PC to TV Conversion

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Japanfan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Yay!! :dog:

We ordered a PC to TV converter (cost about $50) and it works like a charm - so now we can watch FS stream on TV, either live or archived. We tried both cbc.ca and skate-buzz and it was just fine. And the picture is actually quite good, better than I expected. The link is below (the product number is SW-23000).

We had to perform a few upgrades on the laptap, but it was really quite an easy process.

http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv-ad...e=7218865683&gclid=CK7DsuKfvqcCFQkFbAodcUGCAA

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:shuffle: Sooo does that mean if I get this thing I can watch streaming video on my TV screen, and use my VCR to tape it? So I could watch Universal Sports via online streaming and still be able to tape it? :eek:

3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Yes - I was surprised that we could record the CBC stream on video (and DVD as well I assume). Probably there is no system in place (yet) to block it.

4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

WOW! This is major! This is the clincher for me. If it's possible to record on-line streams and make 'tv quality' DVDs, then we're off and running. No more complaining about events that are only available online.

Of course, this will mean yet another set of wires hanging from my TV/DVR set-up...I hope that the fire dept doesn't condemn my apartment as unsafe.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Great find! I only have a standard TV and all the PC to TV converters I have seen use HDMI ports, but this one uses plain old RCA cables to connect to the TV! It should be perfect.

Amazon.com has it for 37.95 and it is eligible for free super saver shipping (or free 2-day shipping with a trial of amazon prime) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BVVYSM/ref=ox_ya_os_product Plus, I happened to have a $10 amazon gift code, so it's a really good deal!

6. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Interesting - my problem has not been watching on my PC monitor but rather all the buffering and freezing, dropped streams, trouble accessing a high-traffic website.

7. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

That is very irritating. My WiFi connection is slower than my cable connection. My online cable is no where near my TV so I guess I'd have to use WiFi unless I had them put a cable modem in my TV room.

8. BaileyCatts

So will stoopid people with no technikeal skills be smart enough to figure out how to hook this up to your computer, TV and a separate VCR to tape Universal Sports broadcast of Worlds? I've held off ordering to see if we would have Worlds this year. Now I think I really want to get it, but really, I can't even follow directions when it comes to electronic stuff. :shuffle:

Is it easy to get everything hooked up and able to copy to a VCR?

9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

It was easy to hook up to the TV. The kit includes everything. Make sure your laptop or computer has a VGA output though. If you are not sure, either look at your computer or google the computer model to find the specs.

Then plug the VGA, audio cable (into the headphone slot), and USB into your computer. The kit then has red, yellow, and white cables that you plug into the TV. In your case you would be plugging them into your VCR instead. The VCR would already be hooked up to the TV. So before you order, make sure you have an input on the back of your VCR for red, white, and yellow cables. Then what you will have to do is turn the channel on your VCR to "input 1" or whatever the case may be, in order to tape and watch through the VCR.

Hope that makes sense.

10. BaileyCatts

Hey, I have a thingy that looks like that that my monitor is currently plugged into (I have one of those tower unit hard drive thingy's). :eek: So essentially my "tv" becomes the monitor, right? And I plug in this device in the slot my monitor is currently plugged in at and go from there?

:shuffle:

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yeah, that sounds about right. :) If you do end up buying it and you need help, PM me, I'm not great with tech stuff but I'll try to help!

12. BaileyCatts

Thanks so much! :cheer2: I'm lucky I can actually make the VCR work, and your message makes very good sense to me. :)

13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I have a VGA output but my tv is old. I only have one output knob to hook to. I have a little converter thing that I was assured would make my tv compatible with a new dvd but I haven't had much luck with it. I'm tempted to try it again with this pc to tv converter. I'm planning to buy a new tv soon anyway... Thanks for the tip!

14. BaileyCatts

OMG! It works it works! I can't believe I figured it out and made it work!! I am so friggin' happy I can tape it!! :wuzrobbed (these are happy tears!) Thanks so much for telling us about this and helping stoopid people like me figure out how to make it work!!

:cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: