Pechalat/Bourzat move to Shpilband

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by morqet, May 20, 2013.

1. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

So what is Igor's team count at? Didn't Lynn and Logan move there too earlier this year?

2. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Well, since I'm a W/P fan, I hope you're correct that they are emotionally involved in their career.

Poor P/B. In addition to injuries, and agonizingly close decisions due to just enough errors to cause problems, they have all the coaching drama on top of that. First they have a great coach in Zhulin, who is instructed to dump them (I think that's what I recall hearing; perhaps that's not correct), then IMO they have a great coaching team in Camerlengo/Krylova, but P/B are instructed to dump them. P/B are putting a brave face on the new situation, and I think it will work well for them, but they really have been through the emotional wringer over the past three seasons.

3. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

With W&P though they were just coming back from Kaitlyn's injury just as P&B were still dealing with Fabian's injury.

I do think that C&L have improved but with them I feel as if they have improved in smaller increments. When you compare C&L to their past selves then yes the difference is there but IMO comparing them to some of the other teams including an improved B&S, I still am not seeing Anna and Luca as a team who will be one of the top teams post Sochi. I think they could/will compete for medals but not the very top spot. Not even at Europeans.

Of course they could prove me wrong. I really like this team so I hope to see them have a similar career path to that of D&L starting with the 05/06 season. That one season when they come in looking like a different team.

I realize in icedance everything is a big if but there are a few teams who if those teams live up to their potential, at least on paper could pass C&L. B&S, W&P and even I&K.

Anyway, back on topic. For the first time since Worlds, I'm feeling really positive about P&B's Olympic season. I get why Pasquale would feel unhappy but again it was the French federation and not P&B who made the decision. Without Didier & co stepping in, I would think that Nathalie and Fabian would still be training with Angelika and Pasqaule. No matter who's decision it was, in the end I think the move to Igor is a smart move. Especially if P&B want to hold onto their shot at being on the podium in Sochi.

4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Their bio has always listed Igor as their choreographer, & Igor did Chock & Zuerlein's Caberet FD, so I would be very surprised if Marina was the main person behind C&B's choreo this year.

5. dcnative

dcnative New Member

One of the best programs I have ever seen. Yes he did.

6. DORISPULASKI

7. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

:rofl:

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Yes, Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt and Chock/Bates are Shpilband's full-time U.S. teams, along with Tobias/Stagniunas (LTU), Plutowska/Gerber (POL) and now Pechalat/Bourzat (FRA). (It's a good thing 2014 U.S. Nationals is a week earlier than 2014 Europeans! :D) Yura Min/Tim Koleto (he's new to ice dance) are a new team that hopes to represent Korea in the future.

Teams at 2013 Worlds that Shpilband was affiliated with included Cappellini/Lanotte (ITA) with Paolo Mezzadri, Riazanova/Tkachenko (RUS) with Alexei Gorshkov, Carron/Jones (FRA) with Marika Humphreys-Baranov, Heekin-Canedy/Dun (UKR) with Galit Chait and Gorshkov, Guignard/Fabbri (ITA) with Barbara Fusar-Poli, the Reeds (JPN) with Chait. Did I miss anyone?

9. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

*Sigh* for what might have been with those two. I'm pretty sure Coates was (and remains) a technician, so I'd be surprised if the choreo were hers.

10. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Kolbe/Caruso, as they are coached by Barbara Fusar Poli too :)

11. Sylvia

Thank you! Though Caruso is unlikely to gain German citizenship for Sochi, I assume?

ETA: I see that Shpilband is listed on their web site with Skotnicky and Lohse (but not in their ISU bio maybe because they weren't at Worlds): http://www.kolbecaruso.com/the-team.html

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  12. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

AFAIK there's a chance he could get it.

13. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia and pingu. Are there any pairs or singles in the mix?

Ice dance will get interesting this season. :) I'm glad to see teams flocking to Igor. This is quite the 180 from last year when the guy didn't even know if he was going to have a rink. He is probably laughing all the way to the bank these days. :lol:

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised that Igor has landed on his feet the way he has. He is the main reason why the US has become a power in Ice Dancing and unless he got fired for some horrible reason other then Marina and him not getting along you knew top teams would soon come back to him.

15. Sylvia

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  16. DORISPULASKI

I can only hope :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I am hoping that this move for P/B brings them what they want and provides them with what they need. Staying healthy all season would also be a good thing for them. Wishing them nothing but the best.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

One can dream.

Shpilband isn't choreographing their programs, though. I guess the fear is that he's going to simplify them a lot. But at the end of the day, it might be necessary for them to deliver on the elements and show a lot of speed.

Or in singles and pairs. :mad:

Kostner and Chan get the credit for the skating skills, IMO. The judges in general do not seem to care at all about the transitions (the problem might be, there's far too much for a single judge to process - TES and PCS judging should definitely get split).

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  19. sequins

sequins Active Member

I agree, I think they needed a change. I just don't think it was working for them. Despite winning the bronze at Worlds last year their programs haven't been all that well received lately and IMO aren't up to their potential. They are capable of so much more. I love them and I hope this season brings them nothing but joy and success.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I also had a feeling that Krylova/Camerlengo were more invested emotionally in Weaver/Poje and that they were their number 1 team (of course I might be wrong, this was just a hunch).

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  21. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Look what Igor's done with C/B I mean were they that great with their previous partners ?They have risen in the ranks pretty quick.
    P/B are an accomplished team already so I'm hoping their technical will improve and they have more interesting dances .
    Wasn't there rumours their FD is to Little Prince ?

22. DORISPULASKI

I had heard that. I don't know whether it's true.

23. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

doppio axel wrote about it on its facebook page, but it was stated that they were just rumours

24. littleponyjoe

littleponyjoe New Member

^^This !! Couldn't say it better

25. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

Camerlengo can find (a little tiny bit of) comfort. He's not the coach the most badly treated by Gailhaguet. That would be Didier Lucine. Gailhaguet is trying to "steal" all his girls and make them move to Bercy.
    He succeeded in cutting money from the Annecy center and some functional ease they had because Lucine "lacked results" (in case anyone wondered why Anaïs Ventard wasn't sent at Euros or Worlds because at national level, he won plenty) to force the girls to leave and do whatever he says.
    That may not be conforting much but at least Gailhaguet did not destroyed the last 6-7 years of Camerlengo's work like he's trying to do elsewhere.

About Péchalat / Bourzat, their move will be for 8-9 months. Let's hope things click quickly with Shpilband.

26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

As per this FB update, their music will be revealed on TV later today.

27. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

This!

I sure hope so. I doubt that igor will shake up their world and throw too much at them because the types of changes that would DRASTICALLY change their skating take time. I do hope however that this change is the right one for them

28. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I didn't see the TV segment, but looking at reactions on Twitter, it appears that their FD is indeed to The Little Prince. No idea what they're doing for the SD.

29. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

They didn't tell, they just talk about the little Prince

30. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member