Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I'm not so sure about this, if only because of Hanyu's asthma.

2. fscric

fscric Active Member

I'm just glad that Patrick might not have been left in the dust yet. :)

3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

There IS double standard! There was so much taunting which I find unreasonable and distasteful. One would have thought Patrick mudered their families to deserve such hatred.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Don't you think that if Hanyu could win the silver medal with 5 major mistakes, Chan would be entitled to the gold medal with just 4? Seems only fair to me. The more so as I find Chan's falls to be more aesthetically pleasing to look at than Hanyu's.;)

Not sure Hanyu would like to know that people pity him for his asthma. Just a thought.

Hanyu skated brilliantly in the SP and I have no problem at all with his 95 points score.

lol Some people tend to forget that it's not over until it's over and the game isn't over yet, quite far from it.

Don't know what to expect from Patrick at Skate Canada. No falls in at least one of his programs would probably be too much to ask from him so early in the season but of course I woudn't mind being pleasantly surprised whether in Elegy or La bohème. Speaking of which, I rewatched his new LP the other day and I think there's still a lot of work for Patrick to do between the jumps for this program to look really but really polished. His Aranjuez looked more competition ready to me in its little details at JO of last year than La bohème did this year.

5. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this shouldn't be too much of a surprise/worry seeing as this is the first season in how long where he has had two new programs? Not to mention a new coaching situation and possibly most important getting used to 2 new choreographers after an awfully long time with a choreographer who was probably so in tune with Patrick and the way he works as well as his strengths and challenges.

6. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Hanyu scares me but he is very young and Patrick has experience on his side. I look forward to this season of competition! Yes, I am quite nervous about Skate Canada....it's always tough to be working through problems on home ice with the media in your face. I hope this week goes well for Patrick. I am starting to get packed to leave! Will be sitting in the first row all weekend. :)

7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Lucky U, Luckiest1Skate Canada, and a front row seat. Have fun.....Fingers x'd for Patrick :)

8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Enjoy Luckiest1
    Front row will be fabulous. Sent PC plenty of Luuurv! Also to V&M though their program already looks full of love and quite hot!

9. spikydurian

Luckeeeee you indeed! I am so jealous. Do post what you see … we want to hear from you.

Absolutely agree!

Yes, he skated very well and deserved to be first in SP. Hanyu is very talented.

I agree. I think he is less ready at JO this year. I think it will be well and ready by Canadian Nationals.

Indeed, with two new programs and change in coaches and choreographers, I also think that Patrick needs longer time to adjust. He is aiming to qualify for the Grand Prix Final as he indicated he is keen to see Sochi. Don’t know how well he will fare in GP as the other skaters have upped their jumps too which is good for all figure skating fans. I won’t worry even if he doesn’t win gold in GPF. I prefer to him to peak at the right time.

10. spikydurian

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2012/10/25/sp-skate-canada-preview-patrick-chan.html

:lol: Exactly how I feel.

This gives me some reassurance.:)

11. naan

naan New Member

Just watched Patrick's SP practice. He looked nervous at the beginning, but everything was great except 2A.
    He did 4T, 2A, and 3Lz-3T. His jumps looked fine! I like EX program more, but it's a good program and suits him well.
    Go Patrick! :)

12. vigiliae

vigiliae New Member

Enjoy luckiest1! Hope you are at least luckier than me abd watch two almost clean programs from paddy

Just watched the revised elegy and i cannot say i loved it.. music cuts were weird here n there, step was not worked well with the music. The transition into 3lz was fantastic though.
    BTW was it a quad toe? It was so smooth and i am confused.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  13. naan

naan New Member

^ I think it was 4T. Wasn't it great?

14. vigiliae

vigiliae New Member

If it was a quad toe then it was damn gorgeous, probably one of the best I've seen from him. Hope he brings it at the actual competition with a successful 3A.

15. naan

naan New Member

Yeah, it was gorgeous!
    I agree with you that step was not worked well with the music. I felt something was missing...?
    BTW Patrick looks thinner than before.

16. vigiliae

vigiliae New Member

He finished way behind the music n it is possible that he was already late at the spin preceding the step. Still do not like the use of music n added choreography in the step section-too many Buttle-esque moves IMO.
    But as I said before I'll wait n see how the program grows at least for GP events.

17. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Yeah I noticed that too. Patrick must still be shaken up by the JO disaster and the media and fan reaction to his meltdown there, I'm guessing he will need some time to regroup mentally and emotionally and rebuild his confidence. Great run-through opening though with that gorgeous quad jump, he did it so easily that you would say it had only three revolutions in the air instead of four.

