Patrick Uber Thread - road to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Sep 10, 2012.

1. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

PeterG! This is where you employ your fantastic sense of humour as shield and barricade, don't you dare let your enjoyment get trampled!

2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

PeterG, you say in all for me, and this is exactly how I feel and think too. (Wise people think alike).:D I have never utter anything bad about any skaters ever .. not on FSU, GS or even you-tubes not even when those I wanted to see win, lost. I may disagree who is more interesting in my opinion but that's about it all. I cannot comprehend the unwarranted viciousness, childishness and hypocrisy of it all. Sometimes, I think I live on another planet. (But I have decided to live partly on FSU planet until Chan retires).

Corianna, I know it may be best to put them on ignore but like PeterG said, it comes a time when 'enough is enough'. Let us give them their own medicine! There are many ways we can shove the bs they dished out back to them. ;) Honestly, I have been controlling myself all these while .. bidding my time and I am watching. Like they say... save the best for last.

Let the interesting journey to Sochi begins. PeterG, like Accordion said, can we vote you as PM? :lol: We need someone who can crack us up occasionally and you have the special touch. <3PeterG

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Hi PeterG!
    Wise words from corianna, spikey and others here. The hysteria over skaters is ridiculous! I doubt that any of us can change haterz and so I try to make my points politely and respectfully on whatever topic and then move on if the hater/trolls hijack a thread. Yes, one has to take a stand, but pick your battles! It's not easy because trolls will try so hard to bait you and there's always someone who will fall for it and jump in. So many interesting threads get derailed! Sad.
    But PeterG, really, why do you even want to know what those people think? Do you really want a slew of anti-Patrick venom coming your way? At least I think that's what you were asking. Hope I'm wrong. P. is not a politician so I don't think we need to scrutinize every word and (mis)interpret what he's saying. Lighten up! He's an athlete and world peace is not at stake here.
    Wait until post-Sochi. When Patrick and Virtue/Moir retire, who will be the next targets?
    All this having been said, I fully intend to enjoy my fave skaters no matter what others say. My life has been so much more enjoyable since I've blocked the half dozen who seem to want to ruin things for everyone.

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

We know the targets are usually eville Kanadians who win stuff........next one? Kaetlyn?...I think that has already started in some threads, etc. esp. on another forum not to be named ;)

5. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I don't plan to get into arguments or to bait troils. I'm just going to state facts. Like the pressure thread. How can you see a three-time World gold medallist can't handle the pressure. So I stated that he did enough to win, so he handled the pressure on the world stage just fine and took the top prize. Then again. And then again. If his falling means that he can't handle the pressure, then that means every single male skater below him must be a complete and utter whack-job that needs to be institutionalized immediately as they performed to a lesser degree than Patrick. So I'm not going to be mean. But if somebody sticks their feet in their mouth in the stupidest of ways and I bump their knew pushing the foot down a little further...oh well. :p

I want to be able to read threads which might have information about Chan. And I want to read the threads without having to listen to person after person talk about how Chan is supposedly some mystical magician who controls the ISU and all their judges, hexing them into giving him gold medal after gold medal while he falls on every jump he attempts. It's ludicrious.

6. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Your thoughts make a whole lot of sense to me! And I love your signature! There are some good ones. I'm planning one from the Dalai Lama once I figure out how to do it:
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

8. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

It's much easier to accept the possibility of judging bias when the judges possibly favour a skater one really likes. But in that case, usually one sees legitimate reasons for why that skater is scored as he/she is or they are. And the same arguments circulate all the time: skater x or team y won because they are technically superior or artistically superior. And whenever a less-than- clean-skate beats a clean skate, the argument is almost always superior artistry.

