Paul and Islam: "No Matter What"

skatingfan04

Just wanted to give a shout-out to team Canada, who had a great finish in the team event! :D:encore:

BTW, has anyone found any pics of P/I in practice? I've been looking around, but haven't seen any.

Pratfall

I like their draw..( I can't believe I got up in the wee small hours just to check it out.) Only two more sleeps to the SD . I'm wishing the best for all 3 Canadian couples , but oddly, maybe especially for P/I... I guess because I felt they've not had the exposure their talent deserves , due to injury.

And arrgh! for the lack of practice reports . We can't get the NBC livestream in Canada I noticed someone posted a brief comment in the V/M thread saying all 3 couples were on practice together , but all that was said about P/I was that she had a pretty white practice skirt .. :lol:

As my Spanish friend used to say... I'm coming more nervous !

MissJD

I've been trying for days to get that live stream to work and it just won't. Idk how that poster watched, but I've tried on multiple phones (yes, very desperate, lol). I can't believe no one is posting practice info!! Skate Canada isn't even tweeting about it.

ETA: Thank you skatingfan04 for the tumblr! So cute!!

Pratfall

Well, time to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps !

I was so gutted to see the slip-up in the twizzles after watching them execute them so well all season..but looking at the way the rest of the competition went , it might not have made a bit of difference.

I hope all three Canadian teams have an excellent FD tomorrow.

clarie

Me too. Here's hoping our Canadian teams have free dances that make them all happy.......not much anyone can do about the crappy judging at this event.

skatingfan04

Me too. Here's hoping our Canadian teams have free dances that make them all happy.......not much anyone can do about the crappy judging at this event.

Yeah this was a rough one for the entire team. Not sure how much that actually affected P/I. They did pay for the mistake, which of course is absolutely what should have happened. I actually think their score wasn't all that bad. They usually get L4 on the twizzles with a good GOE, which adds up to about 6-7 points. Today they got a L2 and a -ve GOE for 3.5 points, so about 3-4 points went right there. Without the mistake, they would have been in the neighborhood of their seasons best. What did make me happy was the Finnstep. They got L3 and L4 in the two segments, which is as good as anyone did, and definitely an improvement on what they were getting earlier in the season. I was also majorly impressed by their recovery. The mistake happened early, and they put it behind them and went clean. You can really tell they're getting good at handling pressure. They both looked so gutted at the end. :( I don't really care about the placement, I just hope that they can have a solid FD tomorrow and really enjoy themselves. They deserve it. :D

Some lovely photos here...
http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Alexandra+Paul/Mitchell+Islam

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
A lovely, lyrical skate. I enjoyed every minute. Good skills, good presentation. They created a great atmosphere. I think they were undermarked but time will help that.

skatingfan04

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. :D I'm SO HAPPY FOR THEM! That was exactly how they needed to skate. The score was low, but at this point I'm not at all surprised. I suspect the scores for the rest of the Canadian team will be even more ridiculous. It's a shame they had that little hiccup into the lift, but it didn't seem to affect the element much overall. What impressed me most, aside from the perfect twizzles, was that they really seemed to get into the performance. Kurt Browning (who is doing commentary for the Canadian station) mentioned it as soon as their program was over. He said they seemed to tune everything else out and skate for each other this time. I'm so glad they did that. I know those types of skates aren't as flashy, and generally don't score as highly, but they're my absolute favourite type. It's really nice to see P/I developing that ability. It also seemed to me that the audience was responding to them. I think they're getting better and better at relaxing and casting a spell. They're obviously paying for their lack of international reputation here, but they did have to start somewhere. They're paying their dues right now, but at least they're getting out in front of the judges and the audience on a big international stage. I'm so proud!:rofl:

I already can't wait for worlds! Now I'm crossing my fingers for the rest of our wonderful Canadian ice dancers.

jamcan

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. :D I'm SO HAPPY FOR THEM! That was exactly how they needed to skate. The score was low, but at this point I'm not at all surprised. I suspect the scores for the rest of the Canadian team will be even more ridiculous. It's a shame they had that little hiccup into the lift, but it didn't seem to affect the element much overall. What impressed me most, aside from the perfect twizzles, was that they really seemed to get into the performance. Kurt Browning (who is doing commentary for the Canadian station) mentioned it as soon as their program was over. He said they seemed to tune everything else out and skate for each other this time. I'm so glad they did that. I know those types of skates aren't as flashy, and generally don't score as highly, but they're my absolute favourite type. It's really nice to see P/I developing that ability. It also seemed to me that the audience was responding to them. I think they're getting better and better at relaxing and casting a spell. They're obviously paying for their lack of international reputation here, but they did have to start somewhere. They're paying their dues right now, but at least they're getting out in front of the judges and the audience on a big international stage. I'm so proud!:rofl:

I already can't wait for worlds! Now I'm crossing my fingers for the rest of our wonderful Canadian ice dancers.
:saint: beautifully said skatingfan04

Congrats Alex and Mitch....you skated beautifully :encore:

clarie

Oh yes, they'll move up in the standings once there have been some retirements. But they've gotten their feet wet, and it's one more experience in their repetoir of competitions. They did skate beautifully. :)

clarie

I just watched it again and it really was lovely skating. I definitely can see them moving up quickly in the ranks. They have all the "goods". I guess I'll transfer my uberism onto these two :) just like I did many years ago for V/M.

mirage

Alex and Mitch have a marvelous lyrical quality to their skating and connection that seems totally genuine. Congratulations to them here and good luck to them moving forward!

Last edited:

skatingfan04

I'm excited to see what the other international commentators said about P/I. I always try and watch any program with multiple commentaries to try and get an unbiased idea of how a team skated, especially when they first get started. The only other one I've been able to find so far has been from the French Canadian channel (both programs are on YouTube). My French isn't that great, so I might have lost a couple of things in translation, but they were very impressed, especially with P/I's lyrical movement across the ice. Eventually, we'll probably be able to see multiple versions of their programs. If anyone finds any, please don't hesitate to post! :D

clarie

This is a team that is still "under the radar" so to speak; however, I'm thinking that this won't last especially with V/M and others retiring, and hopefully P/I getting some further experience on the GP circuit next year.........fingers x'd.

girlscouse62

Yes, I agree clarie, I just hope they don't get shunted aside to allow room for G/P. Especially if Tessa and Scott don't go to WCh, and we end up with only two teams in ice dance next season.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Yes, they live together. There was a recent article about which dancers and pairs were romantically involved. I don't have the link handy, but there was a nice picture and a snippet interview with P&I.

lavenderblue

Yep, this one.

They've never particularly concealed or denied anything, and it's been clear enough in a few ways, but it's nice to see them choose to confirm it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information