Pechalat/Bourzat move to Shpilband

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by morqet, May 20, 2013.

1. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I didn't think Camerlengo did their programs? I think they get their programs done by their usual choregraphers in France and then train them with Krylova?

Will be interesting to see if Igor lets them keep the programs they already have made or will he get them to switch like he did with C&L. If I recall correctly Igor isn't comfortable working on programs others have made because he doesn't have their vision.

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Many of P/B's programs were done by outside choreographers rather than their coaches, and their ISU biography lists Ilia Ifraimov and Kader Belmoktar as last season's SD and FD choreographers, respectively - so don't blame or credit Krylova and Camerlengo. Their programs for next season were put together with Laurie May and Julien Cottereau. They've worked with May for years, and Cottereau (a clown) was involved in choreographing Circus and Chaplin.

Camerlengo's work with Takahashi is indeed fantastic.

3. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Well, the French fed encouraged the move but P/B agreed to go and AFAIK nothing was forced upon them.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
    Asli and (deleted member) like this.
  4. tut88

tut88 Member

French federation is playing politics again !
    Not a surprise !

5. analia

analia Active Member

What makes Igor so powerful politically? I wonder. Maybe he (and Morozov) hang out in hotel bars more than most?

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Most federations, at least the bigger ones, politik - so indeed, that a federation would involve itself in such a thing is not a surprise. The FFSG is useless at (effective) politikking, however. If anything, I would characterize this move as outsourcing; clearly Shpilband can do a better job of it.

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Before the split from Marina, Igor was a co-coach of the top two teams in the world. That alone should give him some power. It seems other teams have started acknowledging that he had something to do (technically and otherwise) with the success of those two teams. Once D&S and V&M retire, Igor could be in a very good position when it comes to winning gold medals.

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

:lol:

9. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

He coaches a nice selection of teams from a number of different federations. If one federation likes what he does for their team they might appreciate more the same thing he does for another team in a different federation. He´ll have friends all over the map. In contrast, for example, Marina has one Canadian team and two Americans and their federations are in theory unwilling to work together because they have the same goal. I think Morozov is similar to Igor in that he has a bit of diversity in his stable as well (although I think he had a lot more diversity a few years back which might in part explain why his group are not as successful. I also suspect Igor is a lot more professional and stable than Morozov)

10. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Marina's got a piece of Gracie Gold :rofl: so she's expanding her conquest of North America, too.

11. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

And (like it or not) Igor and Marina changed the face of dance and are considered by most federations the best technicians out there.

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  12. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

(^^Emphasis = mine) Céline Nony, who wrote the article, does care about skating. I mean, as far as a French journalist can :lol: IMHO L'Equipe isn't that bad at all. Whether it's the paper or online version doesn't make a difference since most of the writers are the same. It's main flaw is the de facto monopoly it has over sport news since it's the only daily sport paper in the entire country. But I agree skating is hardly their main concern. It comes from the fact skating isn't popular in France at all. L'Equipe sells what's its readers want to read. It doesn't make it a bad paper all in all ;)

13. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

It really mustn't be popular... at this point I receive more visitors from Finland on the site than from France (and no, they're not looking for Kiira Korpi)... IIRC usually the cringe worthy articles from France are from smaller newspapers.

As to P/B, even if Krylova and Camerlengo didn't do their choreographies, they didn't bring out the best in them either, they seemed to have lost something when they moved to the US... I hope this move gives them what they need to have a successful season.

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

It is weird to see so many people with favorable opinions about Igor. :) Times have certainly changed.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

They won their only world medal under Krylova and Camerlengo.

16. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Interview with Nathalie in l'Equipe :
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-artistique/Actualites/Pechalat-waouh-le-mec/372527

Rapid translation :
    The change of coach less than one year before OG :
    Didier G came to Detroit last week, met with Pasquale and with Igor, and brought us his conclusions about the one that could help us most, that seemed the most concerned. Working with Igor is Didier's idea, but it's a good one.

Meeting with Igor
    Last week. His political power is talked about, but most of all he is a super technician. There are 8 months left before OG, it's now that we have to learn new things. We want to give ourselves all the chances.

Reactions of former coaches.
    Anjelika thought it would be better for us to stay, but wished us the best. Pasquale was very mean. I know him for 13 years, and he reacted very badly. I can understand that he is very upset, but that's the game. Not easy to say goodbye, but we have to thinkg about our career.

