phantom to ultima freestyle blade

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by toothbrush, Nov 9, 2013.

1. toothbrush

toothbrush New Member

anyone done this change over? need new blades soon but the phantom specials i have are so expensive so thinking of trying the ultima freestyle, which looks similar. are they as strong - not a little lightweight skater lol
  2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I wasn't in phantoms when I switched, but I do like the freestyles. Skated in them for years until I switched to a shorter blade for dance.
  3. toothbrush

toothbrush New Member

thanks, my other option is maybe mk professional. dont need large toe pick as only doing singles now. wondering if will find sweet spot very different?
  4. treesprite

treesprite New Member

I used MK Pros for many years. Then had Wilson Coronation Ace blades which are very similar. Both are 7-foot rocker blades.
  5. J-Ro

J-Ro Member

I have used Phantoms and hated, hated the Ultima blade line. I tried out the Freestyle. The problem is that the secondary radius--the part where the profile tightens up a bit towards the toepick--starts way back in the middle of the blade. It's not really even a true curve. Not only was my center of gravity off, there was no "there" there at the ball of the foot--just where it needs to be.
  6. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Same experience, but I did not go directly from Phantoms to Ultima, I was in MK dance blades in between when dance blades were popular for synchro. Hated the Ultima freestyles, tried for about a year, but gave up.
  7. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I loved my Ultima Freestyles. Like pretty much everything involving skates, it's a personal preference.
  8. J-Ro

J-Ro Member

Although the toepick is similar, the radius of the blade is completely different. Even though the Freestyle blade is supposed to be an 8-foot radius, the real difference is that the profile of the secondary radius--where the blade curves up before the toepicks--begins further back on the blade. It is also straighter. This changes the entire center of gravity. This is what drove me nuts about the blade. I did love the toepicks, but couldn't deal with the rest of the blade. My balance was really off.

I did comment something similar before, didn't I?