Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about both VM & PC. We have less than two years to enjoy their wonderful skating so lets do just that - enjoy them. Pray for them and not worry about the marks!

2. fscric

fscric Active Member

Emdee, I concur.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

emdee & fscric, I concur 2.:)
    And I am one guilty party to the commotion. :p

4. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

PCFan, it might be too early for us to judge the quality of Patrick's 3A these days. We know from live reporters he landed this jump solidly several times in practices and warmups this current season. Kurt said he saw Chan in practice and his jumps look fine, it's all going on in his head, Patrick's that is. I suspect he just had a bad takeoff on the 3A in the FS and that's why he underrotated the jump. Chan also underrotated a 3Lz at JO last year but never repeated that mistake all season long as far as I remember. But sure, if Chan underrotating turns out to be more than an accident of early season, I too hope he will do whatever he thinks he needs to do to fix the problem.

What commotion?:confused:

5. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

6. sequins

sequins Active Member

Amen. I'm gonna miss them so much I don't even wanna think about it:( I just wanna savour every performance and enjoy them and their talents no matter what the results. I feel very fortunate to have witnessed their skating careers. They are both an absolute joy and pleasure to watch, can't ask for more than that.

7. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Ok guys, admission: I have yet to view his LP, neither from JO or Skate Canada. I've been pretty mum in this thread and it is not because I have forsaken Patrick. I just want him to skate well. And it's a little heart breaking to hear that he's experiencing challenges. I hope he has an amazing and positive support system around him that can cocoon him, in the way that his fans here are trying to. I really hope he has that in his immediate zone, so that he can be protected, in a way, and encouraged and nurtured.

8. PCFan

PCFan New Member

Great observation. I love the sound of Patrick's blades and the step sequence in his SP is a thing of beauty. Even Simon from British eurosport who has never been a Patrick fan loved his SP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dygp8AyeYeU&feature=share&list=UUpmadplEROgHA_9m0Cse1Gg

9. PCFan

PCFan New Member

I think it's great that Patrick is landing 3A's in practice, but the problem is his technique is breaking down under pressure in the heat of competition. So maybe it is a mental issue and that's where an experienced coach can help.

10. spikydurian

For being naggy and a worrywart. :(

11. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Bad habits usually tend to come back when one is too nervous or under too much pressure or don't trust themselves enough or don't care enough and I agree with you that an elite coach would probably know what to do to calm a skater down or pump him up and instill him confidence before competition. Maybe Patrick missed the 3A in both of his programs at WTT this year because he felt lost and vulnerable without his former main coach by his side, maybe. On the other hand though, while Christy gave Chan the quad and fixed his 3A and Nichol gave him winning choreographies and while he won every eligible competition he entered last season, he started to feel that something was missing and my question is how can a bored, frustrated and unmotivated skater be successful, shouldn't he try to change a few things and go along a different path to regain motivation and interest? Is Kathy Johnson the right person and are the Buttle/Wilson programs the right choreographies to lead him to further success in his skating career? I don't know but at least you can't blame Chan for not trying.

Perhaps someone should tell Patrick that at least he has the approval of British Eurosport.:) Both commentators think that his presentation this year is a step up on previous seasons and that he most likely did the right thing. Thanks, PCfan, I hadn't watched the BE version before.

Oh, that. Well, I personally think you just expressed the concerns and worries of many PC supporters and I don't see any commotion in your feeling the need to share your thoughts with other fans of Patrick. Pleading not guilty for you.:D

12. spikydurian

Article by Scotts Russell, CBC Sports: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/opinion/2012/11/the-field-of-play-patrick-chans-predicament.html

Frank Shorter:"A good athlete always mentally replays a competition over and over, even in victory, to see what might be done to improve the performance the next time".

We support you Patrick all the way. :cheer:

13. elle123

elle123 Member

Well said, spikydurian!

You definitely can't say that Patrick's problem is complacency.

First, all the naysayers that criticized his lack of a quad.
    "You want a quad? How about 3?"

Then his "lack of artistry and movement".
    Boom. Elegie. Poor artistry and beauty.

All I have to say is: Well played, Patrick.

I'm not worried about him at the point in the year because this is the first time he's done 2 new programs in awhile and I think time and more mileage will get those programs were they need to be. This is where Patrick thrives, when the pressure is really on.

14. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Thanks, Clarie.

Here is Patrick with Maxim Kovtun.

http://instagram.com/p/RtK2XliBe1/

I hope Patrick will skate a little bit better at Cup of Russia than he did at Skate Canada and give himself the opportunity to compete on Sochi ice before the 2014 OG by qualifying for the GPF.

16. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I sure hope so....thanks for posting the instagram........cute pic. Go Patrick!!!!!!:)

17. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

From the practice thread for Rostelecom Cup in Moscow:

"The reporter for TV Asahi (Japanese television) twitted that he saw Patrick Chan training and it was all very positive: he jumped a quad out of the blue and the reporter said his skating was very smooth. Looks like there's no need to worry for Patrick then " :)

18. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

We are not worried about Patrick's elements per se. Its just that his body has to accept them with the new program design ie new entrances and transitions. But still good to know that he is jumping well.

Cannot wait to see the programs this weekend.

19. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

From a Russian twitter feed, Patrick wasn't impressive, falling three times. This is pretty normal for Patrick though, so nothing can be read into it.

20. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

21. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I remember years ago Kurt saying that Patrick can skate really badly on the warm up but then nail it down in Competion so we have to just hope that is the case here as well.
    Nice pic but our boy looks a little pale.

22. luckiest1

I wonder if both reports were from the same practice session? :rofl:

23. spikydurian

Thanks VarBar for the pictures. Oh dear ... looks like they got Dornbush mixed up with Patrick. I thought they look quite different! :D
    Yeah, good luck Patrick.

24. PCFan

PCFan New Member

Looking for Patrick to rebound today and :kickass:

25. luckiest1

Like you can, Patrick! ;)

26. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

My highlights in Patrick's skate of today:

1. He got his 3A back and it was gorgeously executed.
    2. He didn't fall.:lol:

Patrick would have scored higher, I guess, if he had left the 4T a solo jump and gone for the jump combination in the second half of the program. He looked so nervous when he took his starting position that I thought he would totally bomb but he didn't. Go, Patrick.:kickass:

27. walei

walei Well-Known Member

:lol: he said during the press conference that he didn't know doing a single in a combo jump would get you -3 so that's never going to happen again I'm sure.

Good rebound for PChiddy!

28. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm surprised he did that, but still........what an improvement. This program is developing beautifully. Good luck to him in the LP.

29. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Gorgeous 3a from Chan today. Wish he could do that every time out.

Love this program by Buttle.

30. PCFan

PCFan New Member

^^^ ITA the 3A was wonderful with a gorgeous running edge to boot. :cheer:

I also love this program by Buttle, but it's the execution by Patrick that takes it to another level.