was well documented before the poor performance. She was asked about it. She answered. What was she supposed to do, lie?

25. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

This is Rachael's first meltdown in...ever? I think, considering the extent of her injury and lost training time, we can give her a break. Let's see how she looks at Nationals with much more preparation and time to regroup.

26. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

Phil fancies himself to be a high school guidance counselor. Bah!

27. Yukari Lepisto

She should have said I'm not going to make any excuses. I didn't perform well.

Look at Kostner, she is injured and she had to adjust her program down to compensate.
    You don't hear her complain that if it wasn't for her injury, she would have won.

Look at Takahashi, after he collided with Kozuka, his doctors advised him to not skate. But he continued and wasn't good enough to medal. Did he complain that his injury from the collision was to blame? no.

If you show up to compete, don't use injury as a shield to deflect criticism.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  28. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

We should just have a permanent thread with this as the title. Think of the time we'd save. No need for additional posts or threads.

29. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I don't know where you got the above, nobody suggested Rachael performed badly on purpose. It was very obvious she was injured and/or recovering from injury.

Sorry but IMO there is a difference between being a headcase and/or an inconsistent skater and looking undertrained/underprepared.

As a skating fan it was hard to watch a usually consistent skater barely able to get a triple around. It really isn't that crazy or stupid to think that she might have been better off staying home, resting and getting ready for Nationals. I would say the same for any other skater not just Flatt, although I do realize this was Rachael's first time qualifying for the GPF and she probably saw this as too good an opportunity to miss.

JMO

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  30. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I don't think Hersh was very tactful (or that he knows how to be), but I agree with this statement:

If Rachael chooses to do so, she would have nothing to regret with ending her competitive career after this season and going to school. But, IMO, it has to be HER choice, not Hersh's or anyone else's.