Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I was really bored with the program, much to my chagrin. Nice movements in it but there is almost nothing memorable about it. Fortunately, Patrick can just stroke around the rink and I'm captivated.

2. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

For Clarie and anyone else who feels this way, I have stopped full stop going into those threads because it was having a disproportionately negative affect on me. Funny, how the opinions of strangers upon a stranger can hurt ones feelings. But what really crossed the line for me was when I realized that those threads and posters were actually taking away my enjoyment and love for the sport. That's just not cool, and so ridiculous. We're all fans, right? We're all here to enjoy the sport. So I'm going to keep my love for it by sticking with you guys.

And yes, I'm also too chicken to watch the FD. It's all good though. Patrick is amazing.

3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

So true.

4. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I too like Nichol's work but I usually appreciate it with my mind rather than my heart and I feel that La Boheme is a more musical program from the beginning to the end than most of the programs Lori choreographed for Patrick. Wilson puts sentiment into his choreographies and this is somehow transferred to the skater's performance as well. My perception could be all wrong but I do think Chan skates La Boheme with more freedom and enjoyment than he did Aranjuez where I often found him tense and not letting himself go 100% even on his good days.

I have to wonder if Chan will ever get to nail both quadruples in this new program because unlike some other skaters he's got a lot of transition skating into them - steps, turns, arm movement - and there's little time left for him to prepare those jumps.

Btw, does anyone know what spot in La Boheme Patrick was planning to do his second jump combination in?

5. vigiliae

vigiliae New Member

His planned jump layout at JO included 4T3T, 3Lz2T and 3F1lo3S iirc.both triples were in the second half. However I saw him doing a transiton move right after the 3F in the warm-up so I asuume the triple jump combination layout is actually flexible.

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Well articulated, jl22aries . Let us not allow these people take our pleasure away from watching figure skating. I am sticking with you guys too! :)

Yes, Clarie. I find this type of obsessive compulsive hatred incomprehensible. I would like to think that God (if you believe in one) gave us bigger brains and hearts for a reason. If these people think they are doing the sport a favour, they are dead wrong. When I see people smashing public properties when their teams lose, I (sadly) associate the sport with fanatical behaviours. Having said this, thank goodness I still love watching figure skating and the skaters whose incredible skills continue to awe and give us much joy. On the contrary Claire, the more the haterzs attack Patrick, the more determined I am to love him and his skating because reason and heart dictate that I should protect those who are being crucified. Go Patrick go.

Vigiliae, thank you for sharing your opinions on Patrick’s program and skating. His JO skate is reminiscent of his skate when he was a junior which I have watched on you-tube. He would skate as was practised despite falling again and again. When I first watched these vids, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-0QSGLcl_c I thought … “gee .. this kid is a tough cookie”. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanks so much guys. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who feels this way. My big hope is that Patrick pulls himself together for the rest of the season. This is turning out to be the "Patrick Chan Support Thread"....lol

8. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

:lol: More like "Patrick's Fans' Support Thread"!

9. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I've stopped going into most competition threads for exactly this reason. In the past two or three seasons it seems that the threads have become so negative (not just towards Patrick, but toward many skaters) that my reaction after reading them was, "Do I even want to bother watching this competition when it is broadcast? It sounds pretty bad" - when, in actual fact, the competition was very interesting and entertaining when I watched it. After a few occurrences like this, I decided the information from the play-by-play threads did not counterbalance the overall negative attitude they engendered.

It's unfortunate, since I'm sure I miss quite a bit of useful information and some witty comments, but I think I enjoy the competitions much more withouth the help of the competition threads (and 'those' threads are one step lower than the play-by-play threads).

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

The planned elements of each skaters were open to the public in a website.
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/channel/live/show/winter/1352&manual=1
    (Sorry, all written in Japanese.)

According to this, Patrick's elements were:

4T-3T/4T/3Lz/StSq/CCSp/3A/3Lo/3Lz-2T/FSSp/3F-1Lo-3S/ChSq/2A/CCoSp

As vigiliae said, he did 3F after 3F-1Lo-2S during the warm-up. I remember the lady sit next to me said, when seeing this jump, "Oh, he jumps high!"

Watching his skate on the big screen in my house, I enjoyed his performance as well as beautiful music very much.
    (Actually I didn't enjoyed much at JO, I just crossed fingers throughout his performance.:lol:)

Now I notice how he paid so much attention to every detail of the choreography. No wonder he missed the rhythm of jumps.

And that second 3Lz! Do you remember the entrance of 3Lz at his SP "Tango de los Exilados"? That was one of my favorite entrance into 3Lz and it's back!
    Of course it's very difficult and risky because if he fall like this time, he lose many points because it is the second 3Lz and it has to be a combination. But how gorgeous it would be if he succeeds it! :cheer2:

Anyway I'm not worrying about his jumps. He did great 4T-3T and good 3A during the practice as I said before. He has not lost his beautiful jumps. And I'm sure this beautiful program will develop in due time.

11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thank you Ali dorate. That eases my mind somewhat. The way people have been going on in other forums/threads, it seems as though he had "lost" all his jumps. I'm cautiously optimistic that the jumps will re-appear when he has more mileage on this program.....maybe by Skate Canada only 3 falls, by the next only 2, and so on :). By the time Worlds comes around, he can skate clean :)

12. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Exactly!

