Patsy's Parlor XXXVI (Parlor I of the New Era)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Patsy, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Patsy

Patsy New Member

All Are Welcome to Come and Share

Parlor XXXV is now history, and skatingforums is about to become history, but we don't leave behind our memories of blades, gary, Aiden, Sami, Ice, and the others.

This is the 36th Parlor and the 1st Parlor of the "FSU era"!! Saffy, you're still in the same stable; you are the Official Dappled Gray of Patsy's Parlor and a treasured feature. The couches go right over there. The Candle made the trip nicely and is in its place of honor in the center of the dining room table. Anyone can light it for anyone . . . . and just because it's already lit doesn't mean someone else can't light it again.

Here are the usual introductory paragraphs--but still useful reading. If you're an oldtimer, feel free to skip them. If you're new or new-ish, they give an idea of the history and the expectations of The Parlor. We love to have folks post about their life--trivia, minutiae, whatever. Doesn't have to be earth shaking! However, we can "do* earth-shaking if we need to . . . never underestimate the power of Parlor Good Thoughts, Prayers, White Light, and Mojo!

Miscellaneous horror stories of drug dealing, animal abuse, etc. etc. are not Parlor-friendly. If this is your interest, I'm sure you can find a community on the Web to share with--The Parlor is NOT that community. The Parlor is also not a substitute for a personal blog . . . . . going on and on and on and on multiple times a day is a bit much.

Everyone is welcome to come and share in The Parlor as long as they play by the "rules"--no special invitations are given and we love to see new Parlorites post. I do have two requests. First, folks are asked to observe the niceties of capitalization (initial caps in sentences, the personal pronoun I is capitalized); the proper use of apostrophes; no rampant "text speak"; periods at the ends of sentences; and two lines between paragraphs (so that a nice blank line shows after the previous paragraph. These requests are so that those of us who are older can read your posts.

Second request is please keep the proverbial "civil tongue" as we share the good things/bad things/ordinary things of our lives. Celebrate, rant, rave, weep, ask advice, give advice, ask for prayers/white light, babble, share--that's what The Parlor is here for. It's everyday life. Doesn't have to be world-shaking, just talk with us. Please, lurkers! Talk to us!

The Parlor grew out of a thread I posted on the old figure skating world (later became F$W) the end of July 2001 when I had to be on my back 24/7 for 3 weeks. I called it "help keep Patsy sane" and asked that folks just post what was happening in their day, how it was going at work, come in and rant, ask for help, etc. Once I was back on my feet and out in the world again, folks said they had enjoyed having a mythical place to come to, thus "The Parlor".

Of course we still have an ocean-front view. Isn't the sound of the surf great? I have tucked the Soapbox under the sink, the kitties have located their self-cleaning litterboxes, the afghans are all piled neatly, and we're good to go. Someone is already positioned nicely on the reinforced Chandelier which hangs over the dining room table. Saffy's in her stable, the Candle is burning for those who need it, and all's right with the (Parlor) world.

Oh yes, as all veteran Parlorites know, the Prime Directive is USE THE COASTERS. Now watch out for the kitties--they prowl around each new Parlor on moving day and can appear under your feet unexpectedly. Parlor goodies have no calories or carbs, Parlor kitties don't make anyone sneeze; the real lemonade is in the fridge and munchies (no cal) are on the table. All food is safe for diabetics and the margaritas have no alcohol in them, so those on pain pills, chemo, or who must not drink can still enjoy one!

In honor of two departed Parlor stalwarts and friends--always missed and forever loved:

from blades: "do ya ever get the feeling that ms. bielman wishes she'd never done that damn spin???"

and from gary: "Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after"-- Henry David Thoreau

*Patsy posts the memorial shadow boxes for gary and for blades, polishes Aiden's memorial fountain, and makes sure Sami's bush has transplanted safely*
    PeterG, NeilJLeonard, LynnW and 5 others like this.
  2. PAskate

PAskate New Member

Oooooo! For the first time ever, I get to be the first poster in the parlor. Hope everyone's enjoying the weekend.

