Paul Binnebose back on the ice

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by alilou, Dec 22, 2010.

1. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I'd wondered from time to time what ever had happened to Paul Binnebose after his massive head injury some years ago. Well here's the answer. He's skating, coaching, married, has a son. Just amazing. It was such a horrible injury, one of the worst in skating I think, and he's somehow managed not just to survive but to make a good life for himself. Huge kudos!

Link to article and video
    Skater Binnebose back on the ice, teaching after brain surgery
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2010-12-21-j-paul-binnebose-skater_N.htm

euler likes this.
  2. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link to that article. It is hard to believe that already more than ten years have passed since this horrible accident. I remember it very well. I'm glad that Paul Binnebose recovered so well and also found happiness in his private life.

3. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Woaw, time really flies ! I wrote an article about him years ago, it doesn't seem that far back though. And it actually is ! I'm SO happy for him he has managed to make such a nice life for himself and his family !

4. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

That's so good to know! ;)

5. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

That's great to hear about Paul. Before he moved to L.A., he coached at my rink for a while. He was great to share the ice with and all of his students loved him. I'm so glad he has the opportunity to coach - in addition to his skating expertise, there are many good lessons he can teach his students.

6. PAskate

PAskate New Member

That's great to hear. I expect that he is a wonderful coach.

7. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

So great to hear that Paul is doing well, both as a coach and as a husband/father!

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It's great to see him.
    His students are fortunate to have him as their coach.

9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Just saw this is USA Today. What terrible thing to happen and great recovery!

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Thanks for the link. I'm also just :eek: that this was more than a decade ago.

And :scream: to showing the video :scream:

11. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I love his motivation for being a coach. He seems like a great guy, and it's nice to see that he's been so successful in his life (professional and personal), despite the horrible accident.

I'm surprised to see him skating around without a helmet, though, since I could have sworn that in the first year after his accident he said that he'd never skate without a helmet again and questioned why it wasn't required, as it is in other sports. (Or am I imagining that?)

12. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

was that video of the actual crash? yikes I hate looking at those- I still cant watch the T/M one from skate america- so scary
    And we always think about the girl being the one who is 'brave' or more likley to get hurt- this is good reminder how dangerous pairs skating is for both partners
    Nice to see him doing well and enjoying the ice !

13. Capella

Capella Guest

Does anyone know his wife's maiden name? The article said she was on the ice when his accident happened, but I don't recognize her as any of the Lisas from that era. But then I also didn't know most of the skaters below senior, either.

I'm so thrilled that he's doing so well. I remember him always being the nicest guy, and it's great that his brain injury doesn't seem to have changed his personality.

14. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm so glad for him. That was an awful accident.

15. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Yes it's the actual crash. But head injuries are so weird and random . . . T/M's fall was WAY worse that Paul's (IMO) from what the videos show and yet she could walk away in the end. Natasha Richardson fell on snow and dies the same day from a head injury. Go figure.

I had a really nasty fall on my head once, skull on the ice just like Paul's, and i was fine. But the lesson I've learned from that is to always always always go to the hospital to get checked out for internal injuries.

16. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the article, that's really great to hear.

17. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing alilou! I just had a conversation about Paul with a couple in my row at Skate Canada and was wondering how far his recovery had progressed. So glad to hear he’s doing well. :)

18. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

Great role model of determination and motivation.

19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for posting the article and clip. Wonderful to see how he has come back and made such a fantastic life for himself.

20. Civic

Civic New Member

I'm glad to read that his life is going well. Does anyone know what happened to his former pairs partner, Laura Handy?

21. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

The #1 unwritten rule in pair skating is that the man is to do whatever it takes to make sure his partner is safe. Paul laid down the (almost) ultimate sacrifice and my hat is forever off to him. Brave young man, so glad things are going his way.