Performances That Received a Standing Ovation Long Before they End

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by walei, Feb 20, 2013.

1. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

The performance was even more amazing by her having sprained her ankle earlier. It was doubtful that she would be able to skate.

Somehow, other than Beijing, it seemed like a perfect place for Shen & Zhao's wonderful 2003 performances.[/QUOTE]

2. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  3. figuristka

figuristka New Member

I was sitting just one section over. What a great night it was with Shawn and Patrick.

4. Ares

Ares Guest

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Bezic truly knew how to pick excellent music for Lipinski's programs. I wasn't too keen on her Anastasia SP, but Lipinski's charisma could really sell anything. I wish more skaters would skate with the grit and conviction that Lipinski almost always had.

6. stevlin

stevlin Member

What about Jeffrey Buttle with his World Championships 2008 lp "Aarat"? That program was so awesome. Jeff did everything right. So artistic he is.

7. invierno

invierno Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ I guess Midori might have won gold there under IJS, and without figures* as part of the competition -- or at least bronze since she did need more polishing artistically. She came into her own the following year. :) I love Midori Ito!

(* I do think figures should never have been completely eliminated as part of basic training for skaters).

10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

11. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. I was there for that, too. On my feet and screaming my head off as I ran to the boards to throw Jeff a tiny stuffie.

13. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  14. browning

browning New Member

Watching this makes me miss the cd component part of the dance and wonder how much better v/ m would had got at the cd, I think they may have developed into one of, if not the best cd dance team; their line, unmatched unison, precision and natural elegance on display

15. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

that was a fabulous program- i was on my feet too!!!

16. sadya

sadya Active Member

Jeffrey Buttle also received standing ovation for his 2007 Canadian nationals performance, people began before he ended his program and even applauded the scores he received. It's still my favourite performance of that program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxKtZsNIa_g

17. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Not only for that reason, but if people in front of you stand up, you have to do it as well, cause otherwise you won’t be able to see much of that performance. ;)

This is my favourite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvBSI97Vuw8 , Irina Slutskaya’s LP at Worlds in 2005 :cheer2:

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  18. lala

lala Well-Known Member

19. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sarah Hughes' LP in Salt Lake City. The crowd began to stand like 20 seconds before her program even ended.

20. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts New Member

Elladje Balde's free skate at the 2012 Canadian Nationals...cannot find it on youtube......a great moment for him and for those of us watching!

21. mikemba

mikemba Active Member

I was fortunate enough to be in the arena for several of the performances mentioned above, but the one that stands out - by far - is Shen and Zhao's 2003 Worlds LP. The thing that made their standing ovation unique was that we in the audience never sat down afterwards: we not only remained standing for their marks, they were the final pair and we continued to stand throughout the ceremony! We were simply to excited to sit! I was never in the audience for another performance in which the audience remained standing for the skaters' marks, and I have never seen it on TV, either. (It was cute, too, that Shen and Zhao were so polite that they never sat to receive their marks -- since we remained standing they did too.)

22. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Perhaps they all stood just to check the ice tracings :shuffle:

24. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

^ :eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:respec:

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish we had a recording of that; and the medal ceremony which followed.
    It must have been something to see.

26. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Sarah Hughes in 2002 at the SLC Olympics - even the music was drowned out. She said later could not even hear her own music by the end.

27. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

You had to burst my bubble! :)

28. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Yagudin's Winter at Nagano Worlds 2002. I always find it both moving and amusing.
    The fact that it's post- Olympics and in Japan combine. It's not even that there's standing ovation before it's over- not so much- as a total pandemonium afterwards. Half of the audience is running to the ice.
    http://youtu.be/qyjX2N18EF8

29. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

Michelle Kwan, East of Eden, 1998 World Pros.

Don't know if the crowd was standing or not,
    but the crowd erupted into the loudest roar I've ever heard 30 seconds before the program was done.

Caroline Zhang 2008 Nationals LP, Ave Marie. Standing ovation started before she finished.
    BTW, If Zhang keeps skating till she's 30 or so, she'll probably own the world record for standing ovations.

Kwan 1998 Nationals LP. Standing ovation for like the final 25% of her program. Unbelievable.

30. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

The crowd was so loud at the end of this performance that Michelle had to perform her final move twice to finish with the music--compare the ending to the ending at Nationals or other performances of this program.