What Igor will bring
    When talking with him, we felt motivaton. He wanted to hear the musics of our new programs, to know with whom we had created them in France.... Some very specific points like had we send the music of the SD to judges to know if it is ok for the rythmn. He introduced us to people he works with, we started to work with an acrobat.
    DG told us 'do what Igor say, follow his strategy'. We already started to change the diagonal step seq and improved spins with his wife. With him, we have all the tools, he is very efficient.

Other teams on ice
    Not that many actually. Around 5 each day incl.Chock/Bates and Riazanova/Tkachenko. Cappellini/Lanoote and Carron/Jones come for training periods.

17. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

The reason Nathalie is upset is Pasquale's reaction.

Her exact words are : "Pasquale was very hurtful. I've known him since I was 13 y.o. [he was one of her coaches in Lyon] and I took it very badly."

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Seriously? They always have very different and creative programs.

That is until now. Bye bye interesting P&B :( :( :(

19. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

WOW WOW WOW... I think this is a great move for them. I am smiling from ear to ear!

I hope that Igor enties Fabian to show better facial expression. I am sure that he will add the crisp cleanliness in their technique that they need. I just hope that there's enough time to make the necessary improvements.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

It's the Olympic season. Delobel and Schoenfelder are the poster children for being interesting and leaving without a medal. This won't guarantee P/B one, with the Olympics in Sochi and B/S the reigning bronze medalists, but it ups the odds.

21. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, and as you can see I had completely forgotten about it! :lol: I don't think that had much to do with the coaches but more with them finally not effing it.

I'm kind of surprised they weren't doing some of these things with their previous coaches!

You know, Fabian will never be the most expressive guy on the ice, it's just the way he is, but there's a lot that is lost on tv so depending on whether you've seen hm person or not, maybe is he is not has bad as you think.

22. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Yes, seriously, that is my opinion. I thought they were more avant garde earlier in their careers. I don't think they've done anything "different or creative" since their Time FD and even that they gave up on. On the other hand I think they are one of the better teams in the world and true ice dancers.

As far as Pascale being hurtful at the split it's maybe not surprising considering what Didier had to say. When Didier went to speak with him it must have been hostile to start with having been called a worm ;)

23. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

But they would have left with a medal had it not been for their lack of training time together.

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

They lost training time in 2006 when they lost bronze to one of the weakest teams to medal at the Olympics?

25. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Isabel had a baby like 7or 8 months before the Olympics as i recall?

26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Less than 5 months before the compulsory dances started, actually. Baby was born Oct 1st and compulsories started Feb 19th. Still :eek: she managed to get back into competitive shape that quickly, but the lost training time & lack of mileage on their programs definitely hurt them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_2010_Winter_Olympics_–_Ice_dancing
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091002&content_id=7281494&vkey=ice_news

Ah, GrushGons & the power of :TT1:'s politiking. I didn't like D/S's free dance that year as much as Frieda the year before, but I do remember being upset they narrowly missed out on the bronze medal.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

People are confusing 2006 and 2010. 2010 is when she had a baby and had about 5 months after giving birth to prepare for the Olympics. 2006 was where they placed second in the Free Dance, but narrowly lost the bronze because of their placement in the compulsory and original dances. Delobel/Schoenfelder's creative free dances seemed to have served them well. It was the other phases and leaving points off of the table that hurt them (and IMO, politick for Grushina/Gonchorov).

I can see where people were confused though. 2002, 2006, and 2010 had probably the worst Olympic bronze medalists in Ice Dancing history (either the teams themselves or the performances that they gave).

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Delobel/Schoenfelder had a wonderfully creative OD in 2006: they did a Cuban mambo, not a same-old Latin OD.

I don't put F-P/M and Domnina/Shabalin in the same category as G/G.

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Oh you're right. I loved their OD because it was different from the others.

30. skaterdelight

skaterdelight New Member

Agree! Loved what they did with Krylova and Camerlengo 2011-2012 season; same with Weaver and Poje. Both teams had interesting, original, expressive and very artistic programs and execution. 2012-2013 season, both teams had injuries and seemed to be searching for their next move (which is not unusual - one progressive good year, next, maybe not as good). Still technically, Shpilbaum is very good, just kind of generic and schmaltzy programs.