To the new folks checking out the parlor, welcome and no, we don't bite.
  3. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I mostly lurked in the Parlor on SF, but I wanted to welcome the newbies/refugees from SF. I think you'll find that FSU is a great place with very knowledgable people. Sure, there are those you'd rather ignore, but that's why you've got an Ignore List.

Hope to see the On Ice posters in the MITF section. :)
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

First of all, I'd like to say "Welcome!" :)

I've found that "Off The Beaten Track" is or would be very similar to what you're defining as "The Parlor". We have trivia games in the "Off the Beaten Track" and most of us discuss just about everything here in the "Off The Beaten Track".

I hope you find FSU pleasing, entertaining and a place to come where you can also find the latest skating news and just about everything else on the planet there is.
  5. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I also rarely (if ever) posted in the parlor on skatingforums, but I, too, wanted to welcome everybody.:p
  6. Patsy

Patsy New Member

Thank you for the welcomes.
  7. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Welcome Patsy. Id stay more but my 2 chihuahuas may upset the kitties ;)
  8. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

well, interesting. not sure what life over at skating forums is like, but its sounding more like golden-skate kinda get togethers than fsu. im sorry that the skating forums are shutting down, because even on the internet, it always is hard to lose the place you call home. but it is kinda cheeky to go into another house that is welcoming to you and immediately start painting the walls and rearranging the freaking furniture. of course, this is just a thread and its not like youre all asking for your own subforum, so perhaps ill withhold judgement on the whole kit and kaboodle of yas till i get a better idea of what yall are like. im sure i already know some of ya from another site or from here, and get along just fine. just wanted to add a welcome, and a haha, ya think you can set some specific rules as to how to reply here, and people will automatically follow them? think ya gotta get a little more used to what fsu is all about, and then youll realize the silliness of that particular way of thinking. cheerio, tata old chap and all that happy crappy....
    IceAlisa, Cyn, peibeck and 48 others like this.
  9. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Kasey! Mind your manners. :rofl:
  10. Norlite

Norlite New Member

:respec: You are f*cking awesome Kasey! :respec:
  11. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I think people forget that a lot of people post in both the Parlor and at FSU. I personally have felt at home in both places but I have to say, the manner in which people have responded here has been quite astonishing to me. It begs the old saying - "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all." Kasey, IMHO your post is really out of line - on any message board. I hope that is not the direction that this thread goes because it shows immaturity and intolerance, in my opinion. Go ahead and say whatever you like, I will not respond to you anymore. I just wanted to say that I think what has been said is unnecessary and uncalled for.
    PeterG, Badams, Angela-Fan and 5 others like this.
  12. soxxy

soxxy Guest

:lol:
  13. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Oh yes. Kasey is going to be sent to the woodshed from the Parlor. I must agree that it is a bit tacky to come right on in and start setting rules. :huh: :watch: :lynch: I mean come on now. We welcome new blood, but show a little respect.
  14. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I was there, I've been here too for a few years, and will continue to be here. Hoping that the MITF subforum will perk up--the equivalent had been (sadly) dying out at skatingforums, and the support among the adult skaters there was fabulous.

Anyway, a hug to Saffy, and all are welcome to snuggle with my two large pups (one 13 and recently become a tripod and doing well, the other 3 and a total lovable idiot), who love any and all attention.
  15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I think it's fair to say that anytime someone has posted a thread on FSU that tries to limit who can post or what types of input are welcome (and subsequently unwelcome), the very thing they seek to avoid tends to come crashing in, very quickly. Members aren't thrilled about being given rules here by posters other than SHARPIE and the admin team (and to be honest, some aren't crazy about listening to us either :p ), and are not afraid to say so.

There are a lot of FSU members who've been a part of Patsy's Parlour over the years and are fond of it. I'm sure the thread will do fine here - but it will probably do better if the initial post with "rules" is abandoned, as Patsy does not have any authority to enforce those rules and longtime posters here know it.
    uyeahu, dbell1, Sassafras and 3 others like this.
  16. immoimeme

immoimeme having a nice day

MA! Hey, Ma! Kasey just pissed in the pahlah! :wideeyes:

:watch:
    IceAlisa, feetwerk, Southpaw and 3 others like this.
  17. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Alright guys, chill. If you dont like the thread then there almost 68K others to read. There are a LOT of threads I dont like or participate in here but I dont go and piss on them. That's all.
  18. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

If a poster bothers you so much, try the "ignore" function. Much better than whining. :rolleyes:
    Norlite and (deleted member) like this.
  19. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

Plus this is an international forum with many non-native-English speakers/typers - seems silly to put rules out about proper apostrophe placement, etc.

