phantom to ultima freestyle blade

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by toothbrush, Nov 9, 2013.

1. toothbrush

toothbrush New Member

anyone done this change over? need new blades soon but the phantom specials i have are so expensive so thinking of trying the ultima freestyle, which looks similar. are they as strong - not a little lightweight skater lol

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I wasn't in phantoms when I switched, but I do like the freestyles. Skated in them for years until I switched to a shorter blade for dance.

3. toothbrush

toothbrush New Member

thanks, my other option is maybe mk professional. dont need large toe pick as only doing singles now. wondering if will find sweet spot very different?

4. treesprite

treesprite Member

I used MK Pros for many years. Then had Wilson Coronation Ace blades which are very similar. Both are 7-foot rocker blades.

5. J-Ro

J-Ro Member

I have used Phantoms and hated, hated the Ultima blade line. I tried out the Freestyle. The problem is that the secondary radius--the part where the profile tightens up a bit towards the toepick--starts way back in the middle of the blade. It's not really even a true curve. Not only was my center of gravity off, there was no "there" there at the ball of the foot--just where it needs to be.

6. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Same experience, but I did not go directly from Phantoms to Ultima, I was in MK dance blades in between when dance blades were popular for synchro. Hated the Ultima freestyles, tried for about a year, but gave up.

7. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I loved my Ultima Freestyles. Like pretty much everything involving skates, it's a personal preference.

8. J-Ro

J-Ro Member

Although the toepick is similar, the radius of the blade is completely different. Even though the Freestyle blade is supposed to be an 8-foot radius, the real difference is that the profile of the secondary radius--where the blade curves up before the toepicks--begins further back on the blade. It is also straighter. This changes the entire center of gravity. This is what drove me nuts about the blade. I did love the toepicks, but couldn't deal with the rest of the blade. My balance was really off.

I did comment something similar before, didn't I?

9. Skatingisfun1

Skatingisfun1 New Member

I am going from super worn out & flat MK Professionals (20 years old) to Ultima Elites. My old blades were so flat, I could grind off the toe pick and use them for speed skating! My Ultima's do have a rocker. I haven't tried spinning in them. Only been in them for 2 hours.

I do like the stainless. On the roughest public ice, I can do power pulls without much effort or slipping. These blades bite into the ice, even at 1/2" hollow. And, in the toughest & roughest ice, I barely have to push to get a very fast stroke.

But, the rocker is something I've not had. For that matter, any rocker. I spun great on my old blades, but can barely do a three turn on these. I haven't tried spinning. I am putting my troubles to actually having a rocker. Again, I had none.

The blades have a 30 day money back guarantee. So, I am trying them out.

J-Ro likes this.
  10. J-Ro

J-Ro Member

I did the 30 day money back guarantee. I also tried out the Supreme model, which was supposed to be like the Gold Seals I had been using. I thought I could get a Gold Seal on the cheap, but no. Again, only the toepick looks like a Gold Seal. Everything else threw me off in the same way that the Freestyle threw me off. I then coughed up the money for another pair of Gold Seals. (I'm back to Pattern 99, though. I oscillate between Gold Seal and Pattern 99.)

11. Skatingisfun1

Skatingisfun1 New Member

Update on my Ultima blade progress. In 4 days on the ice, I can do three turns, forward spins, sit spins, salchow jumps, power pulls, power threes, back spin, toe loops, and waltz jumps. My impediment has been issues breaking in my new boots. I am learning how to use this new blade on backwards, but I think I should have that retrained in my mind in a week or so. I want to scratch the toe, so I have to bend my knee. Especially on the 5 step mohawk sequence and backwards cross and pulls. Still can't do a t-stop in them. LOL.

The waltz jump landing just bit into the ice. When the blade bites, it feels so much more secure then my old, worn out blades, that it seems impossible to fall on them (but, of course, that is possible).