Phil Collins forced to retire from drumming

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manleywoman, Mar 6, 2011.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Very sad to see he seems so bitter about his haters. I for one LOVED a lot of his 80's music, and I'm married to a hard-core early Genesis fan who hated Phil's 80s stuff, but can still appreciate what an amazing drummer and musician he was. Too bad Phil couldn't get recognized for that at least. :(

Phil has to quit.

Frankly I don't know why anyone would listen to Noel Gallagher of Oasis. :rolleyes: He's a tool. What has he done?

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  2. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

If it were anybody else I'd shudder but Noel has had to put up with Liam for his entire life so I tend to cut him some slack.

Too bad Phil is retiring ... I was left under the impression the article was quite poor in research, I doubt Phil Collins spends much of his time pondering about the opinions of any of the Gallaghers, it probably has a lot more to do with his age and inability to work the present day system.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What a shame: both that he needs to retire; and cannot enjoy his great career.
    I hope that time will allow him to realize that he gave great pleasure to many people through the years.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

A lot of people are successful at their profession aren't "great" by any means. In the music industry you have people like Brittney Spears, Gaga, Bier, etc., selling millions of cds, but no one except crazed fans would put them anywhere near artists like The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, etc.

5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

This is so sad. :( So much wnderful music from Phil, and now this? :eek:

6. Nan

Nan Just me

I don't get it. The is so much music in the world. Listen to what you like and enjoy it. You don't like a song, a singer, a musician, a style, a genre...move on.

7. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Now if only we could induce Madonna to quit acting :scream:

8. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I did not get that tone from the article at all. To me, it seemed to be something said lightly and off-the-cuff. Not dramatic at all.

By the way, the article said he had 13 hits. I checked wikipedia and he has had 21 top 40 hits in the US and 24 top 40 hits in the UK. And that's not counting all the music he made with Genesis.

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  9. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

In some ways, I would draw a parallel between Phil Collins and Paul McCartney. As a member of the Beatles, McCartney was brilliant, but in his solo career, he was pure light-hearted pop that at times bordered on treacle (Ebony and Ivory, anyone?). No, Genesis didn't have the same gravity after Peter Gabriel left, but they still turned out some great pop music, as did Collins during his solo career. And to me at least, it was a lot more interesting and had more depth than anything McCartney did on his own.

Maybe if Collins had been knighted, he wouldn't feel quite so bad. ;)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. manleywoman

And you have to remember what a BRILLIANT drummer Collins was. Other drummers aspired to be that good. You may not have loved all the songs, but the musicianship was top quality, which can't be said for a lot of the successful artists today.

You wouldn't put early Genesis in with those guys? I certainly would. The Peter Gabriel-era Genesis stuff was groundbreaking progressive rock.

11. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I'd no idea he hadn't retired already. :shuffle:

Just an aside, but my pet peeve lately is when people put down the current generation of musicians by claiming how much better music was in their day. :p

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

AMEN! Everything always pales in comparison. You can't compare a present day artist to a legend, it just doesn't make sense. The present day artists havent had time to garner the legendary status. Many many people thought the Beatles and Elvis were pure dreck and going to ruin music.

13. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I didn't read the article the way a lot of you did. I read it as he's somewhat disgusted with today's music scene with it's cult of celebrity and that he is somewhat embarrassed that he was a commercial success when it was really supposed to just be about the music.

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Er, um, I hate to sound like an old fart, but "back in the day" musicians didn't have Pro Tools, Garage Band on the Mac, AutoTune, etc. etc. to cover up their mistakes or their lack of skill. And it was really expensive to go into a professional-quality recording studio, so you weren't going to go in there if you couldn't play or sing really well and were going to majorly screw up. The Beatles' Sergeant Pepper album was made on a four-track tape machine; now you can get hard-drive recorders that can do up to 92 tracks. If you're only recording on four tracks, any mistakes are going to be that much obvious and that much harder to hide.

I read an interview with some of the members of Blondie where they talked about how when their record Parallel Lines was made, they had a very primitive drum machine to help with their tempo, and everything else on that record was them playing live. If you listen to that record, it's beautifully produced, and yes, it is a pop record and not tremendously "deep", but think of how difficult it would be to play that precisely. IMHO a lot of musicians today would not be able to play that well on their own without studio "help".

And I am no fan of Phil Collins' solo work, but he is one of the best drummers I have ever heard. This is his work on Brian Eno's "Sky Saw". Listen to this and tell me it's not a loss for someone who plays that amazingly to have to retire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXDrTZMVINo&feature=related

ETA: I enjoy the Gallaghers, but not for their music which makes me :scream: I like the stupidly hilarious things they say.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  15. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

One of my favorite post-PG Genesis songs - great riff, clever lyrics:

Pigeons

16. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Sad, Genesis has a special place in my family. And, it's always sad to see someone forced to stop doing something that has brought them pleasure. I hope he enjoys his time now and finds more joy in other things in life.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Genesis or Phil Collins, but it's sad when someone has to retire due to health considerations, especially since his are physical and somewhat psychological. I do recognize that he's a great musician, even if it's not to my taste. Noel Gallagher WISHES he (and his brother) had near the talent of Collins. IIRC though, the brothers Gallagher have spent a lot of their careers saying pointless, mean things about all sorts of artists with way more talent and/or success than them. I mean, when it comes to musical talent, I don't think either Noel or Liam has much to criticize. Has Liam *ever* sung anything on-pitch without having to whine his way to the note?