I too have bided my time when skaters that were not my favourite dominated and were seemingly favoured by the judges. This was the case for ice dance throughout most of the 90s and 2000s subsequent to K&P, into the 200up until D/W and V/M came onto the scene. And I waited patiently for Shen and Zhao to finally get the recognition they deserved. I was among those who thought they should have beat B&S in 1999 and was horrified at how their historic bronze medal win was completely overlooked during the SLC pairs scandal. So I waited and waited, just as I waited out a long series of dance teams that I didn't much care for dominating the field . But no, I didn't spend time criticizing those skaters/teams.

And you won't be getting any PMs from me Peter G. Patrick is candid and forthcoming, which means he can be tactless at times. Personally, I find that refreshing. He sounds like a person, not a PR parrot.

10. spikydurian

Thanks Clarie. Happy to hear Patrick and the cast took time off to get nice tan, enjoy the views and smell the ocean air. I am sure the time they spent together as a 'family' will strengthen their bonding. Good luck to them for their preparation to Sochi. Patrick will probably leave for Taiwan and China soon for Artistry on Ice in June. I can't wait to know what music he has chosen for his LP, and of course ... what Tu Ly has in mind of his costumes.

11. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Skate Canada &#8207;@SkateCanada
    This photo taken at the @Cdnolympicteam media day has been approved by @pchiddy and @Kirsten_MT for Twitter!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKLcmL4CYAAzFL-.jpg:large

VANCOUVER, BC - MAY 13: Patrick Chan poses for a portrait during the Canadian Olympic Committee Portrait Shoot on May 13, 2013 in Vancouver, BC, Canada

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...rait-during-the-canadian-news-photo/168879110

You will get more pictures if you click on "More images like this."

RBC Canadian Open &#8207;@RBCCanadianOpen
    RT @rbc: Thanks @Pchiddy, @TheGolfCanada for support of @RMHC Canada as official charity partner of #RBCCanadianOpen

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKzxXoRCUAAjNJa.jpg:large

http://postimg.org/image/7edh495dt/

http://postimg.org/image/adoz5448x/

This last one is from the SOI tour. :smokin:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJ2jPC4CcAAgYH2.jpg:large

12. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Ooooh, thanks for all the pretty pictures! :) I'm hoping we get the Grand Prix announcements for rosters by next weekend.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. spikydurian

I read that you are still deciding whether to watch Skate America? Will you be going for the Canadian Nationals, luckiest1?

I am dying to know what's Patrick's LP is though I suppose it is unlikely we will get to know until nearer to the start of the Grand Prix competition. Also wondering who will be doing Patrick's new EX? Buttle? Camerlengo? or ... someone we never thought about? Will Tu Ly teased us again with the costumes? I guess he will be designing a new costume for Elegie? Aw.. so many questions. :( ... will have to learn to be patient.

And thanks VarBar for the collection of Patrick's pictures. Always happy to Patrick's big big smile!

14. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

15. luckiest1

Yes, I am definitely going to Ottawa for Canadian Nationals in January. My quandry is whether to attend Skate America (a short two hour drive) or Skate Canada (an expensive flight to NB). I know no one expects Patrick to choose Skate America as his second Grand Prix, but I never say never. They are supposed to release the assignments on the same day that tickets go on sale.

ETA after looking at flights, I've decided I can't afford Skate Canada. I'll see who skates at Skate America and decide whether it's worth attending.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  16. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

With 2013 Skate America being held in Detroit, SA would be a most convenient destination for Patrick as his second GP but no, I don't expect him to choose the US Grand Prix. Also, I don't think Cup of Russia would be such a great choice for the North-American skaters who are the most likely to qualify for the GPF given that CoR will be the last GP in the series next season and the skaters would have to fly from Russia back to North-America I guess, and then fly off to Japan just one week later to compete in the Grand Prix Final.

17. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Luckiest if you get to know when Nats tickets are out let me know. I will also PM you if I come to know.

18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm also planning on going to Nats........Last chance perhaps to see Patrick compete (V/M as well)........probably go later in the week or on the weekend. I'll be watching to see when tickets are for sale as well.

