Performances That Received a Standing Ovation Long Before they End

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by walei, Feb 20, 2013.

1. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

2. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Oh what a thrill. I had never seen a video of them competing live. Thank you so much for the link.

3. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2010 Nationals :swoon:

4. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

I was there too. One of the best nights of skating I've ever seen :)

5. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Man this thread is bringing back a lot of good memories. Thanks, guys!

6. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Favourite ones that I saw live-(and neither skater was a home country skater)

Kevin Van der Perrin in Mississauga 2003 (Free skate). He had been 11th in the short and off the radar. His Robin Hood free skate (3rd place in the FP) was wonderful, and he landed everything he needed to and won over the crowd.

(This next one is obscure- I doubt there's a video of it)

4ccs in Hamilton 2004. Miguel Angelo Moyron from Mexico. He had barely finished the short- ending at least 15 seconds after the music and landing nothing of note- I think he was last or second last). In the free he came out and did everything he could (Sals and Toes, I think- I don't remember if he even had a loop) and skated with passion and enjoyment- at least half the audience stood up for him. He managed to move up to 17th and was thrilled.

That's why I love figure skating.

7. sadya

sadya Active Member

Very nice post, cygnus. :) This is why I love figure skating too. I love the programs where people do excellent jumps or even achieve new results, but I also love the people who don't necessarily have all the jumps, yet give everything they have in that program with great artistry and even though they have no chance to medal, still skate for the joy of skating.

8. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Hamilton -- the Mexican skaters!!!! YES! I think I was there and part of the group who gave him a standing O and cheering madly for the rest of the team.

9. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

winter is my fave mens short program
    LOVE!!!

10. skaterboi

skaterboi New Member

I was there and it was truly amazing. I always wished I could see Michelle Kwan have, or in her case, have another "skate of a lifetime". Had the opportunity to meet her the summer prior and asked if we would see her in Atlanta. She told me she hadn't decided. Sure enough she was back to compete, I was there to see her, and she had another skate of a lifetime. And yes, the whole arena was on their feet at least 30 seconds before she even finished. We were crying, she was crying, it seemed like everyone was crying. A moment I'll cherish and never forget. Thanks Michelle!

11. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Oh, yes, I remember the Mexican skaters in Hamilton. They didn't spin so much as hop in a circle, but they had such a love of skating. They got SOs just for showing up and being so happy.

12. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

My favorite will always be the standing ovation LONG before Mishkutenok & Dmitriev finished 'Liebestraum' at the 1991 Worlds :swoon: IMHO the greatest pairs performance of all time

14. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

^Just watched it. Breathtaking!

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yes ! Just watched it too ! It seems Artur can't hear the end of the music and didn't know when to stop, lol !

16. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I would have loved to have seen this live. 'Liebestraum' is one of my all time favorite pieces of music.

17. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

This skate by Elvis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87lYOEagVg. His "comeback" skate at 2001 Skate Canada in Saskatoon, after battling injuries for a few seasons. I was there live, and the arena was electric. Standing O when he took the ice, then you could hear a pin drop as he started the program. The crowd went bananas every time he landed a jump. He had a fabulous skate, and the standing O started again while he was in his final spin. I was near tears the entire time; Elvis was my favorite skater growing up, and this was my first time seeing him compete live. Amazing moment!

18. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

Omg this puts me in yet another M&D nostalgia mood. I adored them, they were AMAZING, and watching their youtube videos still gives me the chills. I think they never got their due as a pair because of their unhappy off-ice relationship, and later on Artur wanted to promote his new partnership with Oksana Kazakova. But I loved them.

19. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Most of these programs did not receive a standing ovation long before they ended. :shuffle:

20. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Party pooper. :p

21. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I was going to make a comment that people are just stealth posting performances they enjoy and maybe I should make another thread that reads "Performances That Received a Standing Ovation LOOOOOOONG Before they End WITH VIDEO EVIDENCE" but oh well...

22. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^LOL why don't we make it a little more flexible, and include performances where... I don't know... the crowd are clearly involved during it? Or something? :lol:

In this spirit, I just re-watched Yuka Sato's winning LP at the 94 worlds, and whilst her ovation isn't LOOONG before the end, there's alot of audience support right from the word go. And funnily enough, a similar thing happened during her Lillehammer LP. Both great performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZD_N4FY3B0 Worlds

23. Vagabond

You mean like where the skater spends five seconds getting up after wiping out during a crossover, and the audience applauds in encouragement? :p

24. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^Don't pretend you don't love this :p

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

26. Vagabond

I did until I watched the Stojko video. :fragile:

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

28. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

29. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Only appropriate I add D/W's 2009 Worlds FD. :) I've always felt this performance should have the Free Dance portion outright that day.

http://youtu.be/68OsUDopjyQ

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks for linking to that article! How amazing and what a story re Orser suggesting that Barb try going back to her old skates. Wow, what a great teammate. :) Before it's all over, Orser will likely share in even more figure skating lore, but maybe none will top that one. ;)