People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive is...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Twizzler, Nov 16, 2011.

1. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Lord, that show was full of hotness and even Victor Garber is a handsome guy! Mmmmm..... :swoon:

I saw Access Hollywood earlier tonight and apparently it was REALLY close between the two of them. Ryan has his own page in the magazine because it was such a close vote. :)

Allow me to cast my sexiest man vote towards my fave baseball player (and Canadian hottie), Cincinnati Red Joey Votto. :swoon:

2. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I wish for a spoon also, please. :grope:

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Gotta love their "Sexy at Any Age", they have one guy for each of the years between 21 and 40 but then there's a big gap to 45 and another to get to George Clooney. :lol: I give them points for picking Jeremy Renner (40) though.

4. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Bradley Cooper's gorgeous (especially when speaking French), but it'd be nice to have some diversity. But, I guess it is representative of the lack of diversity that still exists in Hollywood.

5. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Count me in as one who likes Ryan Gosling, too.

6. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

7. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Apparently they offer the title to a people, but some turn it down - apparently Leonardo DiCaprio has turned it down in the past. Also - they have never had two non-Americans in a row, so many are saying THAT'S why Ryan Gosling (raised in Cornwall, Ontario) didn't get it this year - Ryan Reynolds (from Vancouver) was SMA last year.

Though, Bradley has a bigger box-office $$ than Ryan Gosling, which plays a factor, though Ryan is more of a recognized name.

Also, Ryan is 'young' to be named - he's just turned 31 (the average age of the SMA is 39) - the only ones ever named at that age (or younger) were:
    Mel Gibson at 29 in 1985
    JFK Jr at 27 in 1988
    Tom Cruise at 28 in 1990
    Brad Pitt at 31 in 1995
    Ben Affleck at 31 in 2002
    Jude Law at 30 in 2004 (Source)

And they were all insanely huge at those times (I think that Jude's was the year he was in about 47 movies). Ryan may be big but he's not at the level of say Brad in 1995.

There has been a lot of uproar over Bradley being picked over Ryan - most people aren't even considering anyone else - to most it should have been Ryan and nobody else. Though for all we know, he could have turned it down a la Leo.

TygerLily and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Stephane Lambiel :swoon:

Nothing says it has to be an actor.

ChelleC and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

10. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I'd like to spoon... :shuffle:

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Chris Hemsworth aka Thor is lovely.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Bradley Cooper looks too much like my brother. Not saying I don't have a handsome brother, but it's just like, no. :lol:

Michael Vartan, OTOH, yes!

O-

13. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I support this decision by People. :swoon: :grope:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

I just realized that they didn't include Michael Fassbender at all, which is crazy. Insanely hot, and he's in the middle of a really big year (summer super-hero movie, the Jane Eyre movie, the new Cronenberg with Viggo and Keira Knightly, and supposedly a legitimate Oscar contender for Shame.)

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. screech

People listed online aren't always in the magazine, and people in the magazine aren't always online. I'm sometimes a bit confused too - like last year they didn't include Alexander Skarsgard (though he was there the year before, and is back this year - online at least), and he was starting to become more well known at that point.

16. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

17. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

:lol:

Another predictable and (for the most part) zzzzzz list from People.

I've always been a bit meh about Bradley Cooper (I always thought he looked a bit like a rodent) but for me he is preferable to Ryan Gosling. I find Ryan to be one of those men who are attractive in a generic sort of way along with Ryan Reynolds and Ben Afleck. Nothing head turning.

ITA with Idris Elba and Jason Momoa. Also, if People is going to keep recycling the same list of usual suspects they should reuse Hugh Jackman. Both Tim Daly and Shemar Moore are still pretty sexy.

18. Civic

Civic New Member

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ugh the nose! The huge nose!

He's hideous. :blah:

I'm also surprised that Fassbender wasn't included.

20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'd totally have picked Momoa...what a creamy-lookin' fella!!! :swoon:
    I'm gettin' old and crotchety, so I don't get the big deal about Cooper.

21. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

Word. He and Richard Armitage wuzrobbed.

22. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

Richard Armitage! :swoon: I watch the last scene of North & South every time I need a dose of the warm fuzzies :swoon:

23. screech

Had to add - My pick, Alex Skarsgard was listed as their age 35 (in sexy at any age) online, but not in the magazine (Sam Worthington is in the magazine instead).

Personally, I think it's getting to the point where an online poll should be done to determine the pick (Twilight actors should be excluded). Though I guess that wouldn't work, if a celeb decides to turn down the title, a la Leo, but at least there'd be less reader 'uproar'.

I have to say though, I wouldn't have picked Bradley Cooper, but I do have to feel bad for the guy with all the negativity that's coming because of him being chosen.

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Welcome to Earth. Let me know when you want me to take you to our leader.

:p

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

LOL @ Peter I remember seeing Cooper in The Hangover and thinking he is too good looking for the role as one in a group of average joes.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

I remember being completely shocked that the hot guy from The Hangover was the same guy that was in Wedding Crashers. Didn't even look like the same person. What a difference slightly longer hair made on him. :swoon:

27. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Johnny Depp has been SMA more than once and he's part Native American which makes him technically not entirely white. I think he's nice looking,don't really look at him as "hot" because he looks too much like some members of my family(mixed Native and White),so it'd feel kinda weird.lol But I do think that man is a genius.

Yes he is

I am quite surprised Michael Fassbender isn't on the list either.That man is so,so goodlooking.I'd seen him in 300,then I saw him in Jane Eyre this year...something so..there's just something about him that is sexy.I bought X-men First Class mostly because I love Xmen but also because it has Michael Fassbender in it.:D And I've heard his performance in Shame is really excellent.

I am very surprised Gerard Butler only got a nod.My gosh that man is one of the most eligible bachelors on Hollywood and thus far loved by women and hated by men.And he has had a really great movie come out this year although it's only getting limited showings in the US,it's already getting Oscar buzz. ( Machine Gun Preacher)

I'm also a fan of Benjamin Bratt's looks.

I am not a fan of Bradley Cooper's looks...Ryan Gosling is alright.

28. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

I prefer Cillian Murphy. Eric Bana would've been nice.

29. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I think Fassbender is a very good actor, but I always thought he was too skinny to be "it" material. That said, he's been in 999 big movies in the past year and quite a few people here think he's attractive, so you'd think he could have gotten more attention at the very least.

30. screech

According to Lainey Gossip, Bradley was not the first choice this year. She never went on to explain who they wanted this year, but I've been trying to think of people who have had big box offices/success recently who might have turned it down:

- Christian Bale (not American though, so likely not him as they've never done 2 non-Americans in a row)
    - Robert Pattinson (I could see him not wanting it, but I doubt his 'people' would let him turn it down)
    - Leonardo DiCaprio (has turned it down apparently in the past)
    - Joseph Gordon Levitt has had 2 big years but I don't think he's 'name' enough for it
    - Mark Wahlberg?
    - Robert Downey Jr (though I couldn't see him turning it down, because with his sense of humor he'd have a field day with it)
    - Daniel Radcliffe (The #1 movie of the year so far is Harry Potter - I could see him turning it down, but I think he's too young to be considered)
    -Shia LaBeouf (Transformers is the #2 movie of the year, but I think he's considered a bit too 'douchey' to be considered)
    - Vin Diesel. Stay with me. An online poll thing earlier this year had him picked as the sexiest, and Fast Five is the 5th highest grossing movie of the year so far. I personally don't find him attractive, and I also doubt he'd have turned it down - his career has been in the crapper lately.
    - James Franco - Oscar nomination, 9th highest grossing movie (Planet of the Apes), and he could have turned it down because he only wants to really be seen as a 'serious actor'

To be fair to Bradley, Hangover 2 is the 3rd highest grossing movie of the year so far, and box office plays a big role in picking the SMA - they want someone that people might recognize.