19. spikydurian

Sounds logical, and he has always skated in TEB except last year. Did COR pick Patrick or Patrick picked COR? (Sorry, I am not sure how the selection system works). If he does pick SA, it's probably there's no travelling involved since he's training there now.

V&M is skating in Skate America this year, aren't they?

20. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

We'll find out Monday, but I can't imagine that V&M and Patrick aren't doing Skate Canada - for Skate Canada's box office if nothing else. I also can't imagine V&M being placed up against D&W before the GPF. Kevin was at SA last year I think, but since he's now clearly our number 2, he might be at Skate Canada as well. I rather doubt if Javi will be there this year. We'll find out Monday. If Patrick does Cof R I'd be tempted. I've never been to Russia.

21. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

1-2-3 at Worlds don't meet each other in the GP. 4-5-6 at Worlds don't meet each other in the GP. So, D&W and V&M or Patrick and Javi or V&T and S&S or Yu Na and Mao, etc. won't compete against each other in the GP.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  22. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

This must be a new rule I haven't been aware of because Takahashi and Hanyu met at NHK last season although Daisuke was the silver medalist and Yuzuru the bronze medalist at 2012 Worlds. Likewise, the 2012 Worlds 4th place finisher Joubert and the 5th place finisher Amodio met each other at Eric Bompard last year, didn't they?

23. luckiest1

Is it Monday yet? :p

24. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Likely these were because most skaters pic and host pics were involved.

25. spikydurian

Everyone is excited indeed including myself even though I am only watching on a rectangle screen from afar. :lol:

Good idea to combine sightseeing with a touch of sport. How long is the flight from Canada/Toronto to Russia/Moscow? Looks like we will have to wait to check out the second picks of Patrick and V&M. Yeah, last season to watch them both skate. :(

26. luckiest1

Ok, so picks are up and Patrick chose TEB for his second. Ah well. I think I may still take in Skate America, as Daisuke is skating there and it's so close to home. :)

27. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I've just booked for Skate Canada. Who else is coming? Sorry you aren't, Luckiest 1. I'm tempted by Detroit as well, but have to hold off on that for now.

28. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Patrick skated at Cup of Russia in 2010 as well and placed 2nd behind Verner there. He was also assigned to CoR in 2009 but had to withdraw due to illness/injury if I am not mistaken. Maybe some people would have wanted Chan and Virtue/Moir to go to Cup of Russia again like they did last season considering that the Olympics are held in Russia but I honestly don't think that the judges who will be judging in Sochi would be inclined to give any extra points at the OG to the skaters who will be competing at CoR this coming season. lol TEB is a very wise choice for them in my opinion for the reasons I mentioned earlier and would SC have been able to get TEB for Kaetlyn Osmond too, all the national champions of Canada would have gone to the same two Grand Prix.

Coincidentally (or not), Chan, Brezina, Hanyu and Miner will meet each other in both of their Grand Prix events next fall.

Chan/Nan Song/Brezina was the TEB podium in 2011. Chan, Nan Song and Brezina are three of the TEB competitors in 2013 as well. lol

29. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Last season was an exceptional case. Usually Skaters/couples who have placed 1 – 3 at Worlds don't meet each other as mahn said (same rule applied to 3-6) . That's why they are called "Seeded Skaters/Couples" in GPS assignment.
    So last year I was surprised to see Daisuke and Yuzuru were allotted at NHK. I think host wanted both skaters because, while Daisuke was the reigning national champion in that season, Sendai is Yuzuru's home town affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake. So they made a "trade" with French skaters.

This GPS must be tough for Patrick cause he'll meet Yuzuru twice.
    Yuzuru reportedly made the following comment about meeting Patrick twice after the release of the assignment yesterday.
    "I'm happy because he inspires me a lot. This gives me the best chance ever. By competing against I expect to find what's missing in me".

I like his spirit though he is a big threat for Patrick. I hope this opportunity will inspire Patrick too.

30. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I love this!