Phaneuf Out of Grand Prix (Back Injury)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kwanfan1818, Jul 11, 2012.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

2. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

How sad! Wish her quick recovery. Now the door is more wide-open for Osmond and Lacoste.

3. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Her body looks amazing in that picture.

4. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

What a pity! Why are my favourite ladies so unlucky? :( Hope she recovers quickly.

5. fsfan22

fsfan22 New Member

I wonder if the injury is why she was not selected for Skate Canada Int'l this year, or if that was determined prior to the federation's knowledge of it?

6. fan

fan Well-Known Member

she hasn't been on the ice this summer - likely recovering

7. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

What if she wins Canadians - she doesn't have the new min tech score for worlds does she?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She'll have to compete at some January/February/early March international competition.

Edit: Totally forgot about 4CC. That would do. :p

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  9. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Does she have the minimum score for 4CC?

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here's the original RDS.ca (Le Réseau des sports) source link (July 10) that mentions "une fracture de stress au dos" (stress fracture in her back): http://www.rds.ca/amateurs/chroniques/343611.html

Yes, Phaneuf fulfilled the required minimum 4CC TES scores at 2012 4CC.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

12. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

That's really too bad. I wonder if she had issues last winter, which may have hampered her competitive results...?

13. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

How could she be out of the GP when she wasn't assigned to any event in the firs place ?? :rolleyes: Yeah I know about the TBA host spot but honestly if SC didn't give her that one right away is for a reason..:shuffle:

Anyways, she can still make the 4CC team and get the World Minimun score tehre.

14. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

This was my question. :p

Seriously though, I hope Cynthia recovers completely and can return to the ice healthy.

15. fan

fan Well-Known Member

who is next on the ladies' alternate list?

16. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^^ If SC were following the result of Nats, Osmond is the next in line. But as others pointed out, she wasn't listed in the entry for GP so, there's really no alternate, I guess?

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It depends on how the GP rules are interpreted: if the top 24 with one get a second in ranked order, then it would pass/be declined by Czisny, and then go to the next eligible on the list, until they all got a second, and then there would be a choice of the top 5 from the top 5 75ers who met the maximum. If it's strictly the top 5, then the fed had the choice of a handful of skaters, and even the top 24 can be chosen out of rank .

All of this is moot unless SC throws its TBA back into the pool. They can assign anyone they want to the TBA host spot, and the earliest Phaneuf could have gotten an alternates spot in one of the other five GPs would have been if there were 11 or so openings.

18. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

What a shame. I'm interested to see how she fares with Orser, and she hasn't had that much time with him yet.

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Osmond is already assigned to Skate Canada and is next senior in line after Phaneuf on the SB list for the general alternates list.

20. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Damn!!

And I thought she looked so good on CSOI too.

A speedy recovery to Cynthia!!

21. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

What about Charbonneau?? She was promising two seasons ago but if we focus only in last year's results then the TBA should clearly go to Najarro.

22. bibi

bibi Member

http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/
    Looks like Myriane Samson is back competing! She will also participate at the Quebec summer championships. She probably wants this TBA spot !

23. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Hope Cynthia recovers completely from this. She was @ Liberty last summer, so I guess she won't be there next week. :eek: Wishing her all the best! :)

24. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

There has been so little news on Samson that when I passed her in the halls at an event last fall I almost tackled her. After composing myself I asked her about her plans. At that time she said she had a slight chance to come back for 2012 nationals but was very very clear she was coming back to competition.

Not a lot of love for her out there, but I'm sorry, in the last few years she was the only Canadian doing more than 4 triples in an LP, doing it at 2011 Canadian nats under extreme pressure and I think it was 2010 4CC where she did six if memory serves.

She needs some upbeat programs and to skate with confidence; otherwise she's lovely to watch on the ice and CAN skate with speed if her programs and coaching dictate. Totally not out of the mix...although my money's on Osmond to keep her momentum going.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

bibi (post #22 above) is referencing Myriane Samson's return to competition in Lake Placid, NY two weekends ago. She competed in the SP only there, and I heard from someone at the comp. that her skating looked good - she landed the 3Lo, though not in combination, 2A and 3S.
    Quebec dates are August 9-12 - competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84094

Kate Charbonneau had a higher ISU season best total score at her first JGP in Poland (128.66) than Alexandra Najarro did at 4CC (117.11), though Najarro was 4th to Charbonneau's 6th at Canadians. Charbonneau debuted two new programs (choreographed by Tom Dickson?) at Broadmoor Open last month that I enjoyed watching. She seemed to be focusing on her choreo/performance/expression rather than her jumps (mostly planned doubles in her FS). Hopefully she's in the mix for a Senior B at least.

ETA that Adriana DeSanctis and Alexandra Najarro are now on the entries list for Thornhill (August 16-19) - competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84193

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  26. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Sigh.
    I wish I could be upset by this news but I'm just not. Personally I think Cynthia is done in competetitive figure skating. If she isn't skating with an injury or recovering from one she simply can't compete at the same level technically as even the top ten women in the world.
    Personally I would rather Skate Canada concentrate on getting behind some of the up and coming girls I saw at nationals. Brian Orser as her coach was great news but at this point for me it is hard to have faith in Cynthia. I feel for her and think it is terrible news but what can I say I'm not surprised.

27. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

I feel the same, I cannot imagine a stress fracture in your back, yikes that would impede you doing much at all, so hard for someone so young and active.
    I hope that she heals and is able to make the best decision for herself in regards to her skating
    She is such a lovely skater to watch- I will miss her in the season!!

28. icellist

icellist Member

I found her captivating. Before her injury, she had the biggest variety of jumps of the Canadian ladies (not counting Joannie). Her double three into 3F is astounding, esp since you mostly see the double three for a salchow or a loop. There's no setup for the flip! The edges she gets in her choreography is great. I don't understand how Phaneuf gets high transition marks with her crossover in comparison to Samson's.

As of this point, I think SC should send Osmond, Lacoste and Samson to 4CC. Phaneuf just disappointed too many times and you HAVE to rest a stress fracture in your back. That must hurt a lot! I hope she fully recovers.