Actually most of my native English speaking/typing friends have no clue about proper apostrophe placement. But then again they're dumb.

Ah well, I'm taking Sharpie's advice and moving on!
  20. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

What's the parlour, exactly? We just post whatever? If that's the case, then I just had some lovely pizza and beer with my husband, and we're currently watching the bad Sci Fi movie on the SyFy channel. I think the film is supposed to be about meteors striking the earth or... something...

If that's not the case, should I be posting about my cat? ;) He's a very nice cat. Only has one eye, so we like to warn people before they come over so they don't freak out. He's been trying to sit on our pizza box.
  21. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Oooh! Ever hear Johnny Cash sing about that mean ole one-eyed cat?
  22. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Mine is a very sweet one eyed cat. His name is Jackson. Yup, one-eyed Jack. ;)
  23. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Much better name than oh, say, one-eyed Snake.
  24. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Mean Eyed Cat (OK, Johnny doesn't specifically SAY the cat only has one eye but I'd like to believe he does)

Jackson
  25. dbny

dbny New Member

Well, this is pretty much what I figured might happen over here. Some people must never have experienced the warmth and security of a loving home, because that is what the Parlor IS. I guess if you haven't ever experienced it, you might be scared of it. You might be scared of other people sharing genuine feelings with you and maybe even evoking genuine feelings in you, yourself. All of the cr@p being flung at the Parlor now is just scared little kids trying to scare us away. I have a suggestion for you scared little kids. Grow up and come in out of the cold, or take your arrested development to any of the other 68K threads as suggested by Sharpie. We are only asking for one lousy thread on which to be civil and respectful of each other. Fling your poop anywhere else, please.

My sincerest apologies to Patsy for my harsh words.
  26. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Why would you expect anyone here to know what the Parlor IS? Most people here have never been to SF or heard of the parlor before it was dropped in here. The initial post tells people what they CAN'T do, but doesn't say a whole lot about what they can do or why this is here.

And why would you expect to move in lock, stock and barrel? I am very sorry that you have lost your board; it's like losing a home and I understand that. But coming here and telling everyone how to behave on a board that has been theirs for years is like going to another country and complaining that this isn't how things are done at home and lecturing them all about how much better YOUR way is.

If you want this thread to be like the one you're used to, maybe you could try leading by example rather than alienating even more posters than you already have.
    alilou, Sassafras, genevieve and 3 others like this.
  27. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Welcome, have at it. I lurked at sf, and I do on quite a few skating boards.

I would look in on Patsy's Parlor on occasion, but never participate. Enjoy, there's certainly room for this thread. :)
  28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Somehow I don't think this is going to be an effective way of moving forward.

Which is too bad, because to me it looks like some FSUers have been trying to figure out what this thread is about and join the party. SHARPIE did ask existing board members to chill, and since then, they largely have. Now it sounds like they are not welcome.

I think most people here feel bad that you guys are losing your e-home. But you can't import a thread to a new board without integrating some of the culture of that board. I know you were all aware of the culture here on FSU before migrating. You've been discussing it. And while there are salty moments, we're largely a welcoming and fun bunch. Insisting that we're not is, well, kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy innit?

And if you honestly feel that this will be the one shining beacon of support, civility and respect on this board, you don't know FSU at all.
  29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

THE PARLOR IS BACK!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
  30. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Just want to throw out a "Hi" to all the ex SF people here. Welcome.
  31. Prancer

And isn't hated, no matter what people back at the ranch might think. :rolleyes:

Again, everyone is welcome. But you should expect to get some ribbing; it's part of the territory.
  32. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I have no idea what a Patsy's Parlor is, but a big hearty welcome to y'all anyhow :cheer: :40beers: :cheer:.
  33. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

"All Are Welcome" followed by a list of rules? Ahem. So where's the Parlor for people who want to drink, smoke, play poker, gamble, swear, or spell Parlor with a "u"?
  34. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The Hot Tub? :saint:
  35. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I was on skating forums for year and years, and although I checked into the Parlor at times, I never figured out exactly what it was for- just any general chatting, specific chatting?, because it was always the same people and they seemed to know each other so well so I stayed out. There are plenty of threads on FSU I see all the time they I have no freaking idea what they are for- their subjects certainly don't explain, and they always seem to be a continuation of previous threads by similar subjects- I just stay out of those too.