13. spikydurian

JO 4 falls
    SC 3 falls
    COR 2 falls
    GPF (maybe) 1 fall
    Candian - 1 wobbly landing
    Worlds - perfection!

:lol: Oh Clarie I like your prediction .. <3 for you all the way from Down Under.

Ali dorate, thanks for your opinions/post. They are reassuring to our eyes and hearts.

14. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Thank you vigiliae and ali_dorate. Seems like Patrick changed the order of his jumps a bit against last year when his first three jump passes were 4T/3T, 4T (or 4T, 4T/3T), and 3A if memory serves, whereas now it's a 3Lz in the place of the 3A.

How could I possibly forget Tango de los Exilados...it's that program that made me fall in love with Chan's skating when I wached him at 2009 Canadians. But do you think there would be enough room between the landing spot for that 3Lz and the rink boards for Patrick to throw a second jump after it even if it's a jump with just two revolutions in the air?

clarie, haters in general are really not worth spending time on. Have you finally watched his La Boheme? I promise Chan's multiple mistakes don't ruin the choreography much or the mood of the program for that matter.:)

15. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

:yikes: I finally watched..........very painful!!!! But, it's going to be a beautiful program when he gets it together with the jumps.

16. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I finally watched today, also. When he wasn't falling, he was fabulous.:)

17. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I too felt his pain Clarie. Did you notice how he flew into a fall a couple of times. Ouch! Poor Boy.

18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

As an afterthought, I thought I might add that I would rather see a skater show some gumption and attempt the difficult jump, rotate, and fall, rather than "pop" it. I've always been frustrated watching some of my favs do that. Patrick shows a lot of courage to at least attempt the jumps even when he is having an off day or is not quite comfortable. I think that is what makes for his successes later on in the season..........any thoughts on that?

19. spikydurian

CBC article: Patrick Chan admits being &#8216;intimidated&#8217; at Japan Open
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2012/10/17/sp-patrick-chan-figure-skating.html
    Oh Chiddy. Life&#8217;s journey is often long and full of bumps. Every now and then, we fall, get up, reassess our priorities and needs, and move on in our journey and next goal. I am happy to hear that you took time to reassess your priorities and needs and determine what really needs to be done. Go Chiddy go. The most important thing in falling is the ability to get up and move on. You have shown that you can do it in your skating.

20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Here's hoping he never feels "intimidated" again :). There's not reason he should be, and I hope he's as good as his word and picks himself up to finish the season with success.

21. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Thanks so much, spikydurian!

It seems that Patrick needs this kind of bumps once in a while. He bumped in Vancouver. He got up and better than ever. Hope he could get up soon enough for this season.

22. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I am a bit confused...Patrick mentions his "programs" at JO but in fact he only skated the long, correct? I am not missing a video of the short, am I? Because I can't wait to see the short! :swoon:

23. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

No, you aren't. Patrick only skated La Boheme in competition and his exhibition number was Til Kingdom Come.

24. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

It is so very difficult being at the top. The seasons are long. The time until Sochi is either soon or far, depending on one's perspective.
    The JO experience was likely invaluable. No better time to have a skate like that than before the meat of the season begins.

25. spikydurian

I agree leapfrogonice. In terms of training, it's two seasons away and still anything can happen between now and then. I am glad that Patrick is able to look at all these experiences introspectively, for it is only from within that change and understanding can arise. I like the fact that he took on new challenges to test himself. Just train well and do your best. Go Patrick go!

26. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I remember Christy Krall said of Patrick after she resigned that he went to 4 really tough months leading into the Worlds in Nice, that he felt frustrated and unmotivated during that time - pretty much the same as Chan said himself. Now I hear from Patrick that he was still missing motivation before Japan Open and it's a bit puzzling to me because he's got two new programs he says he loves and he seems pretty happy with his coaching situation.

I just hope Patrick will realize that he needs a technical coach by his side and more scientific training, I would have said that even if he had won JO with a perfectly clean skate. I understood from him that he plans on including a quadruple flip in his long program by Nationals, can Kathy Johnson teach him how to fully rotate that jump?

spikydurian, thank you for the link.:)

27. Eyre

Eyre New Member

I think she can teach him how to rotate four revolutions in the air, but she can't teach him how to land it on his blade on ice.:p

28. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

It makes me think of Jeff Buttle retiring before the 2008/9 Season even though they were 1 year from the Olympics in Canada. He said he didn't have the drive to train anymore. I hope that this is just a slump for Patrick and not him losing his drive halfway to the next Olympics.

29. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Looks like Patrick has some company in the "fall" department, but I don't see anyone complaining about it .....hmmmm. Now if it had been Patrick with 3 falls and coming 2nd, there would have been another uproar. Methinks there's a double standard here with many.

30. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Yup so many excuses:
    Poor Hanyu he is young
    Poor Hanyu he had a bad day
    Poor hanyu he has asthma
    Poor Hanyu its Brian Orser's fault etc etc etc

I adored Hanyu's Sd at SA. He filled the ice completely. But I think the weight of expectations got him. There is something to be said for maturity as a skater and he has to mature and learn to control the flutters.

The strange part was the reaction to Hanyu's great SD from Dai supporters. Some seemed really paranoid that he would win over their adored Dai.

I think Hanyu will be Patrick's main competition at Sochi and the man who puts two good programs down will win.