Not particularly thrilled with how Jeffrey designed the footwork section either and I feel (in fact I know from previous programs) that Patrick's feet are capable of far more challenging things than I've seen in the video. I also wish Patrick could have kept the choreography into his final spin from his ex version of Elegy, ideally. But the transition into the combination of jumps is really mind-blowing and Chan's skating is as fluid and efortless as ever. Love his program overall, hopefully he'll be able to bring his 3A back in competition soon and skate to full potential. Go Patrick.:kickass:

18. spikydurian

Here is his practice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga9nhJyDkyo
    I stayed up late just to watch his practice. The streaming was bad when it came to men's .. slow motion effect. :(Nevertheless, happy to see that he had a good practice. Now I need cups of strong coffee to keep me awake at work. :D

19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the SP Spiky. Couldn't watch today and I'm liking what I see........

20. spikydurian

Patrick Chan surrounded by new team of choreographers, coaches ahead of Sochi
    http://www.brandonsun.com/sports/br...s-coaches-ahead-of-sochi-175873811.html?thx=y

It makes sense Patrick. It makes sense that you probably wish to explore beyond your comfort zone prior Sochi, and in especially if you are likely to retire after the Olympics. Now is the time. Just do what you think best for only YOU can control the outcome. I am behind you all the way but try not to turn me into a nervous wreck if you can.:p

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  21. sequins

sequins New Member

I confess I haven't seen anything of Patrick's programs yet. After hearing about the JO I avoided it like the plague and I'm pretending the season hasn't started for him yet, hope he can do the same.The program looks lovely, he looked unhappy but maybe it's just a moment and means nothing. I can't wait to see him this weekend and I hope he skates almost perfect (almost because it's too early to be perfect) and I hope he enjoys himself more that anything. I'm really getting tired of the Patrick bashing, it's brutal and I hope he doesn't read it, at least not the worst of it anyway.

22. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Can we have the title change from "Road" to Sochi to "Roar" to Sochi? :p

23. jettasian

jettasian New Member

I also much prefer the EX program than this. I don't recognize much that it's from the EX. There are several moves I love in the EX are not here anymore and I find the EX shows off his SS more than this one. So kind of disappointed.

24. luckiest1

Yesterday's practice sessions were awesome. I thought Patrick looked fantastic in the morning session, and as you've all seen, his run through of the SP was almost perfect. The later session he ran through the LP, and he did land the quad-triple right off the top, but fell on the second one. Still, he is one of the only guys going out there on practice and doing full run throughs, not skating through jumps or only performing certain sections of the music. I have a much better feeling about his state of preparedness for this competition after watching him practice yesterday. The jumps are there. He looks focused. The crowd was nuts because they brought in groups of school kids all day, and at one point when Patrick was trying to perfect his triple/triple they were chanting "Patrick Patrick Patrick" very loudly. He ignored until he got it just perfect, the way he wanted it, and then he gave them a smile and a wave. :)

Go Patrick! :) Can't wait for tonight.

25. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

OMG, I wish I could have been there. I, so, want to see him back......and awsome. I know it's too much to ask for a clean skate for so early in the year, but I hope he can get through it all without so many. He sounds like he is focused and that's good to hear :). I"m such a disgusting fan, right?

26. spikydurian

Thanks luckiest1. I wish I was there with you all cheering him and the others on. I could only cheer in front of my computer. :(Like you Clarie, I don't think it'll totally clean but hope he does much much better than in JO. Continue posting your thoughts, luckiest1. Enjoy. (Good night for now over my end.):)

27. luckiest1

He looked good again this morning and I love the SP outfit! I hope he can stay on his feet tonight...not expecting perfection this early in the season, just a decent skate.

28. spikydurian

Good morning luckiest1. I got up on time (but earlier than normal) and caught the last 3 ladies skate. Waiting for the men's comp to start in a few hours time. :)
    Happy to hear Patrick has a decent morning practice and I am looking forward to a decent skate from him too. Cool calm nerves are needed to be a Patrick fan. :p

29. luckiest1

Well, he pretty much stayed on his feet. :eek: It's a shame about the axel because he has been landing the majority of them in practice, with the odd hand down. I think he'll nail the quad tonight, because he really hasn't been struggling with it much that I have seen this weekend. Other than the jumps, I love the program! It really is gorgeous. I think Jeff should choreograph for him every year. :)

30. fscric

fscric Active Member

Thanks, luckiest1. Hope Patrick will have a better skate today.