The Parlor never set the rules for the SF board, and they aren't trying to set the rules for this board. Patsy posted what she hopes are guidelines for this THREAD. That's a lot different than trying to make rules for a board. Not to mention many many skating forum members have been FSU members for a very long time (you'll notice Patsy joined in 2002. That's hardly waltzing right on in and trying to take over the place...) But since skatingforums tends to attract active adult skaters and FSU fans, most of us lurked over here, because we were only casual fans.
  36. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

just general chit chat about pets, jobs, family or anything that you might have on your mind but do not see the need to open a thread for. :)
  37. Prancer

That's nice of you, I guess. OTOH, if everyone did that, no one new would ever join in those threads, yet it happens all the time. People usually lurk a while until they figure out what's going on and then they join right in and everyone shifts over to make room without a fuss.

Well, no, it's not. I do understand that Patsy has always posted the same things at the beginning of all her Parlor threads and that this is not something that written just for FSU. *I* don't take it personally and I don't believe most of the other admins do, either, but I am not surprised that other posters do. Again, this thread was basically dropped into the forum; most people have no idea what it is, where it came from or what it's about. All they know is that someone they had never heard of has suddenly appeared and started posting "guidelines" for posting in a thread, complete with in-jokes from another forum.

Are you really surprised that the reaction is "Who are you?" If one of us had suddenly popped up on SF with a long running thread and told y'all how to post in it, would you have embraced the concept?

Yes, we are aware of that, but considering that, I would think that some of you would know what happens when posters here start telling other people how to post in THREADS. It never goes well, and the admins will not back anyone on any rules for any thread other than the rules that are set for the board in general. I could refer you to some specific examples of this if you would like. It's not personal or anti-Parlor in particular.

And if you've been here a while, you should also know that any time someone comes into the board in a particularly noticeable way, some of the other posters are going to poke a bit to see what kind of reaction they get. Some of them are kind of obnoxious about it. It comes with the territory. Contrary to rumor, everything does not go here, but our lines are definitely farther apart than SF's ever were.

Again, I think that if you want this thread to work here, you might a) try to explain what it's all about and what people should do here, and b) be aware that you can't stake out a piece of FSU and call it yours. None of the threads on the open forums are restricted; all members can post in them, whether they follow the OPs intentions for the thread or not. That's the way it is. And considering that this board is much more international than SF and that English is not the first language or even the second or third for a lot of posters here, it might be a little more welcoming to ease up in the conventions recommendations.

Again, you are welcome here; the thread is welcome here. But, as I said before, if you want this thread to be a certain way, you would be best served if you lead by example.

That's cool; sounds like a thread a lot of people will like, once we get past setting the parameters.
  38. Norlite

Norlite New Member

We do already have that, more or less, and have for ages.

They've always been one of the fabulous perks for being a supporter.
  39. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Where thread drift goes to play! :lol:
  40. 1lutz2klutz

1lutz2klutz New Member

Hi, all, glad to meet new people over here at FSU. I've been a long term poster at the Forum and couldn't imagine not having the group from the Parlour to chat with. For those not familiar with what someone called "in jokes", jump in and ask. The tributes noted at the end of the introduction relate to previous members who have died, and who, even as only virtual friends, we still mourn deeply. This is the power of the Parlour- to take strangers from all over the world and create a community of friends to whom you can turn for support, encouragement and laughs.

I'll start by introducing myself. I'm a physical therapist currently pursuing a second doctorate in health education. I started skating in my late 30s and continued for 10 years. Don't skate any more but continue to try to kill myself regularly with cycling, kayaking and other sports. Just came back from vacation where I broke my ankle walking on a level sidewalk...just walking:confused:
    PeterG, Erin, genevieve and 5 others like this.