They're like little bullies in the school yard trying to get favor with other kids by cutting someone else down. :blah: Someone needs to point out to these brats that the truly great don't need to point it out about themselves--it's already obvious. :rolleyes: X infinity.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

One of my fave albums is Earth, Wind & Fire alum Philip Bailey's solo debut called Chinese Wall. Phil produced it, and it's wonderful. He plays drums on most of the tracks. Poor Phil, he has made so many contributions to rock and pop. I was wondering why we haven't heard from him in so long.

19. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Sorry, double post.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  20. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

So. Much. Word. :respec:

21. Civic

Civic New Member

But popular music WAS better back in my day, (i.e. the Sixties and Seventies).;)

Seriously, I realize this is just personal taste and nostalgia on my part. I also know that a lot of schlock got played on the air waves back then. However, imho, popular music schlock of the 1960s and 70s is superior to popular music schlock of today.
    Two Ray Stevens songs come to mind: "Guitarzan" and "Everything is Beautiful". Pure schlock both of them. The former is sheer nonsense, the latter saccharine treacle. But you know what? The first is amusing in a juvenile fashion and the second is a catchy tune. I'd never purchase either, but forty years after I heard them on the radio, I still remember both songs. In contrast, much of the popular music of today washes right over me without making any impression; not even a bad one.

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It was better IMO. As was already mentioned, vocal prowess and the ability to play instruments were crucial. There were always exceptions, but most folks, regardless of their musical genre, had more ability than they do today. I only need to remember last years' Grammy Awards where Stevie Nicks had to sing next to Taylor Swift, and it was quite evident to me how things had changed, and not for the better. Of course, many of today's artists do have talent, and many put it to use, but they are getting rarer.

23. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I thought one of the benefits of American Idol and shows of its ilk is that at least they will produce singers who can actually sing live without making people cringe (Katy Perry, looking at you). However, the advent of autotune has counteracted that....now ANYBODY can be made to sound reasonable with studio tricks, no matter how tone-deaf. I just heard part of Kim Kardashian's new "song"....:scream::yikes:

Phil Collins was a great drummer and had some catchy tunes. I don't know what he did to become the classic rocker to be picked on. I mean, when you're the target of a South Park episode, you had to have done SOMETHING.

24. manleywoman

THANK YOU!! Exactly.

Sure there were talented youngsters back in the day (Stevie Wonder comes to mind) as there are now talented youngsters now (Adele, John Legend, etc) but most of the kids making money now are just mildly talented singers who are very good at marketing themselves. And they have a whole lotta producers behind them making them sound good. They don't actually have to know how to play an instrument, or run a recording studio, or set up their own equipment so they can play from club to club, etc.

And actually, I never criticized today's music in my original post. I like plenty of today's music. But to find quality drummers and musicians is a tough thing. For example, I like Coldplay A LOT, but their drummer is lame. He plays the exact same rhythm for most songs. Drives me nuts.

Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree, however, :swoon:. That guy is constantly voted by magazines as one of the best drummers today. He's sick. And I bet none of you have heard of him. Shame really. Here he is playing one of their toughest songs in terms of drumming. He's amazing all the way through, but he really shows off his talents about 5:38.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  25. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Didn't he break up with wife number two, or possibly three, via fax? That's kinda....tacky. ;)

I'm not a fan of his solo stuff, but I love the Genesis song Abacab.

26. manleywoman

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:(

28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I understand that people may have been to harsh on him and his music, but he still didn't deserve that Oscar :p.

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This article has a few more quotes from the FHM magazine article that seems to be generating all the coverage:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ins-I-quit-music-but-no-one-will-miss-me.html

I've always found Phil Collins to be a bit of a whiner - always looking for attention and sympathy. I remember when Keith Moon died, he made a fuss about not being picked to replace him by The Who. If he really wants nothing to do with the music business any more, why is he giving interviews? Could it be that his most recent album is no longer on the charts, or that he's trying to stay in the news ahead of the release of his book about Texas history? Or that he just wants fans to beg him for more?

He's had a long and hugely successful career, so I can't imagine what he still wants, but it's gotta be something. I doubt this is the last we'll hear from Phil Collins.

30. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Phil is going through the physical problems, but his attitude is quite curious. Whether with early Peter Gabriel Genesis, or later Genesis or his solo work, Phil has nothing to be ashamed about. Yet, he apologizes for his success? Why is he reacting to the criticisms? He could tomorrow go on tour solo or with Genesis and sell thousands of tickets and be loved by all those fans. Yet he is embittered by critics? He should be counting his millions and laughing all the way to the bank.

BTW, IMO Phil isn't even in the top 25 great rock drummers. That doesn't mean he can't play, but his strength wasn't his playing, it was in singing and songwriting.